Mag changed their incan bulb!

bstrickler

Enlightened

fishndad

Enlightened
thats great 72 lumen? Hey ther making progress.I love Mag, grew up swinging grandpas around the garage(he replaced alot of bulbs)
think ill get a blue one.

Quest4fire

Enlightened
Yet another collaboration between engineering and marketing to control more of residual sales. If you sell a flashlight and most people only buy a couple of them a life time, and the only thing that really wears out/ gets replaced is the bulb... Make more expensive, highly specialized bulbs of which you are the only supplier. Pretty slick, huh?

Illum

Flashaholic
Make more expensive, highly specialized bulbs of which you are the only supplier. Pretty slick, huh?

ehh... 4D lamp, so 6V... I have a hunch Marantz lamp part # IN1006301 6.3V 40MA Bi-Pin will fit
2rm4kli.jpg

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nominal voltage of 4 cell alkaline bulbs are 4.8 volt.
That bulb is G2.5 bi-pin.
In order to use G4 bulbs, pin holes must be enlarged.
Closest bright 4.8 volt G4 bi-pin bulb under 10 watts is WA1319 which is 1.9 Amp.
Any higher wattage bulb such as FM axial 4 volt, 3.3 Amps will melt the plastic socket, reflector and/or lens.
Any bulb with higher than 1 Amps needs to use with rechargeable batteries.

Last edited:

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Posts# 1,6,7, & 10 are indicative of why I love this forum. Fast-breaking news/cogent marketing analysis/solid tech info/solid tech info. Thank you all. Yet another reason to keep an eye out for beater M*glites at yard sales. And a few years ago, who would have thought that they would eventually become more 'collectible' (before new switch set-screws, and bulb holders)?

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
I picked up a 3 or a 4 d at walmart a week or so ago with the bi pin. I must admit even though for my personal taste it was about 3 years too late, I was still glad to see them moving forward. As mentioned before the socket is plastic though so be careful with upgrades :)

Quest4fire

Enlightened
ehh... 4D lamp, so 6V... I have a hunch Marantz lamp part # IN1006301 6.3V 40MA Bi-Pin will fit

Nice one Illum! However, I doubt the vast majority of M@glite purchasers (Ma@lite has let us know how they feel about our crowd with their "Improvements" that make their lights more difficult to mod, huh) will be looking for other companies to source replacements for these new bulbs from, or even be aware of their existence. Shoot, I've been lurking around here since '06 and have never seen them.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
how does new bulb perform compared to old pr bulb? is the beam more focused\uniform??

Illum

Flashaholic
how does new bulb perform compared to old pr bulb? is the beam more focused\uniform??

Given the dramatic in reduction in filament length its going to be much easier to collimate into a dot... but as seen on minimags I think flood mode is still going to look very crappy :)

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you have a picture of what the hole the holder goes into looks like? Could you just put a regular PR bulb in there in place of the holder?

Burgess

Flashaholic
Hmmm . . . .

Not sure if this development is a Good thing, or a Bad thing.

(for me, at least)

You see, i still have a significant stockpile of PR-base Bulbs.

:thinking:
_

kramer5150

Flashaholic
too much plastic in there to get me excited. If its some kind of HIGH melting temp material then, Hmm OK... could make for a nice affordable 1185 build.

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
Yet another collaboration between engineering and marketing to control more of residual sales. If you sell a flashlight and most people only buy a couple of them a life time, and the only thing that really wears out/ gets replaced is the bulb... Make more expensive, highly specialized bulbs of which you are the only supplier. Pretty slick, huh?
Yes, the american way...

It doesn't make a lot of sense for Maglite to switch to Bi-pin. I mean, they are switching to LED so why would they bother with Bi-pin? LED will be where they go in the future, (wether they like it or not), My local Lowes is switching to all LED Maglites and so is my local Wal-Mart. Once chains like this switch to LED, Maglite will have to give up the incan end of it. It just does not seem to make any sense why they would switch? I mean, I don't care as long as incan 2D maglites don't go up in price, as I only buy them to mod them. I will miss the incans when they are gone, cause they are the cheapest mod out there, but bi-pin? Huh...

Illum

Flashaholic
If its some kind of HIGH melting temp material then, Hmm OK... could make for a nice affordable 1185 build.

Not likely, there would be no way D cell batteries can create any amount of heat where a conventional miniature bi-pin would warrant the need for a high temp ceramic socket... and especially not from Maglite.:)