New Phone Battery Arrived at 2.68 Volts

Should I return the battery?

• Total voters

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a new cell phone battery from Nokia, and when it arrived the phone wouldn't boot. I just multimetered it at 2.68 volts.
Should I just send it right back as a fire hazard?

Edit: It is a Nokia BP-6MT, and appears to be an unprotected cell with all the control electronics in the phone handset. Probably a standard prismatic li-co cell inside, but that's a SWAG.

Last edited:

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
2.68v isn't too low to the point where the cell is unusable. However if it sat at that SOC for a while, there could be some permanent damage / capacity loss.

I would probably contact the vendor and see if you can exchange / return it. But I don't think it would be at all dangerous to try using it either. Just keep in mind it won't likely have full capacity like a fresh cell would.

czAtlantis

Enlightened
I restored two 4s2p battery packs for laptops where the batteries were at 1.7V each. Now they have around 100-95%capacity and work fine. 2.68V is totally safe.

But this might be sign of old battery! (and/or just poor circuit requiring lot of power)

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
As it happens, the Nokia phone this is designed for won't turn on with it in place, and doesn't seem to charge it. :fail:

czAtlantis

Enlightened
That is strange, 2.68V is not so low. Anyway try to recharge it externally.
Also this low voltage can be one of the signs of damaged battery - it can have high internal resistance etc. So try charging it externally above 3V and see if it helps.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, forget charging it.

If the device that is meant to charge it doesn't charge it, that is reason enough to return the battery for one that has been stored properly. That is the great thing about buying name brand!