Can Anyone Recommend A COMPACT Scanner/Printer/Copier That Is EASY To Use!

Gene

Flashlight Enthusiast
Our old Dell all-in-one copier went south last year. It was a great all-in-one but it was huge and of course replacement ink cartridges were more than we paid for the unit.

We went to Walley World and I bought the cheapest and smallest all-in-one they had.

It was a Canon and it is a lot smaller than the Dell but after owning it for a few weeks we discovered it drank ink like a drunken sailor drinks booze.

It is also so complicated to use and we gave up on anything except using it for black and white copies.

What I liked about our old Dell was that it was easy as pie to understand and use.

Can anyone recommend a very compact all-in-one, (don't need fax), that has cheaper ink cartridges and is easy to use for non-techies like us?

StarHalo

Flashaholic
replacement ink cartridges were more than we paid for the unit.

That's the catch with shaving razors and printers. And I've never seen a printer that "went easy" on ink, all you can do is set it for fast/low quality printing as often as possible.

fluids.jpg

Last edited:

carl20

Newly Enlightened
Our old Dell all-in-one copier went south last year. It was a great all-in-one but it was huge and of course replacement ink cartridges were more than we paid for the unit.

We went to Walley World and I bought the cheapest and smallest all-in-one they had.

It was a Canon and it is a lot smaller than the Dell but after owning it for a few weeks we discovered it drank ink like a drunken sailor drinks booze.

It is also so complicated to use and we gave up on anything except using it for black and white copies.

What I liked about our old Dell was that it was easy as pie to understand and use.

Can anyone recommend a very compact all-in-one, (don't need fax), that has cheap ink cartridges and is easy to use for non-techies like us?

I also like dell so sad that it given up,now i can't find one to replace it. cartridges seems to cost a fortune nowadays..

Last edited:

ericjohn

Enlightened
I have an Epson Stylus NX420, purchased it in December 2010. I dont know if it is still available in stores, but it works pretty well once everything is up and running.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I personally prefer separate printers and scanners and stumbled across a cannon LIDE scanner used that I like because it is USB powered and very thin and weighs very little so you can easily disconnect it and store it till you need it. mine has a copy button on the front of the scanner. I have seen that a lot of the all in one gizmos like to use smaller ink carts. which end up costing you more to use and replace.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
If color isn't key, a b/w laser MFC from brother fits the bill. 100-300 depending, but one cartridge can last years.

JacobJones

Enlightened
Don't bother with cheap ones. Wonder why they are so cheap? Because they'll rip you off on the ink cartridges to make up for it and the ink cartridges don't last long enough. We got the cheapest printer in the shop a couple of years ago, and now we've spent twice the value of the printer on ink cartridges, this is with less than average use (we probably print or copy on average 2 colour print outs a month). That printer was one of the epson stylus series, don't remember the model. And it's print outs were substandard quality at best, first I thought it was my digtal camera not having image stabilization but after testing it with a good printer and getting sharp print outs I realized it was the cheap printer.

Now we are using a newer model from the epson stylus series that works really quite well, slight colour fading when photocopying but not too bad. and the cartridges last a really long time compared to the old one, did somethings like 200 copies before they needed changing

Kevin1322

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a "get what you pay for" type of thing. Getting the best bang for your buck though depends on a lot of info you didn't give however. I sell more Samsung SCX 5935s for than anything. It's great for home or small offices/practices. It's a desk top machine with the bigger machine power and very easy to use. Everyone we get it to absolutely loves it. 35 pages per minute, toner yield of 10,000. Cost per copy is extremely hard to beat. I'm not likely to sell you one anyway as you are in Cali, so if you want to give me a call you can trust that I will give you the straight scoop on this machine, or maybe some others you might be thinking of if l can. Headed out on vacation, so feel free to give me a call at 623-640-6737 if you would like.

Dr Jekell

Enlightened
Your best bet is to get a business class laser printer/copier.

You will get better results form them than you will from the consumer versions.