Small College IT Dept needs flashlight recommendations

oops

Newly Enlightened
I have been tasked by the CIO to get 8-10 rechargeable flashlights for $20.00-30.00 (each) price range. The flashlights are for emergency and power outage events.

I have since explained to the CIO there is a severe lack of acceptable choices in that price range. I believe the best we can do in that price range will be non-rechargeable flashlights stored with lithium primary batteries. I also encouraged him to add 1-2 headlamps and lantern type lights to the mix.

Flashlights will be used by non-enthusiasts, so they need to be simple (1 mode best possibly 2 mode acceptable, prefer button activated but twisty may be acceptable), reliable & durable (could sit for months or years and still need to be ready to go), water resistant (location is in Florida), bright (~100 lumens +or -, more is better), long run time (at least 1 hour of runtime).

I am leaning toward recommending AA based flashlights - something like the mini maglite pro,or the rayovac virtually indestructable 2AA light; storing them with lithium primaries and using alkalines on hand for battery changes (if needed). Also, maybe an energizer triple beam headlamp (or I might try to talk up to a PT Quad or EOS) and I haven't looked into lantern style lights, yet.

Budget is pretty firm limitation.

Looking for recommendations & thoughts (especially for a reasonable, non-blue tint, or higher CRI - we do sometimes need to identify wiring).

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Xeno E03 XML there around thirty dollars, warmwhite XML (has three modes, not single mode) runs on AA or 14500 ;)
is my first thought.
Fenix E11 would be a great option too ;)

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
Quite a few years ago I was tasked with something similar at a place I did volunteer work for. I didn't get to choose the flashlight, my job was to come up with a wall mounting for the chosen lights. The chosen flashlights were those square 6 volt lanterns with a built in handle. This turned out to be a pretty good choice for several reasons. They were easy and inexpenive to buy. They were bright and the square design prevented them from rolling away. They were easy to use and easy to replace batteries. The batteries lasted a long time, both on the shelf and in use. Lastly, those 6 volt batteries pretty much only have one use, so the spares were not as likely to walk away as did AA or D cells. I came up with a four sided box with a slot cutout for the handle that worked so well, that they are still in use today...almost 15 years later :)

I agree, 24.00 is a meager budget for a decent rechargeable flashlight. I think you are on the right path suggesting regular battery lights. Just make sure future budgets include a yearly replacement of all batteries. That is what we did with those 6 volts and that worked quite well. Also, make sure that the flashlight's batteries don't get robbed for something else. Which is a common problem in some places.

IF all else fails and your boss insists on rechargeable flashlights for 24 USD, then there are those lights with built in AC plugs that plug directly into an outlet.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Quite a few years ago I was tasked with something similar at a place I did volunteer work for. I didn't get to choose the flashlight, my job was to come up with a wall mounting for the chosen lights. The chosen flashlights were those square 6 volt lanterns with a built in handle. This turned out to be a pretty good choice for several reasons. They were easy and inexpenive to buy. They were bright and the square design prevented them from rolling away. They were easy to use and easy to replace batteries. The batteries lasted a long time, both on the shelf and in use. Lastly, those 6 volt batteries pretty much only have one use, so the spares were not as likely to walk away as did AA or D cells. I came up with a four sided box with a slot cutout for the handle that worked so well, that they are still in use today...almost 15 years later :)

I agree, 24.00 is a meager budget for a decent rechargeable flashlight. I think you are on the right path suggesting regular battery lights. Just make sure future budgets include a yearly replacement of all batteries. That is what we did with those 6 volts and that worked quite well. Also, make sure that the flashlight's batteries don't get robbed for something else. Which is a common problem in some places.

IF all else fails and your boss insists on rechargeable flashlights for 24 USD, then there are those lights with built in AC plugs that plug directly into an outlet.

this ^^^ big ugly lights with big ugly batteries will not walk away every semester and disappear