how do i tell if i got protected or unprotected?

blackbag223

Newly Enlightened
how do i tell if i got protected or unprotected cells? they are 18650s from AW.

also, which way is positive? just put them into the charger (DSD) and go? is it possible to over charge?

if these are infact UNpotected, just stop using them as soon as they dim right?

AW

Newly Enlightened
blackbag223,

The four 18650s you bought are unprotected. The side with vent holes are +ve.
The DSD charger will stop charging when the batteries are fully charged ( indicate by a green LED ). Yes, remove the cells as soon as they go dim.

AW

greenLED

Flashaholic
blackbag223 said:
how do i tell if i got protected or unprotected cells? they are 18650s from AW.

also, which way is positive? just put them into the charger (DSD) and go? is it possible to over charge?

if these are infact UNpotected, just stop using them as soon as they dim right?

Blackbag, may I suggest you read thorough this thread on li-ion safety before going any further? Unprotected li-ions are not for the casual user. Seeing that you can't tell the positve end worries me. I'd like you to continue enjoying the hobby in a safe manner. :)

Last edited:

LEDcandle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe most (or all?) protected batts have a strip of metal running lengthwise the body of the battery (under the wrapper), which is part of the protection system.

This also makes protected batts slightly thicker than unprot ones, and might have fitment issues with some flashlights.

Be careful with those lithiums!

wquiles

Flashaholic
LEDcandle said:
I believe most (or all?) protected batts have a strip of metal running lengthwise the body of the battery (under the wrapper), which is part of the protection system.

This also makes protected batts slightly thicker than unprot ones, and might have fitment issues with some flashlights.

Be careful with those lithiums!
Well said. The key is to really be careful while using them. The energy density is pretty high in these cells :aaa:

Will