7D Cell Maglite???

FlashlightMuseum

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone rememeber when Mag used to put out a 7D Cell Maglite? I think it was available in the mid-90's. I wonder if they're available anywhere these days. Any help would be appreciated...

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. There WAS a seven D cell Maglite. I bought one around the mid to late '70's in the L.A. area when I used to live there. They may have been a special run for LEO's because I bought mine from a small gun shop that was frequented heavily by LEO's but I'm not sure. It had no special markings except for the Maglite markings on the head. It came in a cardboard box also marked Maglite. The shop had both seven D and C cell models. I had it for about 10 years and gave it away. I went back to the shop to get another one but they were out of business.

Wow that looks just like a Kell-light to me too. I sold Mag products at gun shows in 1985. I had 7 cell, C-cells and 6 Cell D cells. The lights came in cardboard boxes. I used to sell the Mini-Mags at $14.00 each (no batterys) and people were thankful. Mag was a lot smaller then. You could actually call and talk to Tony. I would not be surprised if he made a few unofficial runs of 7 cell D-cells.

turbodog

Flashaholic
when i bought my first mag (2d) in about 1986, i distinctly remember an order form inside the package for bulbs, other lights, 7 cell D's, etc. i am sure of this because i kept the package and all materials in it. i used to dream of one day being able to afford a 7 cell flashlight, and the batteries to go in it. i even checked with mag in later years to see if they had any back stock... they acknowledged they used to make 1, but had none left. important thing to note, this is the current-day version, not the thing in the picture above.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
holtz58 said:
Here is a seven C cell I got in the mid 70's

http://users.erols.com/holtz58/7ccelmag.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

A slide switch on the barrel, that funky ribbed tailcap, and a lip between the head and body?!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Doesn't look very "Maglite-ish" to me.
Doesn't look like a Kel-Lite either... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
But if Holtz58 says it's a Mag, then it's probably a Mag. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting picture Holtz. That looks like some sort of "*******ized" light. That is definitely a Kel head and Kel switch and looks to have a mag body. My 7 D cell mag from the '70's looked no different from the mags of today, (except for it's length), including the rubber push/click switch.

phyhsuts

Enlightened
Not only were there 7D cell Maglites back in the 60s/70s, there were a line of large head Maglites too! Being 10 years old, I could only drool. By the time I have my own incme, they were long gone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've seen that tailcap before, but can't remember here.

That tailcap shape was made for a kubiton (sp?) to prevent an attacker from getting a grip on the end. The middle ring was pointy and cut into the hand if gripped tightly.

GregR

Threepio

Newly Enlightened
My friend Vance bought his 7D Maglite at the same time I bought my 6D, I think this was in '78 or so. I didn't buy the 7 cell version because, if you looked at the lamp specs, the candlepower went up for each cell added until 6 cells, then went down for the 7 cell. The 7 cell was- on paper- only as bright as the 5 cell. He lost his after about 10 years when the Duracell batteries leaked and ate through the barrel... Bob

lithium

Newly Enlightened
The first 'official' Mag-lite(tm) (latter labeled with a (c)and then an (r))was made in 1979. A number of lights were made before this starting in the early 1970's. These lights were not standardized retail products and had various labels that did or did not include Mag-lite, Mag Instrument, Los Angeles and others. There is debate as to what inscription was used first on true production models. What is known is that by around late 1981, the company moved to Ontario, Ca and began to use this location in the label (in place of L. A. or no location). Non 'Ontario' lights are rather rare. Perhaps this info will help with the time frame.

As for sizes, Mag did make both C and D in seven cell. I don't recall the exact date, but by about the mid 1980's the 7D was dropped. The 7C went on into the early 1990's. By special order, up to a 10D and 12C could be had until around 1984. There are rumors of 14C, but I have never seen one (good throw, but outstanding swing!!!). These special order lights came with an adapter (a big 'dummy cell' made of an aluminum rod and two 'washers') to run on four, five or six cells as requested. As Threepio pointed out, the seven cell argon bulbs were about as bright as the five and not desired. (The after market krypton bulbs were brighter but cost a whopping $10 in the early 1980's.)

Today, the six cell is the largest made and, unfortunately, the company has firmly implanted an (*) into M*g /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

As for head sizes, the 'large' head was the extra-large size and rather rare. The large is the standard (and only) size of today. The small head is the rarest worldwide, while the extra-large is rarest in the USA. Btw, I will pay top $ for a good condition small head (flashlight, that is).

I am not an expert on the history of Mag-lite, but feel free to ask questions. I hope this helps.

horse_crossing

Newly Enlightened
Just happened along this forum, and wanted to let you guys know that I have a 7 D cell Maglite that I bought in the late 70s.. Seems to be one of a kind these days..... HC

Last edited:

willrx

Enlightened
There are a few folks here that have them. Scroll down to older pages and you'll find pics.:D

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are a few folks here that have them. Scroll down to older pages and you'll find pics.:D

Namely, Will and probably Abtomat. I've got a beautiful brand new 7c, though, thanks to Will and Kiesling. Will gave the link and Kiesling did the translanting (it came from a shop in Switzerland!) I think, originally, the link was provided by Morelite, so, thanks to him, too! I doubt I'll ever get a 7D, unless, it's a brand spankin' new one, like the 7c.

Last edited:

Phaetos

Enlightened

Actually alot of those links don't work anymore. I've tried. Then realized this thread is 4 years old. Geez, talk about dead awakenings.

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not get a 7 C maglite - the largest one I have is 4 D - my collection consists of the mini-mags - 2 AAA, 2 AA and solitaire.