"Feit Electric" 3C LED flashlight

Flashlike

Enlightened
When I was at our local Costco store today they had a rack with some "Feit Electric" brand LED flashlights in a 2-pack for $24.99 after $5.00 "instant rebate".
If I recall correctly the information on the package said that the flashlights had two brightness levels plus a strobe and SOS mode. It also stated
that the beam was "zoomable" from spot to flood. The package included six C size batteries, so I'm assuming each flashlight would
require three C batteries. It said that the emitter was a Cree LED, but didn't specify which emitter was used. Brightness levels were
advertised as 500 lumens (high) and 295 lumens (low). The Feit Electric product number was 654427, but it's not coming up on a
Google search.

Has anyone purchased one of these and if so what are your impressions? Sometimes some of these less expensive flashlights aren't
too bad considering the price point.

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "Feit Electric" 2C LED flashlight

Take a look on the budget section,they have Costco lights on a post at the moment,not yours but looks a deal to me if they do them in the UK I will have a pack.

DaveG

Enlightened

I looked at them today at my Costco,for $12.50 each, might be worth a shot.

Newuser01

Enlightened

There is a bit of write up @ Slickdeals and some pictures there too. Seems like a better deal than the one from HD/Defient one? It may be direct driven like those 3 AAA lights but has modes: 500 lumen beam (7 hour run time), 295 lumen (10 hour run time), strobe, sos, off.

jyflash

Newly Enlightened
Got this 2 pack today at Costco. Very impressive wide and concentrated beam and it appears that the 500 lumen rating is accurate. I informally checked it again my Surefire Fury. The problem that I noticed is that when you move the "zoom" too fast the light will change modes (e.g., high to low to stobe). I'm almost certain that this is not intended. I plan to return this pair and get another to see if this problem is only with this light or is, perhaps, a design flaw.

UMDTERPS

Newly Enlightened
IMG_20130129_094739.jpg

Canuke

Enlightened
Was in Costco with the wife today, was able to snap a pic of the business end. That lens is not like any I've seen before. It looks to me as if a good percentage of light is lost inside this setup.

y3ebaza9.jpg

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem that I noticed is that when you move the "zoom" too fast the light will change modes (e.g., high to low to stobe). I'm almost certain that this is not intended. I plan to return this pair and get another to see if this problem is only with this light or is, perhaps, a design flaw.
Mine don't do that, are you sure the tail cap is on tight?

Flashlike

Enlightened
I wonder how this flashlight would perform on a single 18650 rechargeable lithium-ion cell?
(i.e. using some form of spacer tube for proper fit and custom size dummy cell for connection).
Just a thought... :thinking:

kotarak

Newly Enlightened
I got the Feit 2 pack too. It has a TIR lens similar to tbe Coast. HP550 they had a few weeks ago.
The Led is a genuine Cree XM-L. At 12 bucks a light (including 3 Duracell Cs) I think is a good deal.
Things i don't like is that when adjusted to spot, projects the led chip. Also the zoom head is way too loose and focus will move if are not very careful. The lens is plastic.
other than that... 500 lumen aluminum.light for $12 considering also the price of the included 3xC cell.. should not be complaining

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

Canuke

Enlightened
Allrighty, I picked up a set of these. All numbers are by eye, I have no instrumentation to measure output.

The first thing I noticed was that the optic looks like the Coast frog-eye, but oddly installed "backwards", flat side facing the emitter. Not until I tried flipping it around did I realize the truth: it's not an aspheric, it's a Fresnel optic with just two "steps".

Of my two units, one came in on the pinkish side, and the other came in on the pink side of the first one. Compared to my Coast HP550, definitely pink.

Pics.

3y9a8uba.jpg

7usaqebe.jpg

The retaining ring comes off easily. There's a translucent silicone gasket that needs a bit of careful coaxing to fall out, and the optic comes with it.

u5eqybyz.jpg

Optic in its original orientation.

y9ere8uq.jpg

Pill in maximum zoom position. As predicted, a chunk of light around the edges is lost in those black sides, and this reduction is visible in bounce tests, I'd say 35-45% reduction.

a6u7u3uv.jpg

At the wide end. That yellow stuff looks like it could be a remote phosphor or something, yes? Nope. Checked it with a blue light, only the emitter glowed.

Compared to the HP550, this light is about 70% as bright in wide mode. Zoomed in, it's no contest as this light loses output when zoomed in while the Coast actually gains it due to its design. The Coast hotspot also remains round, and by my eye would match or exceed the Feit for throw cd. That yellow ring also is dimly visible around the emitter square when zoomed in on a white wall.

Heat sinking is good, the warmth gets to the outside world quick.

Swapping in Eneloops (all at 1.28V) in one unit had no apparent effect on brightness versus the included Duracell C's in the other.

ParadiseRob

Newly Enlightened
I wonder how this flashlight would perform on a single 18650 rechargeable lithium-ion cell?
(i.e. using some form of spacer tube for proper fit and custom size dummy cell for connection).
Just a thought... :thinking:

Looks like two 18650's would fit in nicely, is there a easy way to tell if the driver can handle the increased voltage if they're run in series? I have about two dozen 18650 rechargeable lithium-ion cells from laptop batteries that I would like to be able to use. I know they're unprotected but I would match them, could this be done safely or is a single battery the way to go?

Newuser01

Enlightened
Looks like two 18650's would fit in nicely, is there a easy way to tell if the driver can handle the increased voltage if they're run in series? I have about two dozen 18650 rechargeable lithium-ion cells from laptop batteries that I would like to be able to use. I know they're unprotected but I would match them, could this be done safely or is a single battery the way to go?
18650 fresh off the charger is 4.2v x 2 = 8.2v sure thing it will go :poof:
3 C cells are 4.5v So just one 18650.
I would suggest you buy a light that uses one cells- It will be better all around.
Or run c sized AA holders with Eneloops cells would be better.

ParadiseRob

Newly Enlightened
Ok, one 18650 runs the light fine, I also tried two and it fried in an instant. Then I signed on and read Newuser01's warning oops!

ParadiseRob

Newly Enlightened
For the tube spacer on mine I just cut the side wall plastic on a powdered drink jug rolled it up and slid it in then for the dummy cell I used a 5/8th s wood dowel drilled down the center, copper wire pushed through and a drop of solder on each end. It works good.

Newuser01

Enlightened
For the tube spacer on mine I just cut the side wall plastic on a powdered drink jug rolled it up and slid it in then for the dummy cell I used a 5/8th s wood dowel drilled down the center, copper wire pushed through and a drop of solder on each end. It works good.
That would do.... Nice. Sorry to hear about the burn light though!! :candle:
I would consider this a bed side light or a club to take with you when you hear things go bump in the night?

Cheers.

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got two of these and for the price, they are great! The finish on them is good and the focus actually works well. I am using them with 3 AA rechargeables with an adapter made from a piece of PVC pipe. The only thing odd thing about them is the spacing between low and high mode. There is not that much of a difference. A 50 lumen low would have made more sense. Anyhow, for $12.50 a piece with batteries, one cannot complain too much!