Murphy's law...

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Have you heard of Murphys Law? I have....
I ordered a new led drop in for my SF light. Got it yesterday, I got two since they forgot to send me one tha last time I ordered. One was for my friend and one for me... atleast I thought so. When I got home yesterday I was very tired, but I had to try the leds out. I put one in my 9P and one in my deerelight... turn the 9P on, it works! Turned the deerelight on....nothing, click click click... nothing... Hmm....*sigh* i now have to email and maybe return the faulty unit, to get a new one....

I tried the led drop that I had put in the deerelight and put it in the 9P, nothing... Hmm.... NOOO! I did smell something funky just before... I now realize that in the deerelight the battery got the polaritys in the other direction.... D*MN IT!
theese things really do breake to easily! Fortunately they didnt cost that much but still!

Note to myself; DO NOT DO ANYTHING THAT CAN GET DAMAGED; OR DAMAGE YOURSELVES WHEN YOUR TIRED.

jtr1962

Flashaholic
No reverse protection diode? Every single thing I make or design which could accidentally be hooked up wrong has one. I can't say how many times I've put in batteries sdrawkcab.

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dang that sucks! Everyones heard of GIGO - garbage in, garbage out. But the flip side to that one is that you can put perfume in and still get garbage out.

:buddies:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
That must be Murpheys law #476 everything that can be made wrong, will go wrong when used wrong.

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Murphy's Law taken to the extreme would say that if you went to the extra effort and cost of making/buying a unit with reverse polarity protection, you'd end up never needing it.

Don't beat yourself up about frying stuff... there's always someone, somewhere, who has fried something bigger, more expensive, more hazardous, and for a dumber reason. (That someone is usually me. :eek: )

FlashSpyJ

Enlightened
Yup, it didnt cost me much, but still. You might think there would be a reverse polarity protection. I thought that a simple diod would prevent to fry the led. I wouldnt design a led or a flashlight that didnt have a protection.
Soon I cant remember how many times I have told my friend (he bought a Lumapower M1 from me and a SF G2) which end of the battery goes in which direction on the led light... Shouldnt people that arent interested in light as much as we are, be able to safely use a led light? Most people I know dont read the manual at all, they just snort at it and throw it away. I have been called a geek several times just for bringing up that reading the manual may be a good thing to do!

Even if you do read the manual, dosent mean that Murphy isnt around the corner lurking! :)

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I blew up an expen$ive Metrologic ML-868 laser in early-June of this year after I accidentally allowed the high voltage side of another HeNe power supply to arc against its case. Normally, the ground pin would have protected the laser, but somebody had unnowingly snipped it off before I had purchased the laser, so I had to send it back for fairly extensive repairs.