Best Single AA/AAA Flashlight?

kris994

Newly Enlightened
I've been searching on here and so far I am looking at the Fenix E01 or Jetbeam C-LE.

It's for general use when carrying a bigger light will get in the way. It would be very helpful if it had adjustable brightness and must not feel too big in your pocket.

Any suggestions?

Flic

Enlightened
More requirements would be useful. The E01 is a single mode AAA while the AA C-LE is no longer produced.

teststrips

Enlightened
I've EDC'ed several different AA flashlights over the last few years. Started with a Fenix (forget model), then a Jetbeam Jet 1, the dexlight, the Nitecore Defender infinity, and now the NiteCore D10.

My problem with each light as I progressed was that I couldn't find one with an interface that I actually liked to get to different brightness settings. The D10 is the closest to what I want so far... its an exceptional light.

I like to pocket clip carry, and this is the first bright AA light that I know of that has a clip available for it from the manufacturer. (I stole clips from gerber Infinity ultras for my previous lights - which was expensive to buy a ~20 dollar light just for its clip)

Anyway - really think about the interfaces if you want a multiple level light. Check youtube for demonstrations of interfaces on lights - you'll be surprised how many videos are out there showing how various lights work.

parkschr

Newly Enlightened
I have the Fenix LOD and love it! I recommend this light or the newest replacement for the LOD, the Fenix LD01.

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
I have the Fenix EO1, and it's a great AAA light. IMHO, an AAA light shouldn't be really bright and should only have one level of brightness, rugged and should have a decent runtime. I found the E01 just right for my keychain light, great beater light and when it gets lost or really banged up it's not expensive to replace. The brightness is just right for most of my tasks that requires light, from cleaning my daughters ears to hiking at night.

As for the single AA light I got the NDI. My first single AA light and I liked it so much I never bought another AA light and I'm still using it now. I like the user interface, all the brightness level and features that I like is in the NDI.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest the 1xAA (there is also a 2xAA version) Jet-I IBS.
IBS is the important feature - you have 3 settings to cycle through and IBS lets you customise each setting to whatever you want (2-230 lumens, a bunch of various strobe settings, SOS). I have used this feature to get rid of the strobe and give me:
A - a very low output (maybe 5%) which doesn't stuff up my night vision and gives me a really long run time.
B - a good general purpose medium output, bright enough for general use but with 4+ hours of run time from a 14500, longer from a AA.
C - maximum output, for whenever I need the brightest light I can get.
I prefer the IBS on my Jetbeam to the UI on my Fenix, the customisable programming of each setting lets me make it what I want.

I run mine on 14500 rechargeable lithium cells, but I can use NiMH, Alkaline or Lithium AA cells as well. So . . .
Versatile battery usage
Versatile output levels and therefore versatile run time availability.
What more do you need in a light?

The 2 way clip is also a nice touch.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
I EDC'ed the Jet CLE v2 prior to this week when I received my Fenix L0D. Since the L0D is 1xAAA, it fits in my pocket more comfortably than the CLE (1xAA). The CLE is small enough but the L0D just feels better. Plus, the L0D is comparable in performance. Both are 5-mode with similar output although the CLE lasts just a bit longer on runtime. I still have the CLE in my jacket/coat pocket now so it is still an EDC, just not my primary.

krazy89

Enlightened
hey guys.. just throwing in my 0.02 cents...

the L0D is probably the best choice for AAA... simple UI... multi levels... and it's friggin tiny... in my jeans pocket (i actually have a modded L0P SE) you barely notice it at all... you can even put it on your keychain (if you don't mind scratching your light up)

IMO, single AA is too big for pockets and even single CR123's... it's just not skinny enough to be unnoticed. I EDC an EX10 with a fenix P1D holster on my belt.. and it's totally unnoticeable...

as for UI's... i love the Jetbeam IBS!!!! by far one of the simplest yet customizable UI's there is... 3 levels... any brightness/strobe

KraZy

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
So there we have it - kris994 needs a L0D on his key chain and a Jetbeam Jet-I IBS in his shirt/jacket pocket. That is the AA and AAA sorted! :thumbsup:

Next he'll need the best 18670/2 x 123 light and the best 1 x 123 light and a few others :whistle:

Always remember - CPF helps flashaholism grow, we don't seek to cure it.

krazy89

Enlightened
haha... let me just say... run... save yourself now...

it doesn't end at 1.... trust me....

KraZy

srvctec

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for the single AA light I got the NDI. My first single AA light and I liked it so much I never bought another AA light and I'm still using it now. I like the user interface, all the brightness level and features that I like is in the NDI.

I've had numerous AA lights and got in on the pre-buy craze of the NDI in November of last year. I still EDC it and use it numerous times a day. I can't see getting another AA light unless my NDI dies or I lose it.

Now if they would just make a AAA light with the same UI- THAT would be one I would buy in an instant.

Last edited:

Photon Joe

Newly Enlightened
He needs a Proton Pro too, AA , pocket size, comes with holster and has red light to boot.

Polar_Hops

Enlightened
I really like the nitecore D10 for an AA light. It has a different and simple UI from most other lights. One thing i dont like about it is SOS- but luckly, that's one reason i carry my favorite AAA light- The MJ Extreme III.

The Mj Extreme III is a good light- I was so fascinated by it's user interface and the use of a warmer rebel led that I got it. I keep telling myself i would have been happier for the cost with a liteflux LF2x, which is basically the same thing (besides for the custom factor, it may actually be considered less than the LF2X due to lack of the extra goodies that come with the LF2X) at less than half of the price.

The Mj Extreme III/liteflux LF2 are great... For the people wanting simplicity in operation, you get it. However, the price to be paid is setting up the light. It is sort of like a vcr like that (but not as obscelete.) The light has two primary output modes. If the user would like the modes to be the same, set the light value to the same! If they think they want a simple light, where they turn it on to whatever level they want, but also with a brighter or dimmer mode, they can do that too! Also has strobe, which i believe the frequency is adjustable, and sos. You can easily switch between your bright and low mode just by turning the bezel (for mode 1), and turning it more (for mode 2). Even though it is not as easy to choose the level of brightness that you want at that particular moment when compared to the D10, it is still possible. And for those of you who like very bright, small lights- This is the ONLY AAA light i know of that has overdischarge protection for BOTH NiMH and Li-Ion cells. (I cannot say in any number of words how great I think this light is... It is really amazing. one of my BRIGHTEST LED LIGHTS, too! [brighter than my d10 with AW protected Lithium Ion cells in it])

About the over discharge protection... I'm not so sure that it is PERFECT. but it DOES save the life of the battery by a lot. If you overdischarge a Li-Ion cell, you cannot get it charged (safely)- this light takes it down to the level where damage may still occur. With this light, i have been using strictly lithium ion AAA cells. When i first get the cells, they last for 18 minutes before the light starts to shut off due to overdischarge protection cutting the light off. I had to get two sets of cells, and am probably due for another pair. But the cells are small, and are pretty much abused at close to 4C discharges, so it may be a number of things effecting the reduced battery life.

The main point i want to make is the liteflux LF2/ MJ Extreme III is probably THE MOST versatile AAA light out there. In terms of the price, and the frustration i experienced while setting the light up (i thought it was broken!), it has been totally worth it.

(also is THE SMOOTHEST twisty i have ever operated! (longbow, arc AAA, fenix L0D CE)
Please excuse my early morning ramblings!

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a nice thread.

I'm currently EDCing a Lummi Wee on my keychain which is a delightful light. It is super bright (I got the 100 lumen) but it is almost all flood. Because I got the warm tinted light, it is like a very bright, smooth incan gently lightly the way. In short, I love it. It is tiny and bright and I posted some beamshots and images here: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2679963#post2679963

Buuuut... I'm thinking that I'd like something a bit more versatile and with more throw than flood... so this thread is really helpful.

I think I need an LD01... https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211032

Oh dear...

:broke: