Westinghouse Rechargeable Lithium AA

elseis66

Newly Enlightened
I bought a 4 pack of Westinghouse Rehargeable Lithium AAs today at walmart for $10 and I have a few questions. They are 3.2v and say 600 mah. When I bought them I asumed I could charge them in my Energizer NIMH charger but am glad I check on here first :caution:. Now I am wondering what kind of cherger to use with them, how long they should charge for since I am pretty sure they are unprotected and where to get charger. I was thinking since I am going to have to buy a charger for these that a solar charger might be nice for emergency and i could leave charger in truck. Do any national chains sell a lithium AA charger so I can pick one up tonight? Should I return these and just buy a set up from Lighthound? Was anting to run these in a Solarforce L2r with a stock Surefire P60 incan bulb. Sorryfor rambling post, I am new to messing with anything other than alkalines or Cr123s, still trying to figure out my Energizer NiMH set up.

ama230

Enlightened
These are for the solar lights that they sell and if they are going by that then they will require a lower/trickle charge and a quick charger will damage them. Knowing how a solar charger works it trickle charges these cells at a low rate for the 8-10hrs(the lower current/higher voltage with the need of direct sunlight) with a poly-crystalline(bluish/lighter) cell and with a mono-crystalline(darker/greenish) cell it takes 6-8hrs(due to higher current/lower voltage and no need of direct sunlight).

It would be interesting to see the performance on these as its seems like a good deal for lithiums in a pack.

Also Im sticking to my word is that mono-crystalline is better even though it has a lower efficiency.

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a good reason for using the search function before posting. See this thread.

These cells are of high quality and will do a good job of running single cell lights that can take up to 3.2 V under regulation. For example they work quite well in a Fenix LD10.

You certainly cannot charge them in a NiMH charger. They are designed specifically for the solar lights sold in the same department and are not for ordinary home use.

If you want to charge them you will need a specially designed lithium iron phosphate 3.2 V charger that uses a CC/CV algorithm.

paulr

Flashaholic
Frankly if they are still in the package I think you should just take them back and get some Eneloops or something. They are special purpose batteries, need weird chargers, and have less energy density than commodity nimh cells.

ama230

Enlightened
Frankly if they are still in the package I think you should just take them back and get some Eneloops or something. They are special purpose batteries, need weird chargers, and have less energy density than commodity nimh cells.

I second this as well. A decent charger is going to run you more money = unhappy. Stick to the nimh's as you can not go wrong.