Searching for a new primary

dandruff

Enlightened
As a self-respecting flashaholic, I am ashamed with myself for using an old UK C8 incandescent as my only dive light for many years.

After reading Blindeye and Doc Ed's excellent review of the TrustFire TR-J1, I am convinced that it would make the perfect backup light. However that still leaves open the question of what would make a good primary. Preferably it would be bigger and badder than the J1.

So the question is: What is the perfect compliment to the J1?

Though only marginally brighter, the Ferei w162 looks decent but I can't find it for sale anywhere. I would like a light that provides more juice than a single 18650, and of course a higher output lights are welcome (3x xml?). I do not have the budget for any Metalsub or Greenforce lights, and am not that keen on a custom light. If only barbolight was still in business...

Any recommendations?

TEEJ

Flashaholic
Have you looked at Xtar?

They make good dive lights, and, the lumen ratings tend to be accurate, compared to say, um, ______Fires.

:D

dandruff

Enlightened
Have you looked at Xtar?

They make good dive lights, and, the lumen ratings tend to be accurate, compared to say, um, ______Fires.

:D

Thanks for the suggestion! But the only Xtar I can find readily available is the D06? Being a single xml and single 18650 light, is for all intents and purposes the same as the TRJ1. Was hoping for something more substantial and their D31 appears to be discontinued.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dandruff! An incandescent in 2012? Really? You SHOULD be ashamed!:rolleyes:

If I wasn't into DIY, I'd probably still be calling the Princeton Tec Shockwave my primary, and I'd be ashamed and envious every time I clipped it onto my BC while someone else was grabbing a Light Cannon.:( I think this season in my circle the Light Cannon is going to turn green with envy, both for DIY and COTS lights. (That's Commercial Off The Shelf, big thing in military lately).

I'm about to add a 1000 lm focusable mini-handheld to my arsenal, to replace the 1080 lm handheld that I built a couple years ago, which didn't turn out quite as well as I hoped (decent output but burn time limited, due to battery pack resistance and old cells).

It's a shame you aren't into DIY or custom, there are SO many things to talk about...

Anyway, if you're looking for a COTS light, maybe look at MagicShine. I haven't had one in hand, but generally reports are that performance is solid, quality is shaky. The MJ-868 might satisfy your needs quite well. If you're willing to roll the dice a bit, it could be a good unit. Claims are for 2200 lm output for 1.7 hours, which seems quite reasonable. It appears to me (uninvested observer) that their quality has been improving over the years.

I'm not endorsing the light, just saying it's one to consider.

D

Last edited:

dandruff

Enlightened
Dandruff! An incandescent in 2012? Really? You SHOULD be ashamed!:rolleyes:

If I wasn't into DIY, I'd probably still be calling the Princeton Tec Shockwave my primary, and I'd be ashamed and envious every time I clipped it onto my BC while someone else was grabbing a Light Cannon.:( I think this season in my circle the Light Cannon is going to turn green with envy, both for DIY and COTS lights. (That's Commercial Off The Shelf, big thing in military lately).

I'm about to add a 1000 lm focusable mini-handheld to my arsenal, to replace the 1080 lm handheld that I built a couple years ago, which didn't turn out quite as well as I hoped (decent output but burn time limited, due to battery pack resistance and old cells).

It's a shame you aren't into DIY or custom, there are SO many things to talk about...

Anyway, if you're looking for a COTS light, maybe look at MagicShine. I haven't had one in hand, but generally reports are that performance is solid, quality is shaky. The MJ-868 might satisfy your needs quite well. If you're willing to roll the dice a bit, it could be a good unit. Claims are for 2200 lm output for 1.7 hours, which seems quite reasonable. It appears to me (uninvested observer) that their quality has been improving over the years.

I'm not endorsing the light, just saying it's one to consider.

D

Woah thanks for the suggestion! The MJ-878 looks awesome! If I end up getting one I'll be sure to report back:)