FEELER: Custom tailcap boots (multiple colors)

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hey all,

This is a little on the crazy side, but would you guys be interested in custom tailcap boots? I've been talking to some injection molding companies and wanted to know what you guys think. I started looking into this because I can no longer get the GITD boots...then I started thinking people might also be into other colors.

Any color is an option so let me know what sounds interesting.

They are the same dimensions as the common DX boots so they should fit a wide variety of applications. They can be molded with the internal nub so you can trim it for a variety of applications or they can be molded with no nub to fit the McClicky without modification.

I hope to use these in my own lights, but will obviously need to sell a lot of them to pay for the mold and production run. Is this something you could use in your projects? Maybe just switch out an existing boot to a new color option? Any and all thoughts/suggestions welcome!

They won't be dirt cheap like the DX boots but they should be reasonable and I'll offer volume discounts. Without having a good understanding of the numbers yet...hopefully around $1-2 each. I'm going to have to have at least 1000 made...so I can't do this unless you guys would be interested in buying some :)

COLORS-web.jpg

Yellow, GITD green, blue, black

COLORS-2-web.jpg

Olive Drab, Sand, Red, Grey

Last edited:

DrSwiger

Newly Enlightened
I would definitely buy them, probably 20-30.

Last edited:

archer6817j

Enlightened
Awesome :) So this reminds me, it would also help if you could say (roughly) how many you might like...one, five, twenty, whatever...just to give me a rough idea if people will want more than one or two. No commitment on your part, just doing some research.

I'm also open to working out deals if anyone wants to buy quantity and/or retail them on their site, or use for their own custom lights. Better PM me if you are interested since this is a research thread and not a sales thread. Thanks!

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something else to consider is a firmer switch boot for McClicky users. I will be in for some if this option is offered.

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm in for 3 - 5 of red, OD and grey.

How about orange?

archer6817j

Enlightened
How about orange?

Good question. I was considering staying away from black and orange since you can get them from DX for something like $1.00 for 10 pcs. Would people prefer this (cool and exclusive!) design over the DX ones for black and orange?

I'm still waiting to hear back from the molding company about their "stock" colors. If I want anything crazy I will have to have a batch of material specially made. No idea what the cost will be for custom colors, but it's based on a minimum volume of material and will be accordingly expensive.

Keep the input coming and don't forget to check in. In the next couple weeks I'll narrow down the color choices and start a poll or something like that. Most popular 4-6 colors can be made. Please keep in mind, doing a run of 1000 pcs will cost me north of $5k because of the tooling costs...also keep in mind, if you don't speak up this won't happen so tell some friends! :)

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you know what the inside depth is or if it is at least as deep as Don's McClicky boots?