what i would like to know is - how do they compare in terms of
1. Beam quality ?
2. Output (Lumens)
3. Throw

i am not looking at modding them with the exception of higher capacity cells
i know they are similar length and that the mag is fatter and heavier
i just want the better light for my hard earned $$$

a lot of people at work carry the mag
i have only seen the U/S in a shop in daytime - and i only had a almost flat L4 to compare it too - which would be a better choice - i want something that throws a loooong way

LouRoy

Enlightened
I have owned both--the Magcharger since 1998 and the Ultrastinger since 2001. For my purposes as a home inspector, the Ultrastinger is much, much better. It is way brighter, a full pound lighter, and has better beam quality to my eyes. It does have a shorter run time of approximately 1 hour vs. almost 2 hours for the Magcharger. I have not found that to be a problem--I just bought two of them!!

I can't really compare the throw as I never need throw of more than 50 feet. Both do fine at that range.

Both brands have had switch problems--I simply sent them back to the manufacturers and they replaced the switches for no charge. Of course, I turn a flashlight on maybe 100 times a day, so I give the switches an extremely hard workout. For normal use, I think both switches are adequate.

Finally the Magcharger takes 16 hours for a full charge, while the Ultrastinger will fully charge in 10-11 hours. This makes a difference to me as I use them everyday.

I sold my Magcharger 6 months ago and have not missed it for a single minute!!

Hope this helps and good luck with your choice!

Luna

Enlightened
After my test this weekend with the KT1, I wonder if boring out the 6P and using Pilas would be the best choice for you. It is smaller and throws as well as the US and I haven't even tried the larger bulbs yet.

The MagCharger with the new style bulbs is whiter and throws farther than my UltraStinger. The US is lighter and projects a better beam on the wall but in real world application, it is not better. You can get the ultrastinger with a quickcharge cradle that might tip it in favor over the magcharger.

If I were to choose a duty light, my SF U2 would take the cake. Sure it doesn't have the throw of the other two but is it more usable.

Vrt

Newly Enlightened
Echo63, have you been considering Tigerlight or Pila rechargeable lights ?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the help guys
VRT - i already use a Pila GL3XR it works really well but i need something with more throw
does anyone know if the US can take the hot welch allyn globes ? i know it would kill the runtime though unless you could make up a better pack

Luna

Enlightened
In the US, I have a Nimh stick and it powers the wa1160 just fine. You just have to worry about melting the lens. I haven't with the 1160 yet but it has happened with a 6v 20w ESB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif This might be more because it is closer to the lens than the smaller 1160

The standard US bulb is nice with the more powerful battery stick, too. No melt problems (as long as you dont leave it on and face down on a table) and you get about 2x the runtime. And since I used RC batteries, I can yank the stick and do a 5amp charge rate /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Opps, I just noticed an IE title bar that says Preview post---hehe this was suppost to have been posted last night /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I keep a Stinger in my truck. I used a M*gcharger last night for some 1185 testing, and put an 1160 in it for the use of it. I can't afford to buy two Pilas and the FM adapter, so I am thinking of requesting a MC for my truck instead.

With the 1160 bulb, it's quite whiter/brighter and has a VERY better beam with it centered!

voodoogreg

Flashlight Enthusiast
Magcharger all the way. I have played with the SL/US, and like my old MC a lot better. Just "feels" better made, more throw, right balance for my hand.

Lot's of them in service, more dealer's available in more place's. the best mag made and though the reflector/flood/spot is a bit better in SL, but there still are donut's and dark spot's so real world wise I don't think it makes a difference.

MC just feel's better made and real engine block tough. VDG