Custom Maglite Tri/Quad Luxeon up to 12 watts from 1 to 2 NIMH D cells (9-12Ah)

Status
Not open for further replies.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm taking orders for the Tri-Lux 2D for $125 each and the Quad-lux 2D for $150. I turn around orders for these in about 2-3 weeks. Only 2 batteries to mess with and everybit of the power you'd expect out of a Tri/Quad-lux mag. The 1D cell versions will be $25 more but are not currently being offered. A micro-controller (PIC) version is also forthcoming and will be a $25 option.

Colors available are dark blue, dark green, copper, pewter, silver, red, and black.

It will not be a parallel Lux configuration. It will be using 3 or 4 separate drivers integrated on one driver board. This offers optimal efficiency and power distribution.

In the photo's below, the 2D Tri-Lux is driving RV1H's at 900mA each and the Quad is driving UWOJ's at 500mA each. The current draw for the cells for the 2D Tri-lux is 4.2 amps for a runtime of almost 2 hours and down only 10% in brightness at the 111 minute mark. The current draw from the cell for the 1D is 7.1 amps for a runtime of 1 hour and 10 minutes and down only 20% in brightness at the 66 minute mark. These runtimes are based on the cells being used are NIMH and rated at 10 amp hours.

2D Tri Left, 1D Quad right

New Mag 2D LED vs. 1D Quad

New Mag 2D LED vs. 2D Tri

1D Quad vs. Fenix L2P

Here's some runtime charts for some of the configurations available:

1D.jpg

Tri-Luxruntime.jpg

QuadRuntime.jpg

A Lux I R-bin @ 350mA is 45 Lumens typical; not lower than 39.8 and not more than 51.7 lumens. For a total of 135 lumens typical for 3X1 @ 3.6 watts when Vf is 3.4V.

A Lux III T-bin @ 700mA is 77 lumens typical; not lower than 67.2 and not more than 87.4 lumens. For an average of 77.2 lumens for a single Lux driven at 2.4 watts when the Vf is 3.4V.

37.5 lumens per watt with the first case (3X1 Lux I's) and 32 lumens per watt in the second case (1 Lux III).

These drivers are at about 85% efficiency in this configuration (350mA per Lux) and about 80% efficient with a 700mA drive per Lux configuration.

The 2D cell version are available in the following set-ups:

-Tri-lux at 1 watt per lux (3 watts total with ~135 lumens output); can use regular alkalines and has a 6 hour runtime with NIMH (12Ah) cells and down by 20% at the sixth hour. (This is an estimate).
-Tri-lux at 2 watts per lux (6 watts total with ~195 lumens output); 3 hour runtime with NIMH cells and down by 20% at the third hour. (This is an estimate).
-Tri-lux at 3 watt per lux (9 watts total with ~250 lumens output); 2 hour runtime with NIMH cells and down by 20% at the second hour. (This is an estimate).
-Quad-lux at 3 watts per lux (12 watts total with ~320 lumens output with T-bins and 400+/- with U-bins); 1.5 hours runtime with NIMH cells and down by 20% at the 1.5 hour mark. ( runtime charts for this mod are posted in this thread).

The 1D cell version will be available in the following set-ups:

IMG_7253.jpg

-Tri-lux at 1 watt per lux (3 watts total with ~135 lumens output); 3.5 hour runtime with a NIMH cell and down by 20% after 3.5 hours. (This is an estimate, runtime charts forthcoming).
-Tri-lux at 1.8 watts per lux (5.4 watts total with ~180 lumens output); 1.6 hour runtime with a NIMH cell and down by 20% after 1.5 hours.
-Quad-lux at 1.8 watts per lux (7.2 watts total with ~250 lumens using U-bin lux III's or S-bin lux I's). 1.2 hour runtime with a NIMH cell and down by 20% after 1.1 hours.

2D Quad Lux III U-bin measures 8,390 lux from 1 meter.
1D Quad Lux I S-bin measures 5,030 lux from 1 meter.

Last edited:

XFlash

Enlightened
I'll take one of the, -Tri-lux at 1 watt per lux (3 watts total with ~135 lumens output); can use regular alkalines and has a 7 hour runtime with NIMH cells and down by 20% at the seventh hour. (This is an estimate).
Thanks

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
XFlash said:
I'll take one of the, -Tri-lux at 1 watt per lux (3 watts total with ~135 lumens output); can use regular alkalines and has a 7 hour runtime with NIMH cells and down by 20% at the seventh hour. (This is an estimate).
Thanks

I made a correction in my post. It should be 6 hours, not 7.

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a couple of review posts that I took from the old thread:
nvr2brt said:
MillerMods,

- The 2D Quad LuxIII you designed, built and delivered to me is nothing short of a fine work of art.

- It is EXTREMELY bright and certainly appears to beat anything currently on the market for quality, ease of use and price/performance ratio.

I for one, think this is a d*mn fine flashlight, well worth the $ and I'm certainly glad I bought one!
flah007 said:
I have received my 2D Tri-Lux UWOJ @1000mA today !
Extremely bright, compared with the MM L2P UWOJ @ 3,3W.

The hotspot is big and bright, with plenty of useful sidespill, like I wanted.

Thank you Millermods for your superb mod ! :bow: :thanks:+ 12Ah accus (CTA)

I go on holiday this friday.
When I'll be back, in July, I think to do a post with beamshots of various lights (MM L1P, MM L2P, MM Tri-Lux UWOJ, Propoly 4AA Lux, Inova T4, Jr. Luxeon, and others).

ayashko

Newly Enlightened
okelydokely, can i please have;

2D Quad-lux,
in Pewter,
PIC (how many/what output levels are you looking at?),
U bins,

When available, I'll also buy;

1D Quad,
Dark Blue,
PIC,
U bins

Hmmm, I'll also get 6 of your 12Ah D's, and a charger to suit, thanks.
(these work on 240 V input too?)

PM me with cost and details, and I'll paypal pronto!!

Cheers

ayashko

Newly Enlightened
sheesh, what's going on here? you guys were climbing all over MM to get one of these before... c'mon, order up!!

Campbell

Newly Enlightened
I would be interested in a 1D Quad when they become available. Thanks......Wallace

Last edited:

ayashko

Newly Enlightened
MM, when do you think the PIC's will be ready? ETA on the 2D with PIC?
Cheers

MillerMods

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the way things are going right now, I can't say. I've got too many things going on at home to spend the amount of time it takes right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.