Application assistance Cree xml t6's times 4

broadwayjoe

Newly Enlightened
I am trying to put together some lights to mount inside a 2" housing to be powered with a 12V Deep Cycle marine battery. I need some information and parts specifics for the mounting surface, driver or resistor, and heat sink. I can get aluminum stock from a metal shop if that will work for heat sink. I wanted to use 3 or 4 of the Cree XML T 6 Cool White Leds or some other wide angle type. Distirbutor rep. told me if I used 4 of them in series and a resistor I could eliminate using a driver. What do you recommend? I want to make a total of 4 of these cells to use as underwater floods for flounder gigging. Two off the front of the boat and one off each side at a 45 degree angle. I looked on the dive forum and most of the information applies to spots, not floods. Let me know if you need more information to make the best recommendation. Thanks in advance.

Optical Inferno

Enlightened
The aluminum is good and can be improved if you can somehow machine fins and through holes for the water flow. Or are you just throwing the whole thing in a plastic housing...not at all that good.

broadwayjoe

Newly Enlightened
The aluminum is good and can be improved if you can somehow machine fins and through holes for the water flow. Or are you just throwing the whole thing in a plastic housing...not at all that good.

I was going to put it in a pvc housing with a clear lense for waterproofing purposes and to make it easy to adapt to the pvc frame. The whole thing hangs off the front of the boat with a float on the upper frame and pivots to keep the lights the same depth under the surface. Look at this to get an idea what I'm trying to do: http://www.fishinglightsetc.com/Flounder6.html

I figured if they were submerged, the housing would take away most of the heat.

I have seen the heat sinks offered but it looks like I have to install one per LED. I haven't seen any I could mount 4 LED's and starboards on.

Optical Inferno

Enlightened
Neat... but PVC is not really a good conductor for heat. If you can find a way to somehow seal it with the aluminum exposed to the water then the LEDs will last longer and be brighter.

http://generalhardwaresz.com/ has some UDL shells that are sealed and can be submerged check them out even though they are not quite what you are thinking of.