SUREFIRE EDCL-2T

jellydonut

Enlightened
Alongside this article about the Tactician, a mildly interesting light, something much more interesting lurks below the surface;

This is not the only new light from SureFire. John Johnston of Ballistic Radio has been working on a light with SureFire.

There are two versions, a single cell and dual cell light.

EDCL-1T is a 1xCR123A 500 Lumens
EDCL-2T is 2xCR123A's 1,200 lumens.

No intellibeam. Switching designed to give you all the lumens when you want all the lumens.
Both lights are using TIR reflectors as opposed to the E2T-MV using the MaxVision design. The mode switching is very intriguing. John Johnston says it is "gas pedal" so there is no twisting or pressing the tailcap multiple times for different light output. I suspect this will be similar to the LX2, A2L Aviator and tactical EB1 tailcap design. The Kroma tailcaps did the same thing. Half press the tailcap for low light. Press harder and you get full max output. Speaking of output, the numbers on the EDCL lights is rather impressive. 500 lumens on a single lithium CR123 is staggering. Then look at the 2 cell light pumping out 1200 lumens.

Is this FINALLY the return of the two-stage tailcap?

I haven't been interested in Surefire's output in years but this suddenly rekindled my interest.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gas pedal...QTC like?
I was thinking more LX2 like. This is very exciting SF is going back so some of their older designs. Also a 2 stage e series tailcap would open the door for some interesting legos.

Picture of EDCL-1T:

e2b68ebdd9c4a74b72bda7058d0a3b8a.jpg

Last edited:

elzilcho

Enlightened
The Maxvision doesn't suit me so I haven't looked at the latest EB1, but I'll be looking for more details on the possibility of the EDCL-1T.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just noticed they went with a LX2 style design but the scallop cuts are on the head instead of the body.

Pinarello

Newly Enlightened
Newby flasholic, but SF fan from the beggining. Currently have C2 with Pflexpro AP drop in, my favourite light, but EDCL - 1T looks fantastic. Very compact, possibly excellent UI, great lumens, beautiful, somehow traditional SF Mil design. My next light, for sure. Any idea about the date of release?

teak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes I'm glad they are making the 2 stage twisty again! Looks like I'll be getting both when they come out. That is, if they come out. Lol.

mk2rocco

Flashlight Enthusiast
We are finally getting a LX2 Ultra and LX1 [emoji16]

Edit: I guess the backup series was close to this as well...

JohnSmith

Enlightened
I thought I was done with Surefires, but I'll buy that EDCL-1T the day it's available. I'm not even a fan of 2-stage tailcaps, it's just a sexy looking light and if it's really 500 lumens on 1x CR123, that seals the deal for me.

Last edited:

jellydonut

Enlightened
It is in fact, the return of the two-stage tailcap.

Full Disclosure: I'm paid by Surefire.

Hello!! Welcome to CPF!

Is this a vendor one-off or an addition to Surefire's general product line?

I'm so excited for SF going back to its roots I can't even put it into words, after so many years of wandering in the darkness..

DrafterDan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire is the Rolex of the flashlight world. They make tweaks on decades-old designs. I do not own any modern SF's, but like their vintage torches. The brand new Aviator? It has the same E1 body from the 1990's.

I can't stand the body nor head design of the E1 backup, so to me, it's good they are reaching into the wayback machine

~D

JJRG

Newly Enlightened
Hello!! Welcome to CPF!

Is this a vendor one-off or an addition to Surefire's general product line?

I'm so excited for SF going back to its roots I can't even put it into words, after so many years of wandering in the darkness..

Both the EDCL-1T/2T will be new additions to the product line, available for actual purchase *very* soon as opposed to months from now. I've been carrying a pre-production prototype 1T for the last couple of months and have been pretty pleased. I'm biased though, as I spec'd both these lights.