Fenix T1 Mini-Review (w. pics & beamshots)

meuge

Enlightened
Will a moderator please move this thread into "Reviews"... Thanks.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, my brand new T1 has just arrived, and I couldn't help but take a few minutes to write up my initial impressions.

Build quality
Excellent!

I have never handled a Surefire... but when I picked up the T1, it felt so solid that I am sure one could put a nail into the wall with its massive head. The P2D, as much as I love to EDC it, always struck me as feeling kinda flimsy (I know it's not)... and I just had a gut fear of dropping it, and seeing it shatter (yes, I know it won't). The T1 gives the opposite impression. It feels like it would deflect a 9mm FMJ round (will somebody please, please try that : )

The knurling on the body is very pleasant - fine enough not to feel rough, but certainly deep enough to add plenty of grip, even with gloves.

Tailcap switch
Smooth, very easy to operate... surprisingly easy, given that its obstructed by the 3 prongs. It's still usable with gloves on... but I can imagine that someone with really big fingers might have a problem.

The switch needs to be pressed about 3-4mm in order to engage the momentary on, and another 3mm or so in order for the switch to click on.

Bezel switch
It was initially very tight, and required a few turns in order to become smooth. Still requires a little bit of care to switch between General and Turbo modes, though... and definitely needs 2 hands for that.

The pocket clip is part of the head assembly, and does scratch the knurling on the body slightly when twisting the head, but only a slight turn is needed to switch modes, and I think the anodizing should be able to handle the scratch. It does, however, produce a slight click when switching modes, because the pocket clip clicks over 1 or 2 elements of the knurling.

Bezel/head/lens
Excellent quality. Very heavy, providing a nice balance for the light. Looks absolutely indestructible. The anti-reflective coating on the lens is very good.

Performance
Well, here we get to the part we've all been waiting for. I do not have a lux meter, so comparisons with my existing lights will have to suffice.

The contenders are:
1. Fenix T1
2. Fenix L2D-CE P4
3. Fenix P2D-R100
IMG_3558.JPG
IMG_3558.JPG
IMG_3558.JPG
58.JPG

Setup:
T1 (left) + contender (right) - 1 meter
IMG_3556.JPG
52.JPG

T1 versus L2D-CE P4
IMG_3551.JPG
51.JPG

T1 versus L2D-CE P4 (underexposed)
IMG_3554.JPG
54.JPG

T1 versus P2D-R100
IMG_3555.JPG
55.JPG

T1 versus P2D-R100 (underexposed)
IMG_3556.JPG
55.JPG

T1 (low) versus P2D-R100
IMG_3557.JPG
57.JPG

T1 (low) versus P2D-R100 (medium)
58.JPG

Brightness impressions
The hotspot seems at least 2X brighter than the L2D-CE P4 (smooth reflector). The corona is slightly brighter than the P2D-R100. The divergence of the corona is the same as L2D-CE, and the hotspot size is about the same as well. I think it will easily out-throw its smaller cousins.

--- more to come soon.

Last edited:

SafetyBob

Enlightened
Thanks for the quick review. I was very interested to see how this light came out. I just got a SF 6PL at Lowes the other day and found a complete and very noticable difference in the carry between the SF and the Fenix products. I must admit I sort of like the bulk of the SF but have no complaint about the wonderful size vs. light output of the Fenix lights. Particularly with the new tactical bodies available.

It is nice to see Fenix apparently trying to go head-to-head with SF then. Guess that means I will have to tone down everyone's Christmas presents and put my order in for a new T1!!

Bob E.

rookie

Enlightened
Cool review. Does the T1 has a smooth reflector or a textured reflector?

Thanx!

meuge

Enlightened
Cool review. Does the T1 has a smooth reflector or a textured reflector?

Thanx!

It's textured. I'd call it light orange peel.

I am going to take some pictures comparing it to the throw of the P2D-R100 later on tonight, but so far it seems to beat it hands down (maybe 2X the lux in the hotspot).

BigD64

Enlightened
Reflector is OP. I ordered 2. 1 arrived DOA. The other was awesome. A little bigger than I expected. I was hoping for a light similar in size to the SF L4. This is more like the 6P. Can't wait till dark to check the throw. :thumbsup:

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good review! Thanks a lot!

Does it get hot on turbo mode ??

Can someone post some pics holding it, to compare with your hand´s size ?

Danke!

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice.. waiting on mine to ship from PTS

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
I'm having trouble deciding but I think I'll pass on this T1 b/c of the clip thing and go for a dereelight. But i'm confused about the 2SD and 2SM designation on the CL1H. What is that? Does it refer to the batteries you can use?

Also about selecting the different modes. dereelight's website states that for "2-stage of output, press and hold the switch slightly within 1 second for mode change. 100%-->15%--> repeat. If you find a mode you like, press to lock on.If you leave on for more then 1 second this light has "Mode memory". Next time you turn it on, it remembers the last mode." Does that mean if I have use the momentary on method, the light will switch between modes?

I'm sorry about the newbie questions. I'm still new to this. I still don't know what AW batteries are...

chas9rr

Newly Enlightened
Hello Ducati, welcome to the board!
I am in the exact same position as you, debating between the T1 and the dereelight. The differeance in the 2SD and the 2SM as far as i can tell is the 2SM is "manual" switching between hi and lo mode via twisting the bezel. 2SD is digital via the tail switch. Also the 2SD is restricted to an 18650 battery I belive I dont have one so I cant say how the interface acts personally. For AW batteries, hit http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170420
For very important info about the safe use of li-ion batteries, hit https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161536

Back on topic, does anyone have a CL1H to do a side by side comparision? The T1 and Dereelight would have aprox. the same output correct?
Later,
Charles

I'm having trouble deciding but I think I'll pass on this T1 b/c of the clip thing and go for a dereelight. But i'm confused about the 2SD and 2SM designation on the CL1H. What is that? Does it refer to the batteries you can use?

Also about selecting the different modes. dereelight's website states that for "2-stage of output, press and hold the switch slightly within 1 second for mode change. 100%-->15%--> repeat. If you find a mode you like, press to lock on.If you leave on for more then 1 second this light has "Mode memory". Next time you turn it on, it remembers the last mode." Does that mean if I have use the momentary on method, the light will switch between modes?

I'm sorry about the newbie questions. I'm still new to this. I still don't know what AW batteries are...

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check my T1 review in the review forum for side by side pics.

The T1 is a Q5 drive at around 1A, I think I've heard 950mA.

The Dereelight 2SM is 800mA, the current 2SD and 3SD's were 1A, but the new ones, which I hear are shipping this week, are 1.2A. So the new ones should have a bit (not a lot) more output than the T1. Then it's a matter of an OP or smooth reflector. With OP the CL1H and T1 will be very similar, and the T1 appears to have a p60 size reflector in it. The CL1H with smooth will have a tighter hot spot and out throw the T1.

The CL1H is more modular, you can switch pills (emitter module), reflectors, etc.

If you want the ability to do momentary flashes, the 2SD and 3SD will change modes. There is a 1SD available, but it's full output all the time, no low mode.

The 2SM allows more battery options, and you twist the body and bezel to switch between low and high, so you can signal, flash, etc, with the momentary forward clicky without changing modes.

Maybe Dereelight will come out with a new 2SM in the future that allows mode changing, and has more output.

The 2SD and 3SD were designed to handle the higher Vf of the Q5's and they pull more current from the 18650 as the their voltage drops to delivery enough voltage to the Q5 so it can continue to draw 1.2A from the driver, or whatever. :)

The T1 is more heavy duty than the CL1H, especially around the bezel. It may not be the best design for a true "tactical" light, but it's a good solid light for someone who wants something that can get banged around and take a beating.

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
Hello Ducati, welcome to the board! I am in the exact same position as you, debating between the T1 and the dereelight. The differeance in the 2SD and the 2SM as far as i can tell is the 2SM is "manual" switching between hi and lo mode via twisting the bezel. 2SD is digital via the tail switch. Also the 2SD is restricted to an 18650 battery I belive I dont have one so I cant say how the interface acts personally. For AW batteries, hit http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=170420 For very important info about the safe use of li-ion batteries, hit https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/161536 Back on topic, does anyone have a CL1H to do a side by side comparision? The T1 and Dereelight would have aprox. the same output correct? Later, Charles
charles, thx for clearing that up about the SD and SM and for the links about the batteries. It's a good read... As for the lights, the reviewer here compared both, but the dereelight didn't have the OP reflector so it wasn't a direct comparison.

EDIT: It looks the "reviewer" chimed in already while I was posting my response. Thx WadeF!

Last edited:

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
The T1 fits in the supplied holster.

FenixT1016Small.jpg
Thx for this pic! I should've been more specific. I meant to write that I have a leather holster for my light and this T1 won't fit with the clip. I don't like velcro b/c of the noise.