eneloops only 2000 maH ?

youngster

Newly Enlightened
Why is that?

I prefer eneloops because regular NiMH cells are typically dead in about 3 months. Eneloops seem to last much longer and have low discharge rates. However, it appears they only come in 2000 maH. I would like longer run times for my bike helmet.

warlord

Enlightened
How often are you draining/recharging your bike helmet batteries? If you're doing it every 1-2 weeks eneloops may be wasted in that application. You'd be fine going with a regular NiMH with a high capacity.

If you're leaving them in your helmet for long perods of time not being used then LSD cells would make sense.

Why is that?

I prefer eneloops because regular NiMH cells are typically dead in about 3 months. Eneloops seem to last much longer and have low discharge rates. However, it appears they only come in 2000 maH. I would like longer run times for my bike helmet.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why is that?

Eneloops have a higher operating voltage, so even though they are "only" 2000 mAh batteries, they have similar performance to 2500mAh batteries.

http://www.eneloop.ca/eneloop_en_why.html#higher

Gunner12

Flashaholic
I think it is the things they added to make it hold a charge longer that is making it have less capacity. But that's only a guess.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
that whole 1.2 1.5 volt thing is really misunderstood. A "1.2v" rechargeable often has a higher voltage than a 1.5v alkaline when used in a device that draws more power than a wall clock. Edit: eneloops are also pretty high up on the list for extreme high current drain devices like maglight hotwires. They'll sag less under that sort of load than most other nimhs and alkalines aren't even a contender. The price for that is a 2000 mAH capacity. Squeezing more out of the battery will result in the whole energizer 2500 fiasco where batteries would fail quickly and discharge themselves within a week or less. I've heard the new 2700 batteries are much better in that regard but I'll take an eneloop any day.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Higher than what? NiMh and Eneloop are both 1.2v. Eneloops only seem to be an advantage after the storage time when self discharge of NiMh lowers its capacity to below 2000mah. This article suggests that time is about 30 days of storage.

http://www.stefanv.com/electronics/sanyo_eneloop.html

NiMH cells in general have a higher voltage than 1.2v throughout their discharge, where alkaline is almost always much lower than 1.5v.

And Eneloop's maintain a particularly higher voltage due to their lower internal resistance, making them exceptional for high drain devices. They have also proven to be quite robust, more so than most other brands.

drmaxx

Enlightened
Eneloops have a higher operating voltage, so even though they are "only" 2000 mAh batteries, they have similar performance to 2500mAh batteries.

This statement might stem from a very enthusiastic sales departement. For data check out this CPF threat:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/79302
Look at the 'Watthours', which corresponds to the actual amount of energy (= Joule = work) that you can get out of a battery. There the eneloops do compare very well with other similar rated NiMH.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
The beauty of Eneloops is where need to longer storage, higher operating voltage and where it works for me is above 2A draw. At 8A it's able deliver still ~1.2v and over 1.5WH. Again they are also very very robust in taking abuse.

I've killed many many Hi-cap cells in ~2C draws over a short period of time. It's true the 2700s hold up better but they aren't immune to FSD.