Help Needed...Flashlight Not Working :-(

lce

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I have a Illumina TI Titanium Innovations flashlight that takes a single AAA battery.
To turn it on or off you twist the head and each time you do this you cycle through Hi,Lo and medium brightness.

Recently when I go to turn it on it briefly lights up then immediately goes off. Then if I try to turn it back on it won't light up and I have to wait a few seconds and then it will repeat the symptoms.

Sometimes when I can get the light to stay on it will flicker like a candle and go out and if I tap it sometime it will come back on.

I have tried replacing the battery but that hasn't helped any.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

This light is my go to light everyday all day. It's a great light.

Thank you

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not familiar with that light, but:
- unscrew the head and tail cap. or whichever end unscrews.
- soak a cotton swab in DEOXIT, or WD40 if no DEOXIT, and wipe the outside contact ring inside the head. then wipe the center contact inside the head.
- soak the other end of the cotton swab in DEOXIT and wipe around the rim(s) of the body.
- assuming that a spring exists in the tail cap, squirt some DEOXIT or WD40 into the base of the spring. wipe the spring itself where it contacts the cell.

=> Rotating heads need some maintenance where they contact the body.
=> The base of the battery spring often becomes oxidized/corroded and needs some contact help.

If you have a chance, acquire some DeoxIT D5. available on a number of websites.
DeoxIT has saved more than a few Apple and USB contacts as well as various internal contacts in flashlights.

lce

Newly Enlightened
Hi moldyoldy,
Here are a couple pictures of the light...sorry about the quality I can't get my phone to take very good pictures most of the time.

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/9296/CuGBY0.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img923/2500/SEMUeb.jpg

http://imageshack.com/a/img924/8485/yJke4e.jpg

The head is the only part that moves to turn it on and off , change the output and to change the battery. Inside of the body is a fixed spring.

The light is a
Titanium Innovations
Illuminati
CA1-AL LED
Flashlight
with 132
Lumen Cree
XP-G Gen2 LED
with Aluminum
Body - Uses 1
x AAA

I have cleaned the contact points before with rubbing alcohol as that was all I had available at the time but it didn't seem to help at all.

I'll look for some DeoxIT and try it.

I live in a very small area with no electronic stores available do you think someplace like Ace Hardware would carry it?

I love this light I really want to get it working again. I use it literally everyday, it goes everywhere with me lol

Thank you for your time and help I really appreciate it

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
You dont need deoxit. If it wont turn on after cleaning the contacts with alcohol, it wont start working with deoxit. deoxit is great, but not magic :) Clean it one more time, and remember to clean the end of the battery tube also, the bare alu part that is supposed to come in contact with the driver. I can see the center where the + nipple on the battery hits, looks worn down, that might be a issue.

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Use some WD40 on the base of the spring in the body where it contacts the aluminium. then attempt to rotate or at least somehow move the spring inside the tube.
I have had problems with those springs losing contact before.

lce

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the help guys,
I cleaned all contact points and even was able to remove the spring to clean it and made sure it has good contact with the body when I replaced it.

Still the same :-(
I hate to throw it away I really love this light but I don't know what else it could possibly be?

moldyoldy

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm, I had very erratic problems (on/off/output) with a Zebralight SC52 (1xAA) when the cell was too long for the tube and the cell was exerting excessive pressure on the head. In my case, a Keeppower cell (w/protection IC) was simply too long for the SC52. maybe a length comparison between different AAA cells might help - if excessive pressure on the head is the case. Otherwise, no further ideas.