Alkaline battery brand quality

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Going to get some D cell to keep in house and jeep as spare for my soon to be malkoff maglite, I'm wondering are there any quality differences among different brand of cells? Like between duracell and energizer, or even throwing smaller brands like rayovac, eveready into the mix?

Marduke

Flashaholic
Eveready and Energizer are the same company. All of the big 3 (Energizer, Duracell, and Rayovac) are pretty much on the same level for quality and performance. However, Rayovac tends to be a better deal because they can be found the cheapest. Best bang for the buck goes to Rayovac

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
There must be something with eveready, it sells for less than half of what energizer sells for, in the same store next to each other.

ACMarina

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use Radioshack batteries because I get quite a discount on them, and while I don't do extensive testing I'd say they're pretty close to what the others are..

Not that I use a lot of alkaline batteries these days :p

flash99dark

Newly Enlightened
Both my girlfriend and her mom usually use the Wallgreens house brand. They claim that they do not notice any real difference between Energizers and the Walgreens AA and AAA batteries. Many times the sale price in this area drops to 25 to .27 cents each. The AA's are used in an Elecktrolumens XM-3 and the AAA's in a couple of Princeton Tech lights...William

Marduke

Flashaholic
I just check the store online catalogue, both are alkaline. For two D pack energizer is $5.18 and eveready is $2.99. :confused:

Their gold line is, but they sell more of the super heavy duty line. Eveready is just the economy line of batteries compared to Energizer. Definitely not as good though.

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Marduke, have you done a comparison between Eveready Gold and Energizers? In my case the Golds seemed a better value but things could have changed. The bunnies didn't warrant the extra cost, I felt.

Ray O Vacs are usually my choice for best value unless some store has super blow out on a different brand.