Anyone seen these Samsung power LEDs? Seem like XP-G.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://www.led1.de/shop/lng/en/samsung-leds/samsung-high-power/

These not only look incredibly similar to an XP-G, (although they clearly aren't exactly the same) but seem to give almost identical performance according to the specifications.

Forward voltage = 3.0v
Lumen for 5000k = 512 @ max 1500ma current (70 min CRI)
Lumen for 2700k = 448 @ max 1500ma current (80 min CRI)
Viewing angle 125 degrees

Just a coincidence? Maybe I've missed a distinction somewhere..

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
Could be interesting, about 1 Euro less than a seemingly equivalent XPG (~4 Euro for XPG, ~3 Euro for 3535), but I can't find a sample request on the SamsungLED website, so at the moment I won't investigate, still gotta do more trials with the XPG and hopefully get my hands on some XMLs and see how they compare.

Does seem that Samsung are producing warmer colours by default.

deadrx7conv

Enlightened
http://www.leds.de/en/High-Power-LEDs/Samsung-High-Power-LEDs/

The Samsung 3535 is advertised as a direct replacement for the XP-G. I wonder if there are some markets where Cree might just be too expensive. Its been mentioned here before but haven't seen anyone using it.

Samsung also has an "AC" LED to give the Seoul Acriche a run for driverless AC LED lights.

Some datasheets from:
http://www.leds.de/out/media/110606_SPHWHTL3D303E6R0J4_Rev002.pdf
http://www.leds.de/out/media/110606_SPHWHTL3D305E6W0F5_Rev002.pdf
http://www.leds.de/out/media/SPHWWTHDD805WHW0DD.pdf
http://www.leds.de/out/media/SPHCWTHDD803WHR0JC.pdf

pavithra_uk

Newly Enlightened
these are samsung 3535 LED (3535 mean 3.5x3.5mm size :p)

same as XP-G but I think samsung has smaller silicone dome. it looks flat than XP-G

Solder pad is exactly same as XP-G

Don't know about lumen output. however most samsung LEDs are little warm white. (even LEDs in their LCD monitors)

SemiMan

Banned
Keep in mind there is a difference from "available" bins on the data sheet, "typical" values, and what is actually shipping. The LED1.de site does not list either the brightness bin or the voltage bin for the LEDS. Samsung also does not list their typical values.

Nichia has a part very similar to the XP-G now and look for other Korean parts similar to the XPG. Shame, as I really can't stand the XPG, XPE, or XML when it comes down to thermal implementation. I would take a Rebel any day. How often am I trying to cram a ton of these in a small space?

Semiman

pavithra_uk

Newly Enlightened
Keep in mind there is a difference from "available" bins on the data sheet, "typical" values, and what is actually shipping. The LED1.de site does not list either the brightness bin or the voltage bin for the LEDS. Samsung also does not list their typical values.

Nichia has a part very similar to the XP-G now and look for other Korean parts similar to the XPG. Shame, as I really can't stand the XPG, XPE, or XML when it comes down to thermal implementation. I would take a Rebel any day. How often am I trying to cram a ton of these in a small space?

Semiman

I have some experience with Nichia ones. they similar to XP-G in size, lumen output, drive currents. but there is no dedicated thermal pad like XP-G, 3535. thermal solution design is a bit tricky.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was considering ordering some so it'd be good if you could report back here when you get chance to test them.

I'm glad it got to you, I hope everything is in order. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions/issues with it.

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
Oh... just realised that the "~3 Euro" is for orders over 1000...
That said, seems the conversion from Euro to Aussie Dollar is a lot less than I thought it was... but the shipping is ridiculous, 36Euro! Guess I won't be trying any of these suckers until someone else starts stocking them!

RoGuE_StreaK

Enlightened
Cutter charge $10 to ship within Australia; it's cheaper for me to buy from Illumination Supply, they only charge $2 to ship from the US!
Cutter would probably be my source if I'm ordering say 5+ LEDs / reflectors, otherwise their shipping kills it. Hell, they've even got a distributor in my city, but they said they'd still charge the shipping if I went and picked it up from them!

(location now added, wasn't when ergotelis posted)

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
If you take the company that charges $2.00 for shipping on top of a $4.00 part and the one that charges $10, I can pretty much guarantee that the one that charges $10 is likely to be in business longer unless the $2.00 one is based in China. It takes resources (time, material) to find a part, pack it properly, affix a label, and ship it. One of those companies is loosing money, one is not. Which one do you think will be in business longer?

Semiman

ergotelis

Enlightened
I didn't compare shipping from other countries, i compared the fact that Cutter needs 12AUD shipping to Greece and 10AUD to continental Australia, sounds really strange!

hellokitty[hk]

Enlightened
I didn't compare shipping from other countries, i compared the fact that Cutter needs 12AUD shipping to Greece and 10AUD to continental Australia, sounds really strange!
I think that the point SemiMan is trying to make is that a significant portion of that $10/$12 shipping cost is not directly paying for the shipping, but rather the other costs associated with stocking etc.

ergotelis

Enlightened
Just got the samsung leds. I am pretty sure you have tons of questions to me. I got one 2700K,one 3000K and three 5000K, all on their top bins. More to come later, i am quite curious as you are too!
Of course direct comparison will be with the cree xp-g. I have cutter 2T S2, cutter xp-g R4 4000K, and some other xp-g R5 different tints. I will measure Vf, lumen performance and will test too some classic reflectors. I will post some beamshots to see the beam and the tint, in a flashlight that will be easy to change the led a lot of times.

Last edited:

ergotelis

Enlightened
Ok, lets start with some measurements i just did.
Driver 7135 based, 1,05amp stable.
Empty white room, measurements@10sec.

xp-g S2 2T cutter #1(the best i have): 401,8 lumen
xp-g S2 2T cutter #2: 385,1 lumen
xp-g S2 2T cutter #3: 365,5 lumen
samsung 3535 5000K #1: 324,8 lumen
xp-g R5 1C : 321, 4 lumen
samsung 3535 5000K #2: 318,1 lumen
samsung 3535 5000K #3: 308,1 lumen
samsung 3535 3000K #4: 264,6 lumen
samsung 3535 2700K #5: 231,1 lumen

Following later some beamshots in white wall to show the tint and beam profile, another day i will do outdoor beamshots(well this is really difficult, have to use the same host with different leds, omg)

Last edited:

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
The efficiency is looking good, roughly R4/R5 equivalent for 5000k is as good as XP-G. Do you think the die could be the same in both?

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you take the company that charges $2.00 for shipping on top of a $4.00 part and the one that charges $10, I can pretty much guarantee that the one that charges $10 is likely to be in business longer unless the $2.00 one is based in China. It takes resources (time, material) to find a part, pack it properly, affix a label, and ship it. One of those companies is loosing money, one is not. Which one do you think will be in business longer?

Semiman

You can't compare the two apples to apples, they both have their own strengths. One is like if you had a hobby and opened up a shop to sell stuff that related to your hobby. The other is an authorized direct distributor of Cree LEDs. I do think that your point was that the higher "shipping" charge is actually meant to be "shipping and handling," which is worth paying for. I don't want to order a particular LED from digikey or farnell type places and then be left at the mercy of the stock guy who might not know that not all bins are the same. If I were looking for a specific bin of LED, I'd feel better about having someone who is interested in LEDs to pull my part from the correct reel.

I've purchased from illumination supply. I haven't purchased from cutter, but if I had a very specific Cree LED that i needed, I'd shop at cutter. Being an authorized distributor, they have a much wider selection of LEDs and their different bins than other distributors. I just liked the particular LEDs that Craig had, and he also had all the other parts I needed for my project, so I figured I'd just order from one place.