Malkoff M30 4/3a

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
The module works between 1v-5.5v as per Malkoff website. These cells are 1.2v nimh and have between 3800 and 4500 mah. You just have to make sure that you order the correct size as they come in 17mm and 18mm sizes. You can check them out here.
17mm= http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=4665

18mm= http://www.batteryspace.com/index.as...OD&ProdID=3240
progress.gif

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
Well I will as soon as they ship it to me!

:twothumbs

I think we will see the ouput level as if we were running it on 1 primary cell but for a long long time!

Turning the M30 into a virtual M60LL can be a good thing.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Output with a Li-Ion is about 220 lumens or so. Output with one CR123 or two AA NiMh's is about 130 lumens. Output with one NiMh would be ? It has got to be less than 130 lumens. I have got to try this out using one Eneloop, and figure that a very strong NiMh would give better results. The current M30's can operate from 1-5.5 volts imput. Need a lot of current to get good results with one NiMH, and two Eneloops draw about 1 amp from the batteries to attain 130 lumens, and that is at 2.8 volts or so starting. Interesting.

Bill

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will be placing an order for some as soon as I recoup from Christmas shopping. I noticed Batteryspace has 2aa battery holders also. I think if you cut down the sides of this and used a spacer it would work as a holder. What do you plan to do for charging? This may turn out to be a long runtime M30LL.:D

Axion

Enlightened
What body tube are people using to run 4 x 3a?

*edit* haha turns out I didn't know what a 4/3A is. I'm intrigued how many lumen and for how long would be expected with one of the 4500 mah 18mm ones? Are these LSD?

Last edited:

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think that they are LSD and at 3800 to 4500mah I'm not too concerned.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the cells today. I am putting them on the charger now. After a few cycles I will do a runtime test and post the results.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I just got the cells today. I am putting them on the charger now. After a few cycles I will do a runtime test and post the results.

Are you using one or two 4/3A's. Not too sure you are going to see a lot of light with one. Do you have measurement tools for measuring current and light output?

Bill

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you using one or two 4/3A's. Not too sure you are going to see a lot of light with one. Do you have measurement tools for measuring current and light output?

Bill
I am using 1 4/3a cell. I cannot measure light output but if I had to guess I would say it's around 70 to 80 lumens. The idea of this setup isn't max lumens. I want long runtime and proper battery size to tube without having to resort to wrapping batteries or using a sleeve. It could be used with 2 if you have a 6p with 2 extensions or a 2 18650/17670 tube as they are the same size.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just fininshed the 1st runtime test.The battery was 1.442v to start and ended 4hours and 20 minutes later at .958v.I think I just found my favorite battery for the m30wf.Like I said in my previous post the starting lumens looks to be around 70 or 80 lumens and at the end of the run I would guess it was around 40-50 lumens. I really like this combo. Now all I need to order is a 18650 body and a few of the Sanyo 4500mah 4/3a cells. I might be able to get 5hrs or more with these.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just fininshed the 1st runtime test.The battery was 1.442v to start and ended 4hours and 20 minutes later at .958v.I think I just found my favorite battery for the m30wf.Like I said in my previous post the starting lumens looks to be around 70 or 80 lumens and at the end of the run I would guess it was around 40-50 lumens. I really like this combo. Now all I need to order is a 18650 body and a few of the Sanyo 4500mah 4/3a cells. I might be able to get 5hrs or more with these.
Very Nice! sounds like a great house, car, or emergency light. So your test was with a 3800mAh cell, I guess. I don't know much about these cells, but if they were LSD I'd buy a couple. Right now I guess I'll just keep them in mind in case something comes up. In the mean time maybe Gene will develop a M15W drop-in, but I hope he comes out with a 2 or 3 level M30W first though.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think if the drive circuit was optimized for 1 nimh cell it would have better runtime and brightness. Malkoffs website does state that the drive voltage is 1-5.5 volts. I finished the second runtime test with the battery starting at 1.406 volts and ending at 1.03 volts and the runtime was 4:04 hrs. I placed an order for a 18650 tube and ordered some Sanyo 4/3af cells that are advertised to have 4500mah so I should get a considerable increase in runtime with those.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think if the drive circuit was optimized for 1 nimh cell it would have better runtime and brightness. Malkoffs website does state that the drive voltage is 1-5.5 volts. I finished the second runtime test with the battery starting at 1.406 volts and ending at 1.03 volts and the runtime was 4:04 hrs. I placed an order for a 18650 tube and ordered some Sanyo 4/3af cells that are advertised to have 4500mah so I should get a considerable increase in runtime with those.

Would you please check the battery current draw? You have a DMM?

Bill

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Output with a Li-Ion is about 220 lumens or so. Output with one CR123 or two AA NiMh's is about 130 lumens. Output with one NiMh would be ? It has got to be less than 130 lumens. I have got to try this out using one Eneloop, and figure that a very strong NiMh would give better results. The current M30's can operate from 1-5.5 volts imput. Need a lot of current to get good results with one NiMH, and two Eneloops draw about 1 amp from the batteries to attain 130 lumens, and that is at 2.8 volts or so starting. Interesting.

Bill

Does this mean that the M30 is direct drive (not regulated)? I would think that with good regulation and a buck/boost circuit, the differences wouldn't be that significant. Can't a good set of NIMHs deliver sufficient current?

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you please check the battery current draw? You have a DMM?

Bill
Yes I have a meter however it only reads up to 200ma. With 4 hours and 20 minutes runtime on a 3800mah battery tells me it is drawing approximately 875mah.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
What is a 4/3 A? Is there a thread somewhere?

Google is your friend. Not just CPF google. You will find that there are many different sizes of NiCd, and NiMh cells out there. Google and look up the specs. You have simply got to spend some time in the battery, electronics, etcf forum here on CPF, and explore elsewhere regarding batteries. :D

Bill

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast