Fifthunit "8W" Mini-Blink LILL: updated runtime & beamplot

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
[Update Feb-13-07: Just received a second LILL from dealextreme.com, and there have been a few changes for those of you considering this light for upgrades/mods. The clickie has a much lower low mode (~1/3 as bright as high mode now), with new sequence of off-high-low-off instead of old off-low-off-high. Also, screw thread diameter has changed, so tailcap no longer fits on Lumapower D-mini. Screw threads are no longer anodized, so you can no longer lock out the light. Disappointing changes to the threads, but throw and overall brightness on high with RCR is unchanged.]

I just received the new 1 RCR123 fifthunit.com "8W" Mini-Blink (aka "LILL" in their swedish lexicon). Just start playing with it, but I'm very pretty impressed so far.

LILL-1.jpg

Quality of construction is good - in fact, it's very similar to the "12W" 18650 VIKA I reviewed here last month. Thickness of the bezel is good, anodizing is smooth, and there are a good number of threads. Once again, there is a spring located on the positive terminal in the PCB head. A bit odd - and you may want to bend down the spring ends to avoid scratching the batteries. Overall, quality is quite good by cheap light standards - I would say it's comparable to an above-average ultrafire.

LILL-3.jpg

Overall length is about 103mm, and head width is 34mm. Knurling is not very agressive. Unit fits very comfortably in the hand, and comes with a quick-release wrist strap attached. The head unscrews to allow removal of the lens & reflector, and access the the lumiled star.

LILL-6.jpg

The tail features a 2-stage reverse clickie that has good tactile feel (sequence is high-off-low-off). In relative comparison to the 12W VIKA, the low mode is a little brighter (in this case, about 2/3 of the high brightness, I'd estimate). Note that unlike the VIKA, the switch is recessed so the unit can tailstand (although the attached wrist-strap introduces a little wobble).

LILL-2.jpg

Popped in a AW protected RCR123 (3.7V Li-ion, 750mAh), and was blown by the brightness and runtime!

According to my home-made light meter, on high, the LILL is only ~10% dimmer than my 18650 VIKA (which itself is close to my 3W-LED 3-D cell Mag). To put that in perspective, the throw on this LILL is in-between my 3W-LED Mag and my Steamlight ProPoly Lux, although somewhat close to the SL. Although I don't have a lux-calibrated light meter, my numbers correlate very well to quickbeam's flashlightreviews.com - I would guestimate low 60s for throw for this light. Note that this is quite consistent with FU's reported lux reading of 66.5 (I find FU's numbers typically slightly inflated, but this one seems about right).

LILL-4.gif

(Note: runtimes are based on throw, and are plotted as relative to initial output, considered as 100%. Hi mode actually throws ~50% more than low, but I haven't done overall output measures yet)

Pretty impressive at 40 mins (Hi) and 113 mins (Low) to 50% on 1 RCR. Unit gets warm pretty fast - faster than my other lights - so I kept a fan on it during the run tests. Frankly, given the amazing amount of light this thing puts out on Hi, I imagine it must be over-driving the LED pretty heavily.

Here the beam plots, on Hi, of the LILL vs. SL ProPoly, followed by LILL and VIKA.
LILL-4.jpg

LILL-5.jpg

You can't see the coronas too well, but the LILL has a slightly broader, less defined one around the centre beam, compared to the other two lights. Overall similar in shape to the ProPoly (i.e. both have a few faint corona rings, overall spill width similar), the LILL has a much brighter spillbeam. I'll do detailed profiles and report back later.

The light will run on primary CR123s, but with diminished output - the light is about half as bright on primaries. Basically, on high, its throw pretty much matches my Fenix P1. Low mode still works, and is again about 2/3 as bright as the high mode.

So there you have it - amazing output on RCR, good runtime, dual mode, and can still take primaries. As with my VIKA, I haven't tried disassembling the head (I'll let someone else be the guinea pig), but so far I consider this (tentatively) to be another success for FU. My only real concern is how long the LED will last, given the insane amounts of light it puts out on Hi. I'll keep you posted on my testing progress.

Anyone else who has received this light - please feel free to post your thoughts and experiences here.

Last edited:

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fifthunit "8W" Mini-Blink LILL: first impressions (with runtime)

:grin2:... Their website says 20 min. to 50% ..... 30 min. total run ?

??????????????????????????????????????

Last edited:

HiltiHome

Enlightened

I ordered one last week... and yes i will be the guinea pig...

I wonder if a AW17500 cell will fit after removing the positive contact spring...

I did this with a Ultrafire WF-603A and got nearly twice the runtime compared to a AW RCR123 cell.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast

I ordered mine last week too. I will be using Powerizer 3.7V batteries RCR-123. Thank you SO MUCH for the runtime plot. It was nice of you to do the review and post pictures. It appears it has a quick release wrist strap.

Have you done a runtime plot for the low power setting yet? :)

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Re: Fifthunit "8W" Mini-Blink LILL: runtime & beamplot

Updated main post with some quick beamshots, about half a meter from the ceiling.

Threads are smooth and in good shape (well-lubed). Note that the head doesn't seem to want to come apart from the battery tube portion - don't think it's meant to - or at least, not by hand. It is a quick-release strap - nice touch.

Runtime difference to FU posted results likely due to the cheap batteries they use/sell - not all 3.7V, 750mAh batteries are the same. These AW protected cells are great. :grin2:

Interesting idea about the 17500 ... could be some potential here!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Fifthunit "8W" Mini-Blink LILL: runtime & beamplot

hmm... this looks like it could be a good xre mod.... also, do you think there is an aluminum reflector that will fit in this light?

-David

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Updated 1st post again with hi/low mode runtime graph: impressive 113 mins to 50% on low.

I think this one is a keeper ... :rock:

Last edited:

x2x3x2

Banned
i love the build quality on these considering their prices, nice n thick thru the head n body. the only part i find lacking are the tail caps, which seem pretty thin.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Selfbuilt for updating the graph with half power mode!

cheapo

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, nice runtime graphs! how bad is the beam quality in your opinion?

-David

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have two curiosities:

(1) What the scale difference is between the high and low (as in, what if both graphs were put on the identical intensity value for the Y-axis)

(2) How this flashlight would perform on a primary 3.0v CR123. Would it give less light but a longer runtime? A CR123 provides about 4.5 W*h (energizer), while a RCR123 provides 2.8 W*h (AW spec).

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
EngrPaul: The runtimes are based on throw, not output, but the low mode throw is about 2/3 as bright as the high mode. Primaries on Hi run at about 1/2 as bright as the RCR in Hi mode. Low mode with a primary is again about 2/3 as bright as the Hi mode on primary.

Cheapo: Beam quality is ok. Like the VIKA, it has issues with not having the smoothest transition through the corona from the center spot to spill beam. Basically, the corona is a little rough in places (i.e. kind of like little tufts that project out randomly). Hard to describe - I'll try to post better pics when I have time. But this only matter when white wall hunting - in actual use, it looks very smooth.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply. I will be able to do some uncalibrated testing myself in the next day or so... :)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
selfbuilt said:
Anyone else who has received this light - please feel free to post your thoughts and experiences here.

I just received mine. I found out by accident that the beam can be focused from flood to spot.:rock:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
EngrPaul said:
I just received mine. I found out by accident that the beam can be focused from flood to spot.:rock:

Thanks EngrPaul - I just updated the main post to show the head assembly. I find it doesn't really turn it into a flood though, more of a slight defocusing of the beam as you unscrew.

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
selfbuilt said:
I find it doesn't really turn it into a flood though, more of a slight defocusing of the beam as you unscrew.

True. Mine was unfocused on receipt, I tightened the beam but left it a little unfocused for better spill. I use the GLIMT for throw.