A bad couple of days for my lights

mapper66

Newly Enlightened
Well, it's been a bad few days for my flashlights. First, I was messing around with my Defender Infinity in the hardware store trying to find an o-ring that would fit it better, and dropped the head of the flashlight on the concrete floor. It actually landed just right to where it bent the thin aluminum below the threads enough to mess up the twistie action.

If that wasn't enough, grabbed my Spear as a backup the next day, twisted a time or two to go into low, and the spring soldered to the cree module came un-soldered! So now I have 2 lights down for the count.

I like the DI so much I will probably go through the process of getting it fixed. The Spear, I may just put in the market place for one of you guys with a soldering iron.

I've looked at my entire flashlight collection with an eye toward evaluating for ruggedness, even did a few drop tests and the like. I think I know what my next purchase is going to be. :whistle:

Draven451

Enlightened
Thats unfortunate to hear about your lights. I know it gets said alot that once you get that first scratch now you don't have to worry anymore - it still sucks! :mecry:

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I suspect you could abuse the NDI pretty heavily assembled. However from your description, I take it you dropped the head unscrewed from the body.

Your "next purchase" wouldn't handle such a thing all that great either I suspect. What happened is no fault of EdgeTac.

mapper66

Newly Enlightened
I suspect you could abuse the NDI pretty heavily assembled. However from your description, I take it you dropped the head unscrewed from the body.

Your "next purchase" wouldn't handle such a thing all that great either I suspect. What happened is no fault of EdgeTac.

Yes, that's right, I dropped it when it was unscrewed from the body, and I didn't imply that it was the fault of EdgeTac. It is inherent to the design.

And yes, my next purchase would and will handle such a drop. I know this because I have already tested it multiple times. It is inherent to the design.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Raidfire's spring came off as well, I just soldered it back on, we'll see if it happens again. :)

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Im not sure that any light will take abuse when not assembled properly... except maybe the Fenix-T1, but thats almost overkill anyway, with 4.5mm of alu isnt easy to bend..

Crenshaw

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be bummed if I screwed up my NDI as well. I ran this light down the river when I got it for all the problems I've had with it. Right now it is my favorite carry light, go figure. It is the same length as my E1B I just received but smaller in diameter. Perfect for throwing in a pants pocket. I hope you didn't damage it too bad.

Bill

mapper66

Newly Enlightened
Thanks, I love my NDI as well, carried it everyday. It still functions, just doesn't have that really smooth twist action I was able to get with the right o-ring. I expect it to remain my EDC for a good while, so I want it to be right. I like it so much I'd buy another if Nitecore wasn't able to fix it.

I would be bummed if I screwed up my NDI as well. I ran this light down the river when I got it for all the problems I've had with it. Right now it is my favorite carry light, go figure. It is the same length as my E1B I just received but smaller in diameter. Perfect for throwing in a pants pocket. I hope you didn't damage it too bad.

Bill

mapper66

Newly Enlightened
Well, got my answer on fixing the NDI. I bought it through a forum member at the market place, so a warranty fix is not possible. Not that I expected a warranty fix as I'm the one who dropped it when it was disassembled. An offer to look at it or maybe just sell me the head might have been nice....
Guess it's tough when it has to go all the way back to China, then back here. I was offered a 20% discount on a new light when available.