Worlds brightest Bicycle light - 1400 lumens

mulki

Newly Enlightened
Just saw this on Gizmodo:

super7.jpg

1.jpeg

The article says that it uses "7 high quality LEDs". No mention of type of LEDs used.

Cost $ 1185. :eek:

Edit - Forgot the article link:
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/super-cy...ightest-cycle-lamp-is-called-betty-305959.php

Last edited:

Szemhazai

Enlightened
Read the archive... It's Lupine Betty 6/12 not 1400 lumens – they take this value from SSC datasheet - but about 1100 lumens :). So still the "brightest" is CayEye Stadium 3 – proved for about 1600 lumen power HID if I remember correctly...

znomit

Enlightened
Hendo: Nah the minT is way too flash to qualify as a "homebrew". :naughty:

Brent: yeah thats what I was looking for. Fantastic. :thumbsup:

Darell

Flashaholic
Hendo: Nah the minT is way too flash to qualify as a "homebrew". :naughty
And yet it is! Mount two of them for six emitters, and you can even combine the types of beam you'd like. It is all about the money at this point.

As for the one at the top of this thread, I have no idea how they plan on keeping that thing cool at 1A times that many emitters!

SemiMan

Banned
Can not believe I am saying this in this forum, but this seems like expensive overkill with less than stellar results. I love my LEDs, but if I want that many lumens, I think today I would stick to HID. I must admit the dimmability and long life are really attractive, but I think I would go with single LED or two low cost for low power usage and then back it up with HID. I will give the nod to LED for robustness, though HID tends to be relatively good compared to halogen.

Semiman

Szemhazai

Enlightened
Maybe in this year you have a right;). However, when led's will achieve 160 lumen @ 350mA then 4 led bike light consuming 10W will give you 1000 lumens. Then there will be definitely no place for HIDs on our trials :).

Pinter

Newly Enlightened
As for the one at the top of this thread, I have no idea how they plan on keeping that thing cool at 1A times that many emitters!
I also have a homemade 6xSSC bikelight. For 1A each there is approx 21 Watts on leds. A simple 50x50mm heatsink is enough when in use. Headwind makes a perfect active cooling. It is barely mild even after twenty minutes of 21 Watts use. But without forced air convection, on my desk, it becomes hot (cannot touch the heatsink) within 1.5-2 minutes.

cy

Flashaholic
got Cateye Stadium, Niterider HID Storm and ARC HID.....

Cateye is retired due dead batteries. super BRIGHT when it was going. Cateye was actually too bright, had to be careful not to blind cars. now using HID storm on handlebars and ARC HID as helmet light combo.

for car brightness levels and super long runtimes (8x18650 pack). HID is hard to beat...

Read the archive... It's Lupine Betty 6/12 not 1400 lumens – they take this value from SSC datasheet - but about 1100 lumens :). So still the "brightest" is CayEye Stadium 3 – proved for about 1600 lumen power HID if I remember correctly...

PeLu

Flashlight Enthusiast
when led's will achieve 160 lumen @ 350mA then 4 led bike light consuming 10W will give you 1000 lumens. Then there will be definitely no place for HIDs on our trials :).
HID offer also other advantages: The tiny size of the actual light source makes it easier to distribute the light like you want it.

Szemhazai

Enlightened
You can place 4 leds on square 4x4 cm using 4 different kind of optics... Maybe HID head is a bit smaller but when using led's you will get the beam pattern that will better suit your needs I think.

diff_lock2

Newly Enlightened
My main problem with led's for seeing (not to be seen) is that i just cant... with Incan i can see much more depth on and off the road. And i feel like the incan strains the eyes less.

Oh and its a fraction of the cost.

znomit

Enlightened
Aren't any problems with the colour of LEDs outweighed by the fact they are putting out 3 times the light (vs halogen)?

diff_lock2

Newly Enlightened
What i love about that light is the beam pattern, it was designed to see the road, and then you can alter it to flood for off the road. But the price is just over the top for ME. I am sure the product will match the price.

Well my 20w IRC at 14v is putting out close to 1000 lumens... i could be VERY wrong though.

HID-LED-GUY

Newly Enlightened

LOL, thats not the brightest bike light, i made a thread a couple of weeks ago about the brightest bike light, check it out, and heres one of the links to the light http://trailtech.net/SCMR16_helmet_light_kits.html