POLL GATLIGHT DESIGN CHANGE

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
While taking sign up for round 2, we bumped into a design change that would change the look of the GatLight. Which look do you like better OLD OR NEW

NEW
GATLIGHTV2.jpg

OR OLD
gl6.jpg
gl5.jpg

Top is OLD - Bottom is NEW
study.jpg

Last edited:

Bogus1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted new because the esthetics are improved IMO, however perhaps the original will be easier to clean?

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please excuse my ignorance, but I can not see any clear difference btw the two different designs.

I think the new design got a fillet between board 2 & 3(from left to right) and left of board 4. While the original are all flat. Is that the difference?

If so I vote for new design, although possibly more cost due to additional lathe operation, but it's better thermal transfer to the rods.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding cleaning - you can basically remove the driver, battery and silicone seals, then put it into the dishwasher - and you'll get a clean Light again when it's finished. (I even ran it with battery and seals in - which worked fine (as longas water temp is <85C)..

Yes the only improvement is what you mentioned modamag. Well since we took already sign up with a fixed price, we would have to cover the additional costs..

greenLED

Flashaholic
mobile1 said:
Regarding cleaning - you can basically remove the driver, battery and silicone seals, then put it into the dishwasher - and you'll get a clean Light again when it's finished.

I was going to vote for the old style, just because I was thinking along the lines of Bogus1. However, after seeing what you wrote, I'm just :laughing: that's a great line! Tried the washing machine yet?

modamag

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to say, but I have "never" cleaned any of my lights.

90% of which are collector's item so there is an appropriate case and/or box for it.
The ones that are used (EDC around the house) are meant to take abuse so I leave them to do their job. If I drop them in the mud or dirty them with machining oil, I just wipe them down with a cloth.

Free

Enlightened
I voted for the new design, because I like it, and it will make my round 1 light even more valuable as a collectors item. :)

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
mobile1 said:
Top is OLD - Bottom is NEW
study.jpg
I didn't feel it was fair to voice an opinion if I didn't have a vested interest, so I just placed an order - checking account be damned
broke.gif

Do we have 2 choices or 3 choices? The top picture does not correctly represent the old design because the old design was completely open.

If the top picture is a choice, I like it the best. It's a nice clean design and shows off the rods the best. The fluted design is too fancified and detracts from what is already an engineering masterpiece.

The flat solid section behind the head in the top picture still gives me a place to put some tritium.

Last edited:

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the older design looked better. It's simpler, cleaner. I think the appeal for me is its straight lines in 2 planes contrasted against the regularity of the circle in the other plane. But I seem to be in the minority.

Amorphous

Enlightened
Grox said:
I think the older design looked better. It's simpler, cleaner. I think the appeal for me is its straight lines in 2 planes contrasted against the regularity of the circle in the other plane. But I seem to be in the minority.

You are not the only few contrarians here, and I do shared the same view on the older design.:)

Billson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the old design better. It's simpler and cleaner to look at. The "webbing" on the new design looks weird and out of place on the light.

JimH

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grox said:

What Grox said. I've changed my mind. Even if I don't have a convenient place to put tritium, I strongly prefer the old design. Messing with perfection only makes it imperfect.

It is possible that if I had a copy of the new design in my hand, I might change my mind again in favor of the new design. But with only a CAD drawing, it's too much money to take a chance on a bird that's not in the bush.

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Regarding easier to clean which was mentioned at the beginning.
We think the new version would be significantly easier. Dirt can get trapped in the sharp corners witch is vary hard to get out with a q-tip. With the corners rounded you can easily swipe all the surfaces.

jashhash

Enlightened
I like your new design better. The black screws give it more of a gun barel look. Im not sure whether the curved part of the body is an improvement though. On one hand it makes it look more high tech but im not sure if thats realy a good thing...