"better" then visionplus in H13?

madrabbitt

Newly Enlightened
Company has a 2005 F-150, and i've been driving it at night for the last few nights.
It has some amazing aux lights, but I cant use the long range ones around the city, or on the semi-urban highway, and the HID aux lights are too short range for highway speeds.

The headlights arent as bright as i'd like. They're clean and properly aimed, and quality lights (they're the hella 'black' replacement ones)
Right now, I have phillips visionplus bulbs in there, and they're about a year old, so its probably a good time to order replacements.

So, what is the 'best' (yes, i know that its subjective) H13 bulb?

I have no objection to over wattage bulbs, this truck already has a harness that i made for it.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
the HID aux lights are too short range for highway speeds.

Odd. What short-range HID lights are these?

I have phillips visionplus bulbs in there, and they're about a year old, so its probably a good time to order replacements. So, what is the 'best' (yes, i know that its subjective) H13 bulb?

It is not subjective. The best H13 bulbs are the relatively new Philips Xtreme Power items.

I have no objection to over wattage bulbs

You should, regardless of what you think the wiring can handle. See here (PDF).

Make sure the lamps are aimed correctly, too.

Qship1996

Enlightened
I have seen plenty of "over-wattage" H4 bulbs being recommended, specifically the Osram 70/65 watt along with possibly upgraded wiring/relays to go with this- both by you and For sale at Candlepower.....kind of funny to read the above post saying not to do so now? Why the change of thought on this?

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Explanation is simple: you're not working with H4 headlamps. The H4 system has a much greater degree of inherent glare control on low beam than H13 does. And the electrical terminals on an H4 bulb and its socket are much larger and better able to handle elevated current levels; the H13 electrical terminals are barely enough to carry the current of stock wattage filaments. And the H4 is an all-metal design; H13 has a plastic base that will outgas and deform with elevated heat, even if it's a base properly made by a reputable bulb company -- those back alley crap shops in China use whatever black plastic they happen to get a good deal on. And there are well-made H4 overwattage bulbs with accurate, precise filament placement and orientation, while there aren't any such H13 overwattage bulbs, only junk.

Shall I go on, or do you get the idea now?

madrabbitt

Newly Enlightened
Odd. What short-range HID lights are these?

It is not subjective. The best H13 bulbs are the relatively new Philips Xtreme Power items.

You should, regardless of what you think the wiring can handle. See here (PDF).

Make sure the lamps are aimed correctly, too.

This truck is like a Hella catalog threw up.
Hella replacement 'black' headlights.
Hella replacement grille with 4000 compact halogen housings with 100 watt H1 yellowstar bulbs.
Hella LED CELIS taillights + LED third brake light
Hella micro DE xenon fog lights.

The harness is 10 gauge, minimal amount of run battery + to relay, 12 gauge from relay to lights. (or ballasts for the HID)
40 amp sealed bosch relays for high beam and 100 watt, 30 amp sealed bosch relay for low beams and HID.

And yes, last time i checked, they were aimed as per the beamsetter thingy at the upfitter.

And a pair of phillips xtreme power headlights shall be ordered on monday.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
This truck is like a Hella catalog threw up.

crackup.gif

Hella micro DE xenon fog lights.

H'mm, are ya sure these are legit and have the correct bulbs (not an "HID kit")? There's a Micro DE fog lamp (halogen) and there is a Micro DE Xenon driving (auxiliary high beam) lamp, but no Micro DE Xenon fog I'm aware of.

40 amp sealed bosch relays for high beam and 100 watt, 30 amp sealed bosch relay for low beams

What gauge wire out to the lamps themselves?

madrabbitt

Newly Enlightened
crackup.gif

H'mm, are ya sure these are legit and have the correct bulbs (not an "HID kit")? There's a Micro DE fog lamp (halogen) and there is a Micro DE Xenon driving (auxiliary high beam) lamp, but no Micro DE Xenon fog I'm aware of.

What gauge wire out to the lamps themselves?

They're OEM hella ballasts with hella stamped bulbs. The lenses are clear and non-fluted.

But, they seem to put out a wide beam, no more then 500-600 feet in front of the vehicle... as opposed to the 4000's which throw light at least twice that.

12 gauge wire from the 87 terminal to the lights, minimal amount of wire run. 12 gauge ground to the chassis within 9 inches of the lights.

madrabbitt

Newly Enlightened
We bought this truck from the aformentioned upfitter, took off all the "sponsor" type stickers, and re-lettered it with our company graphics.
As you may have guessed, they're a Hella distributor.

Thank God they dont sell PIAA.

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
They're OEM hella ballasts with hella stamped bulbs. The lenses are clear and non-fluted.

Those aren't fog lamps, they're driving lamps. Auxiliary high beams. Never safe or legal in traffic, or by themselves, or with low beams.

But, they seem to put out a wide beam, no more then 500-600 feet in front of the vehicle... as opposed to the 4000's which throw light at least twice that.

The 4000s are much bigger, more efficient lights than the Micro DE drivers.

12 gauge wire from the 87 terminal to the lights, minimal amount of wire run. 12 gauge ground to the chassis within 9 inches of the lights.

Sounds good...but the wire-up of those Micro DE Xenon driving lamps needs to be fixed so they can only be lit with the high beams.

madrabbitt

Newly Enlightened
Bulbs should be at our El Paso office tomorrow, so i'll go and put them in.
The Hellas in the grille are wired to be enabled with high beams only, I dont know where the HID aux lights's relay trigger is tapped, but I'll look at it when i've got the truck open.
I'll also check the aim on them, make sure they're aimed correctly.

Thanks for the suggestion on the lights. I'll have this truck this weekend, and i'm probably going to take it out to the desert to check some telemetry equipment, so i'll get to see how well they work.

madrabbitt

Newly Enlightened
Fleet Services Inc.

And both the grille 4000's and the DE's apparently are wired to the high beam circuit.

And the bulbs have been installed, so lets see how they do tonight.

madrabbitt

Newly Enlightened
1. The bulbs are great, thanks for the recommendation.
2. I re-aimed the DE's so that the beam's midline is at mounting height at 25 feet... they were originally aimed too far down... Much better.