Lumintop TD-15 Terminator (XP-G R5) Thrower Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Warning: pic heavy, as usual. :whistle:

TD15010.jpg

Specifications:
  • LED: CREE XP-G R5 LED
  • Two mode sets, controlled by loosening and tightening the bezel twice in 0.5 second to switch.
  • Normal mode: low(20 lumen) - middle(150 lumen) - high(350 lumen)
  • Tactical mode: Turbo(420 lumen) - Strobe
  • Max Output / Runtime: 420 lumens / 1.2 hours (all output & runtimes based on two CR123A 1300mAh lithium batteries)
  • High Output / Runtime: 350 lumens / 1.5 hours*
  • Middle output / Runtime: 150 lumens / 5 hours*
  • Low output / Runtime: 20 lumens / 35 hours*
  • Battery Type: 2x CR123A , 2x RCR123A/16340, 1x Li-ion 18650 or 1x 17670 battery
  • High-strength aerospace aluminum body, Mil-Spec hard-anodized for extreme durability
  • Tactical tailcap switch - press for momentary-on, click for constant-on
  • Waterproof IPX-8
  • Precision reflector creates smooth, optimized beam
  • Film-coated 99% high-transparent tempered glass protect the reflector and LED
  • High ductility steel clip
  • Anti-reverse protection circuit
  • Wear resistant square thread
  • Stainless steel crenelated Strike Bezel and scalloped tailcap provide further defensive options.
  • Intelligent memory circuitry memorizes last mode when activating the light.
  • Combat Ring with anti-rolling design for secure hold in all conditions
  • Length: 5.83 inches (148mm), Bezel Diameter 1.50 inches (38mm), Body Diameter 1 inches (25.4mm)
  • Weight: 5.3 ounces (150g)
  • Included accessories: holster, lanyard, body clip, two spare o-rings, and a rubber switch boot.
  • Estimated MSRP ~$64
While not in the official specs, my sample also came with one battery extender for 3*CR123A or 3*RCR (16340) configuration. According to Lumintop, the working voltage is 3V-14V. 2x18500 also works this way (or 2x18650 with 2 battery extenders, according to Lumintop).

Lumintop is a new arrival on the flashlight scene, with a range of models. Reviewed here is there XP-G R5 "thrower" model, the Terminator TD-15.

TD15009.jpg

Packaging is fairly typical, but the light comes with a good number of extras like a good quality wrist lanyard, good quality holster, spare o-rings and boot cap, replacement cover for the attached pocket clip, and manual.

Does the light or these accessories look familiar? I'll come back to that at the end of the review. :whistle:

TD15011.jpg

TD15017.jpg

As I mentioned, my sample came with an optional battery extender tube to allow for 3xCR123A/RCR. Here's how it looks with it installed.

TD15016.jpg
TD15020.jpg

The rest of the pics will show the regular light without extender.

TD15008.jpg

TD15005.jpg

From left to right: AW Protected 18650, Lumintop TD-15, Ray Tactical X60, 4Sevens Maelstrom G5, Olight M20, Eagletac T20C2-II, Tiablo A9-R5

TD-15: Weight: 139.2g (no batteries), Length 148.7mm x Width 37.8mm (bezel)
4Sevens G5 Weight: 145.5g (no batteries), Length 156mm x Width 38.9mm (bezel)

TD15013.jpg

TD15019.jpg

TD15017.jpg

TD15018.jpg

Build quality is very high. :eek:oo: Screw threads are square-cut, and anodized at the tailcap for lock-out.

Anodizing is perfect on my sample, no chips in a gloss black (HA = type III). Knurling is decent, and the light has a lot of features that help with grip. Lettering is sharp and clear, in bright white against the shiny black finish.

Light can tailstand. Note the removable scalloped stainless steel tailcap and bezel rings.

Flat-top 18650s worked on my sample.

Clip is similar to Olight lights, and is removable with an included cover to hide the attachment area.

TD15015.jpg

TD15003.jpg

The TD-15 features the latest emitter (XP-G R5). The reflector is basically smooth, with a very light "feathering" effect, as shown above. Reflector seems a touch smaller than the 4Sevens G5, but is otherwise comparable looking.

Which brings us to the requisite white wall hunting ;). All lights are on Hi on AW protected 18650, about ~0.75 meter from a white wall (with the camera ~1.25 meters back from the wall). Automatic white balance on the camera, to minimize tint differences.

TD15-Beam001.jpg
G5ship-Beam001.jpg

TD15-Beam001.jpg
X60-Beam001.jpg

TD15-Beam002.jpg
G5ship-Beam002.jpg

TD15-Beam002.jpg
X60-Beam002.jpg

TD15-Beam003.jpg
G5ship-Beam003.jpg

TD15-Beam003.jpg
X60-Beam003.jpg

TD15-Beam004.jpg
G5ship-Beam004.jpg

TD15-Beam004.jpg
X60-Beam004.jpg

From now on, all my beamshots will be taken in this standard configuration, to facilitate comparisons.

Note that I accidentally left my TD-15 on Hi, not Turbo for these shots. :ohgeez: Turbo would be even brighter - scroll down to the runtimes for an output comparison.

As you can see, even on Hi and not Turbo, the TD-15 has a lot of output and excellent throw. My sample has only mild evidence of the center-void darkspot common to XP-G lights with smooth reflectors (your experience may vary, however).

I will update this review once I get my 100-yard beamshots done. :whistle:

User Interface

Turn the light on by pressing the tailcap clicky (press for momentary on, click for locked on),

Basic operation is controlled by loosen-tighten twisting of the head, just like the Olight M20 and related lights. In normal mode, this moves you through Lo > Med > Hi in repeating sequence.

There is a "Tactical mode" that you access by doing a loosen-tighten twist twice in under 0.5 secs. You now have available two modes, Turbo > Strobe, accessed in repeating sequence. Do the double loosen-tighten again to switch back to Normal mode.

Light has a memory mode, and retains the last setting used.

PWM and Strobe

Light has no evidence of PWM on any mode, leading me to believe it is current-controlled. :twothumbs:

TD15-Strobe.gif

Strobe is 9.8 Hz.

Testing Method:

All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's flashlightreviews.com method. You can directly compare all my relative output values from different reviews - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another. All runtimes are done under a cooling fan, except for any extended run Lo/Min modes (i.e. >12 hours) which are done without cooling.

I have recently devised a method for converting my lightbox relative output values (ROV) to estimated Lumens. See my How to convert Selfbuilt's Lighbox values to Lumens thread for more info.

Throw/Output Summary Chart:

Effective November 2010, I have revised my summary tables to match with the current ANSI FL-1 standard for flashlight testing. Please see http://www.sliderule.ca/FL1.htm for a description of the terms used in these tables.

18650-FL1-Summary1-2.gif

18650-FL1-Summary2-2.gif

18650-FL1-Summary3-2.gif

Output/Runtime Comparison:

Effective January 2010, all CR123A runtimes are now performed on Titanium Innovations batteries. You can compare the performance of these CR123A cells relative to the Duracell/Surefire cells used in my earlier reviews here. These new light results are marked by an "*" in the graph legend

18650-HiRuntime.gif

18650-MedHiRuntime.gif

2xRCR-HiRuntime.gif

2xCR123A-HiRuntime.gif

Note I've included the 3xRCR and 2x18650 runtimes on the 2xRCR runtime graph. The 3xCR123A runtime was added to the 2xCR123A graph.

Potential Issues

Light lacks a true Lo mode, with the lowest output closer to most lights' Med mode.

The tailcap stainless steel ring can easily loosen with time.

All XP-G lights with smooth emitters can show a relatively dark center to the hotspot, although I did not notice much of one of my sample.

Given how heavily-driven the light is on max, good heatsinking and heat dissipation are critical for long-term emitter stability. Not having disassembled the light, it is hard to know how well the TD-15 will do in the long-term under high output conditions.

Preliminary Observations

This light was quite a surprise! Everything about this it just screams "Olight" – right down to the bundled accessories. As near as I can tell, the quality of this light is indistinguishable from the high-end offerings Olight sells under their own name.

I don't know what the exact relationship is, but I would be very surprised if Olight were not involved with making these for Lumintop. I would point out that there is precedent for this - Olight is also the OEM supplier to two other well-known brands here on CPF. :whistle:

I suppose it would be fair to say that the TD-15 is something of a cross between the 4Sevens Maelstrom G5 and the Olight M20-R5. However, that doesn't really do it justice - the max output and throw of the TD-15 actually exceeds my G5 sample by a noticeable margin. :drool: And the while the overall build and interface seem very Olight-like, the TD-15 has better knurling and a more rakish-looking design than the standard Olight.

Except for the higher peak performance of the TD-15, the overall efficiency is spot on with Olight's current-controlled circuitry. :thumbsup: The one potential drawback is the TD-15 lacks a true Lo mode – the lowest output is really closer to most lights Med mode. Rather than Lo – Med – Hi – Turbo, I would consider the TD-15 to be Med – Hi –Turbo – Extreme Turbo. :laughing:

Some may also object to "Turbo" being on the same mode with Strobe, and not with the other 3 constant output modes (i.e. somewhat like the original 4Sevens G5 interface, which was revised on later versions). But in this case, Hi is so similar to Turbo that I cannot easily notice the difference. As the 18650 runtime graph shows, the Hi mode is basically a slightly regulated version of Turbo.

And here's a real kicker – Lumintop top also sells battery extenders for the light. Thanks to the wide voltage range (up to 14V), the TD-15 can easily run 3xLi-ion 3.7V (i.e. 3xRCR) or 3xCR123A for extra runtime. You can also run 2x18500 with one extender, or 2x18650 with two extenders. This versatility is very impressive. :twothumbs

Those looking for an efficient XP-G thrower with extreme output, great throw, and top-notch build quality will definitely want to consider this light. I don't know what Lumintop's long-term plans are, but this level of quality and performance is simply astounding at this price point.

----

TD-15 provided by Lumintop for review.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by selfbuilt on 11-13-2010 08:30 AM GMT

4sevens said:
selfbuilt - regarding the unexplained drop in output between your current and past testing - have you considered the gradual shift in your li-ion's internal resistance?
Thanks for the comments David. Thanks for the comments David.

In many ways, I find batteries to be the weakest link in all my testing. Having gone through a lot rechargeable cells over the years, I know this is the one thing that is hardest to control for (i.e. effect of repeated charge/discharge cycles, as you noted). Also apparent capacity - I have a testbed in which I compare all the new cells, and only use the "average" performers for my runtime tests, but it does require a lot of frequent retesting (and can be variable, depending on drive levels).

In this case, I retested with a relatively new cell for the FL-1 standard lux measures (which is why the G5 went up from 12,125 to 12,725 at ~45 secs). Not a huge difference, but it does underscore the issue of repeated testing on batteries. But as for the output/runtime traces, the TD-15 used the same battery that had gone into the G5 a couple of months ago (so if anything, would have been at a relative disadvantage on the TD-15).

ergotelis said:
Just to add, that i don't imply anything bad about your reviews,
No offense taken - quite the opposite, in fact. I appreciate the opportunity to explain the methodology in greater detail. No offense taken - quite the opposite, in fact. I appreciate the opportunity to explain the methodology in greater detail.

The problem with light testing is there are a lot of variables at play, many of which are hard to control for. But I think it's important that methodological issues (and limitations) get a full hearing, so people can decide for themselves how much weight to place on various factors.

A reviewer who doesn't explain how he tests things is invaliding his own reviews. As with everyone, I'm still struggling with how best to fairly compare and report differences between lights. I enjoy the opportunity to discuss it, which doesn't happen often in the actual reviews themselves. :)

DM51 said:
those shots looking into the reflector are superb, showing off the high quality of this light.

Great review, and BTW it's nice to see you are now including ANSI standards in your tables.
I didn't really get into it in the I didn't really get into it in the review, but the reflector texturing is interesting. Despite the strange "ringiness" of the shots, I find my own reflection in the TD-15 reflector is "sharper" looking than most regular smooth reflectors. It's hard to explain, but this reflector is definitely a bit different.

As for the ANSI FL-1 testing, I figured now was a good time to start changing the way I test and report (i.e. coincides with my recent move, and setting up new testing arrangements in my house). I'm also happy to see 4Sevens and Fenix moving to the ANSI standard :thumbsup: - I hope more manufacturers do so. It should facilitate the ability to compare lights (and reviews ;)).

eala said:
Very interesting review. I look forward to the outdoor beamshot comparisons. :grin2:
Coming soon - hope to have them up by the end of the month. I'll update this thread when they are ready. Coming soon - hope to have them up by the end of the month. I'll update this thread when they are ready.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by recDNA on 11-13-2010 03:22 PM GMT

64 bucks with Olight quality? You've got to be kidding! I have absolutely no need for this light but I'm going to buy one anyway. Thanks for nuthin!
Written by phantom23 on 11-13-2010 06:28 PM GMT

Not kidding:
tactical_hid said:
Lumintop is running a 30% off special for the next couple of months.
Written by jh333233 on 11-13-2010 11:06 PM GMT

R5 Thrower w/ 420lm output is impressive!

But the heat sink fins seems too small, could it provide enough heatsink?

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by selfbuilt on 11-14-2010 09:09 AM GMT

recDNA said:
64 bucks with Olight quality? You've got to be kidding! I have absolutely no need for this light but I'm going to buy one anyway. Thanks for nuthin!
Yeah, I don't usually comment on price, but it is definitely surprisingly low in this case. I guess Yeah, I don't usually comment on price, but it is definitely surprisingly low in this case. I guess Lumintop is trying to generate some buzz with that introductory price (common enough with new makers).

I can't see this type of pricing being maintained in the long term - either the price will go up, or quality will go down. It also raises the question of what type of customer service you can expect - margins must be extremely tight (if not at a loss, at these levels).

jh333233 said:
R5 Thrower w/ 420lm output is impressive!

But the heat sink fins seems too small, could it provide enough heatsink?
A very good point - this light is driven very hard. It's hard to know how well it will withstand continued use (although no problems in my testing so far). I've added that point to the "potential issues" section of the A very good point - this light is driven very hard. It's hard to know how well it will withstand continued use (although no problems in my testing so far). I've added that point to the "potential issues" section of the review. Although the same issue applies to all flashlights, this is one area where I would tend to be more confident with the 4Sevens G5 (i.e. I know David knows what he is doing when it comes to these issues).

Also, I would treat that advertised lumen spec with skepticism ("emitter lumens"?). My OTF lumen estimation would be ~345 lumens at ignition, and dropping from there.

FYI, I've removed the FL-1 logos from my tables (as one person pointed out, they are presumably copyrighted). But the methodology remains the same - I will continue to report output at 3 mins runtime, and throw/distance at 30-60secs from now on.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by Swedpat on 11-14-2010 11:09 AM GMT

Thanks Seilfbuilt for another greatreview!

I am looking forward to read how this Lumintop compares to Fenix TK15, hope you will make a review of it!
Written by GoodBeamHunter on 11-14-2010 05:25 PM GMT

Hi selfbuilt,

Thanks for your review. I was interested in this flashlight, now I'm even more. I think I should hide my wallet... :grin2:

Since I'm a newbie about flashlights, I have some doubts even after reading your review:

• The med mode is rated at 150 lumens. Based on your knowledge, Is this number accurate? Is it noticeable brighter, for example, than a Fenix LD20 R4 on high mode (105 lumens)?
  • About the tint, your beamshots suggests (at least for my eyes) some traces of greenish only around the hotspot. In general, is the tint greenish like, for exemple, quark AA2 R5 (my quark is very greenish)?
Thank you for any help you can provide. And sorry for my poor English.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by selfbuilt on 11-14-2010 08:31 PM GMT

GoodBeamHunter said:
The med mode is rated at 150 lumens. Based on your knowledge, Is this number accurate? Is it noticeable brighter, for example, than a Fenix LD20 R4 on high mode (105 lumens)?
I'd say the I'd say the Lumintop lumen estimate is pretty good (as are the Fenix estimates).

If you compare my output/runtimes to my Fenix LD20 R4 review, you'll see the TD-15's Med mode is somewhere in-between the LD20-R4's Hi and Turbo modes. Don't know how noticeable you would find that difference, but it is there by eye.

About the tint, your beamshots suggests (at least for my eyes) some traces of greenish only around the hotspot. In general, is the tint greenish like, for exemple, quark AA2 R5 (my quark is very greenish)?
Tint is highly variable, and hard to compare (also very subjective). Simply put, I am not aware of any overtly strong tint to my one Tint is highly variable, and hard to compare (also very subjective). Simply put, I am not aware of any overtly strong tint to my one TD-15 sample.

But I fully expect this would be as variable as any other R5 (i.e I have no evidence of specific tint bins being used by this maker).

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by jh333233 on 11-15-2010 04:52 AM GMT

Overheating to LED may not be seen obivously but the phosphorous powder will decay faster under high temperature and the semiconductor could NOT work under high temp. too

Or the majority use of the light is thrower w/ medium driven?

I think the manufacter should modify the heat sinking system for insurance
Written by frosty on 11-15-2010 05:23 AM GMT

Thanks for another greatreview.
Written by GoodBeamHunter on 11-15-2010 03:23 PM GMT

selfbuilt said:
I'd say the Lumintop lumen estimate is pretty good (as are the Fenix estimates).

If you compare my output/runtimes to my Fenix LD20 R4 review, you'll see the TD-15's Med mode is somewhere in-between the LD20-R4's Hi and Turbo modes. Don't know how noticeable you would find that difference, but it is there by eye.
Thanks for your reply selfbuilt. Thanks for your reply selfbuilt. :thumbsup:

If I like the Fenix LD20's Hi mode (it's a good amount of light, even for some outdoor tasks, for approximately 4 hours), so I'll like even more the TD-15's Med mode. Something close to 150 lumens for 4hr50min is perfect for my needs.

By the way, your beamshots shows that TD-15's has a widder spill than other lights in your review. So, this flashlight, despite it was designed for throw, is usable for close/medium range tasks, correct?
Written by JanCPF on 11-15-2010 04:02 PM GMT

Nicereview as usual selfbuilt - thanks! Does it have a donut hole or darker center spot?
Written by fatheadhill on 11-15-2010 05:20 PM GMT

Man this one is really tempting me!

Thanks for the review and lookin' forward to seeing some outdoor beamshots!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by selfbuilt on 11-16-2010 07:15 AM GMT

GoodBeamHunter said:
By the way, your beamshots shows that TD-15's has a widder spill than other lights in your review. So, this flashlight, despite it was designed for throw, is usable for close/medium range tasks, correct?
I wouldn't grab it as my first choice for close-range tasks, but it works as well as the others I wouldn't grab it as my first choice for close-range tasks, but it works as well as the others XP-G "throwers". The spill difference isn't that great really.

JanCPF said:
Nice review as usual selfbuilt - thanks! Does it have a donut hole or darker center spot?
All All XP-G lights with smooth reflectors tend to show some degree of it - and the TD-15 is no exception. But it is certainly no worse than my 4Sevens G5 samples. My Eagletac T20C2-II R5 SMO was the only case where I found the dark center distracting (which is why I much prefer the R5 OP module in that light - which also gives a great corona around the hotspot).

When it comes to a highly focused reflector (like the TD-15, X60, G5, etc.), you have to expect to see some evidence of of the dark centre. But as always, YMMV ...

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by iocheretyanny on 11-16-2010 12:26 PM GMT

Seems like this light is driven hard. Does it get too hot if on for long time?

Is the LED overdriven on MAX?
Written by selfbuilt on 11-16-2010 03:02 PM GMT

According the According the Cree XP-G datasheet, the max rated forward current is 1.5A. Of course, Af is determined by Vf (and affected by junction temperature) - none of which I can directly measure.

But according to specs, lumen output at 1.5A is estimated to be ~330% of that at 350mA (i.e. 139 lumens). So that would give you just under ~460 estimated emitter lumens at 1.5A. My estimate for peak OTF lumens is ~340 lumens, or ~75% of estimated emitter lumens at max. Seems a bit optimistic given the inherent losses to be expected in any flashlight, but necessarily overly-so.

At the end of the day, it's really hard to say how "over-driven" it might be without direct measurement. I can't say I've noticed any unusual amounts of heat coming out of the light, compare to others in this class. But I haven't directly measured that either.

I would treat this as a case where you would probably want to limit max output (and maybe even Hi) for short periods of time, if you are concerned about emitter longevity.

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by hivoltage on 11-17-2010 03:04 PM GMT

Hmmm...could be my next light. I was going to get a Fenix TK 15. Would like to hear a comparison of the 2!!!!
Written by gnef on 11-17-2010 03:56 PM GMT

I just received mine. Overall, I am quite pleased with the purchase. Thanks for thereview!
Written by TapouT on 11-17-2010 05:28 PM GMT

hivoltage said:
Hmmm...could be my next light. I was going to get a Fenix TK 15. Would like to hear a comparison of the 2!!!!
I was considering the Fenix TK15 too, but just ordered the I was considering the Fenix TK15 too, but just ordered the Lumintop TD15 today. It will be my first "real" light considering my brightest is a SacredFire cheapo.
Written by Neo9710 on 11-17-2010 09:25 PM GMT

Think it will take being mounted to a rifle?!? And also waiting for beamshots!
Written by jake25 on 11-17-2010 09:46 PM GMT

Neo: I'm in the process of torturing the TD15 on an AR15 :devil:
Written by JonnyC on 11-18-2010 07:51 AM GMT

jake25 said:
Excellent, because I plan on doing the same Excellent, because I plan on doing the same :xyxgun:
Written by JonnyC on 11-18-2010 11:35 PM GMT

Selfbuilt, please let me know if this should be posted elsewhere, but I received my TD15 today and have a few comments.

I'm new to this whole flashlight thing, but I bought this light to mount on my AR-15 to be used as a thrower considering I want to add a 1-4x scope (my shotgun will get more of a spill light). First comment on the light is that it's beautiful. Solid, great finish, very smooth reflector, great beam with an excellent hot spot (although I haven't taken it outside yet) - just overall it screams quality. However, as a tactical light I have two big issues with it:

1. In tactical mode, you tighten the head to get max, and slightly losen to get strobe. While strobe probably will never be used in a real life situation, it's good to have. But the head threads onto the body maybe 5mm. When you even very slightly losen the head, the head is rather wobbly on the body. This makes it impractical for a tactical light as I wouldn't trust that the head wouldn't unthread during firing.

2. A much worse problem is that while on max or high, if you drop the light on it's tail onto carpet from even 6 inches or so, the shock will cause my AW 18650 battery to disconnect from the connection on the head (the only spring is on the cap) causing the light to switch to low. I haven't tested it with the remote tape switch, but I don't imagine it would be much better.

So, so far in my few minutes of playing with it, it seems like a great light, just not a light that you can truly count on for tactical purposes. This has me debating on a Nailbender drop-in and Solarforce host for my AR, or a 4sevens Maelstrom G5.

- Jon
Written by JonnyC on 11-19-2010 09:02 AM GMT

Daniel from Flashlightsngear.com (who I ordered through and received great service) replied to me by email:

I had one mounted to my Sig Saur 556 last night and me and a buddy went through 80 rounds of 223 ammo with no problems at all. My Sig has little to no recoil so that may not be the test people are looking for as Jake mentioned Torturing one lol. I will truely TORTURE MY TD15 tonight on my Remington 870 SuperMag using a Full Choke and 3 inch Magnum Shells and try to get it on video for CPF members to see. I actually think this light will be fine in a tactical situation. The head feels the same on every TD15 I have tested (before shipping). It would take alot of shooting to loosen it to were the light would not function correctly.
Written by ergotelis on 11-19-2010 09:26 AM GMT

It is true, i was expecting the flashlight head to be more stable while in strobe mode
Written by hivoltage on 11-19-2010 11:04 AM GMT

Does this light also have some decent spill? Or is it all throw. This will be the deciding factor. I already have a DBS which is all throw. Thanks.
Written by jake25 on 11-19-2010 11:32 AM GMT

It has a good amount of sidespill while still being a decentthrower :thumbsup:
Written by ergotelis on 11-19-2010 01:57 PM GMT

Well the flashlight is excellent all the way except the fact that when you loosen the head to get the strobe mode, it is not as tight as it ought to be.

Otherwise, go and get it, is very beautiful, you won't buy anything better for this price!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by selfbuilt on 11-19-2010 02:32 PM GMT

JonnyC said:
While strobe probably will never be used in a real life situation, it's good to have. But the head threads onto the body maybe 5mm. When you even very slightly losen the head, the head is rather wobbly on the body. This makes it impractical for a tactical light as I wouldn't trust that the head wouldn't unthread during firing.
Yes, that's a good point - the head does feel "wobbly" when loosened (i.e. in strobe mode). Hadn't thought to mention that before, since I never really use strobe. Yes, that's a good point - the head does feel "wobbly" when loosened (i.e. in strobe mode). Hadn't thought to mention that before, since I never really use strobe.

A much worse problem is that while on max or high, if you drop the light on it's tail onto carpet from even 6 inches or so, the shock will cause my AW 18650 battery to disconnect from the connection on the head (the only spring is on the cap) causing the light to switch to low. I haven't tested it with the remote tape switch, but I don't imagine it would be much better.
Thanks again for the observation. This is a common problem for a lot of lights. IMO, unless a light is specifically designed and rated for weapon use (e.g. dual-mounted springs, etc.), you are taking a risk that something like the above will occur. Thanks again for the observation. This is a common problem for a lot of lights. IMO, unless a light is specifically designed and rated for weapon use (e.g. dual-mounted springs, etc.), you are taking a risk that something like the above will occur.

Thanks for sharing your experiences - always good to see in these threads. :)

Written by JonnyC on 11-19-2010 02:58 PM GMT

selfbuilt said:
Thanks again for the observation. This is a common problem for a lot of lights. IMO, unless a light is specifically designed and rated for weapon use (e.g. dual-mounted springs, etc.), you are taking a risk that something like the above will occur.
Does the Maelstrom G5 have this issue? Even if it did, you probably wouldn't notice it, because it wouldn't switch modes. As for why the TD15 switches back to low when this happens confuses me, and simply seems like a design flaw. Does the Maelstrom G5 have this issue? Even if it did, you probably wouldn't notice it, because it wouldn't switch modes. As for why the TD15 switches back to low when this happens confuses me, and simply seems like a design flaw.

Written by hivoltage on 11-19-2010 03:43 PM GMT

I ordered one....Nice price on this light. Been a while since I have ordered a new light!!!

Written by TapouT on 11-19-2010 07:07 PM GMT

Is it only loose/wobbly in strobe mode? does that include tactical mode completely (max output and strobe both?). If so is there anyway this can be fixed (have no idea, like some thread tape on the head threads, or are you not actually turning threads on it). dont have mine yet so I dont know.

why does the battery disconnect from the head? Is it that loose in there?

Written by gnef on 11-19-2010 08:02 PM GMT

If you know you are going to use strobe, what you can do, is to turn on the light, turn it to strobe, turn off the light, then tighten the head, turn it back on, and it should still be on strobe. This will keep the head on tight, and you will have your strobe.

I noticed that with the electronics, it memorizes the last mode, regardless of what you change while the light is off.

To get it back to max, all you need to do is loosen the head, and tighten it back, and it will go back to 'normal' operation.

Written by JonnyC on 11-20-2010 12:39 AM GMT

Yes, it is loose only in strobe mode. The TD15 really has only 3 threads on the head end of the body, and they are rather large threads. The G5 looks to have 4 threads (although I thought there would be more considering you have to turn it almost a full turn to access all modes, I think).

Good suggestion about being able to keep the head tightened and have strobe, but that's not very practical. I should have thought this through more before making the purchase. Because I was going to use a remote tape switch which is momentary, it would require two hands to switch between max and strobe, since the light has to be on to switch modes. I can obviously still use it as a single mode light, but I feel it would be a waste, and not as reliable as a true single mode light (no chance of switching modes on me). I think I might post a WTS thread once I have enough posts to be able to do so ;)

Written by TapouT on 11-20-2010 03:49 AM GMT

So with a tape switch can you run it on max (in tactical mode- 420 lumen), just not strobe without using two hands? My brother was considering getting one too after we test mine once it gets here but I doubt it now.

Written by JonnyC on 11-20-2010 08:28 AM GMT

TapouT said:
So with a tape switch can you run it on max (in tactical mode- 420 lumen), just not strobe without using two hands? My brother was considering getting one too after we test mine once it gets here but I doubt it now.
Correct Correct :(

Written by TapouT on 11-20-2010 04:20 PM GMT

Got mine today! The site for Lumintop says "Anti-reverse protection circuit", but the manual with the light says**Caution: Reverse polarity of battery may damage the circuit. in bold letters. So which is it?

The o-rings need lubed a little cause when taking the cap off, the last o-ring starts to stretch out getting pulled by the cap.

I assume its ok/best to use a silicone based o-ring lube on these o-rings? Ive seen o-rings messed up with some lubes out there before- I use Jacks Formula 327 multilube on the o-ring for the strainer lid in front of our pool pump; its silicone based I think, best I have for these o-ring right now.

Haven't messed with it much yet, but nice light so far. Turning the light on- set to strobe, turn off, tighten then turn back on in strobe does work.

I honestly never had any use with strobe on a light myself, I would rather simply have 3 modes (low-med-HI/420 lumen) and leave out tactical mode and strobe.

Written by jake25 on 11-20-2010 10:19 PM GMT

I think it's more a safety precaution to avoid any reverse polarity incidents to begin with. Kinda like if you get in a car crash there's airbags to save you...but don't try to get in a car accident on purpose lol

Written by jh333233 on 11-20-2010 10:38 PM GMT

TapouT said:
Got mine today! The site for Lumintop says "Anti-reverse protection circuit", but the manual with the light says **Caution: Reverse polarity of battery may damage the circuit. in bold letters. So which is it?

The o-rings need lubed a little cause when taking the cap off, the last o-ring starts to stretch out getting pulled by the cap.

I assume its ok/best to use a silicone based o-ring lube on these o-rings? Ive seen o-rings messed up with some lubes out there before- I use Jacks Formula 327 multilube on the o-ring for the strainer lid in front of our pool pump; its silicone based I think, best I have for these o-ring right now.

Haven't messed with it much yet, but nice light so far. Turning the light on- set to strobe, turn off, tighten then turn back on in strobe does work.

I honestly never had any use with strobe on a light myself, I would rather simply have 3 modes (low-med-HI/420 lumen) and leave out tactical mode and strobe.

Caution: Reverse polarity of battery may damage the circuit

Maybe it means: It will damage the protective circuit and then cut the current which can protect your led die from burning.

Written by njet212 on 11-22-2010 09:16 PM GMT

Selfbuilt, could you measure current at High mode for Maelstrom G5 and Lumintop TD.15

These two light using same XPG R5 emitter and I was wondering why the TD.15 is much more brighter compared with G5, i'm just thinking if Lumintop is overdriven the XPG R5 on TD.15

Written by Theknifereviewer on 11-22-2010 09:29 PM GMT

Great review Man Keep up the good work

Written by gnef on 11-23-2010 04:53 AM GMT

post #23

Written by selfbuilt on 11-23-2010 09:19 PM GMT

njet212 said:
Selfbuilt, could you measure current at High mode for Maelstrom G5 and Lumintop TD.15
gnef said:
Yup, easy to miss, but here's the relevant bit from my post #23: Yup, easy to miss, but here's the relevant bit from my post #23:
selfbuilt said:
Just measured it, and I get on my TD-15 on Turbo between 1.40-1.44 A at ignition on the fresh-off-the-charger cell (it doesn't stay stable, but jumps around in that range over the first 15 secs or so).

The shipping G5, using a similar hot-off-the-charger cell, reads between 1.08-1.12 A over the same time period.

It thus seems the TD-15 is more heavily driven initially.

Written by icehunter on 11-24-2010 06:59 AM GMT

What is the purpose of having 2x18650 with 2 battery extenders over just having an extra battery in your pocket?

Do you get more output?

Written by gnef on 11-24-2010 07:37 AM GMT

Runtime without having to replace batteries.

Written by JanCPF on 11-24-2010 07:55 AM GMT

gnef said:
Runtime without having to replace batteries.

And flat regulation AFAIK

Written by Neo9710 on 11-24-2010 07:41 PM GMT

jake25 said:
JonnyC said:
Excellent, because I plan on doing the same :xyxgun:
JonnyC said:
Daniel from Flashlightsngear.com (who I ordered through and received great service) replied to me by email:

How did the torture test go?!?!

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by TapouT on 11-24-2010 10:14 PM GMT

prisma said:
One question: Will 2x18500 fit with the extender for 3x123?
No, you need 2 extenders I believe in order to use 2 of the 18650 batteries in the light. No, you need 2 extenders I believe in order to use 2 of the 18650 batteries in the light.

Written by buck650 on 11-25-2010 08:36 AM GMT

Excellent. But i can't read any info about this company :confused:

Does it have website?

Written by TapouT on 11-25-2010 09:00 AM GMT

buck650 said:
Excellent. But i can't read any info about this company :confused:

Does it have website?
Lumintop website? Just Lumintop.com Lumintop website? Just Lumintop.com

Written by marcbr on 11-28-2010 08:04 AM GMT

waiting for the outdoor beamshots, and the review by goinggear. I live in brazil, and shipping + tax are killing me. My last buy didn't arrived yet (paid $20 priority mail, and three weeks have passed), but i can't stop buying flashlights.

Written by VF1Jskull1 on 11-29-2010 10:11 AM GMT

pulled the trigger and lightened my already light wallet by several more andrew jacksons... will be giving it to my father for christmas.

Written by selfbuilt on 11-30-2010 08:40 PM GMT

I have just updated the review my100-Yard Outdoor Beamshot thread with pics of the TD-15, directly compared to the Ray Tactical X60 and 4Sevens Maelstrom G5. Check out that thread for more info, but here is an animated GIF showing the relevant comparisons.

TD15-X60-G5.gif

Written by SCEMan on 11-30-2010 09:22 PM GMT

Very nicely done. The X60 is the tightest of the three. Kinda hard to compare the TD-15 and G5 as the G5's beam is aimed higher.

Written by ArmyMedicDad on 11-30-2010 11:41 PM GMT

selfbuilt,

Thanks for the beamshot comparisons.

Once I get mine in the mail, the only true comparison I will be able to make is with my Solarforce Skyline I.

Written by herosemblem on 11-30-2010 11:57 PM GMT

ArmyMedicDad said:
selfbuilt,

Thanks for the beamshot comparisons.

Once I get mine in the mail, the only true comparison I will be able to make is with my Solarforce Skyline I.
+1; thanks SelfBuilt. My TD15 is in the mail as well. I +1; thanks SelfBuilt. My TD15 is in the mail as well. I also just received my Skyline I today. The Skyline I throws far, but the spot is so tight it is nearly unusable at the distances it throws. Still remains that my LX2 is my most usable flashlight for every reason in the book, especially most usable beam quality, user interface, easily pocketable. My Olight M20S is a close second (same beam illumination but less pocketable size).

If the beam capabilities and usability of this TD15 turn out to be better than the LX2, then that will make it worth the slightly larger size of the TD15. Then I suppose things will be even, then... :)

Anyway, thanks for putting in the time!

Written by ArmyMedicDad on 12-02-2010 12:40 PM GMT

Mail just arrived - now I am trying to find the darkest room to test my new toy. Will have to take the dog out for a late-night walk tonight - just like I did when the Skyline I came in the mail.

Written by herosemblem on 12-02-2010 01:03 PM GMT

My TD15 is also "out for delivery" today. Can't wait to receive it and compare it against my LX2, M20S, Skyline I...

Written by entoptics on 12-02-2010 05:40 PM GMT

Had mine for two days now. I'll throw in my 2 cents with a little mini-review.

Major Cons
1) Mode switching is terrible. low-med-hi works OK, but switching between normal and tactical has to be crazy quick, and usually requires several tries (which means multiple self-strobings).

2) With head in the "loose" position, there is considerable play in the threads. This isn't a big deal EXCEPT...
  • It can switch modes from wiggling if it's just barely loosened. If you loosen it an eighth turn or more, the head will wiggle, but won't cause mode switching.
  • One handed mode switching can be problematic because the small range of motion you apply means you are often at that "barely loose" point and sometimes it will switch from wiggling. This results in mode skipping, and in some cases a transition from normal mode to tactical mode.
Moderate Cons (personal preferences?)
1) I don't care for the UI. It's got all the disadvantages of a Twisty (iTP A3, Quark Mini, etc). Granted you do have momentary on capability and mode memory. I think the light would be much better with an EagleTac or Quark UI.

2) The tail cap is very long, and thus the pocket clip is not deep enough and positioned near the middle of the light.

3) Tail standing is not very stable, but usable. With a different tail bezel design, they still could have usable striking crenulations but better stability.

4) Noticeable hole in the center of the spot. Not too bad in use, but obvious.

Major Pros
1) Friggin bright. Good tint. Lovely smooth beam (aside from donut hole in the hotspot). Usable spill. Awesome throw. This is EASILY a 100 meter light. I was able to identify a buddy by his clothing and posture at 50 yds last night, even with a fair amount of ambient street light.

2) Extenders allow use of 2x18500, 2x18650 (with two), so you get flat regulation at max and high settings and great runtimes. With two extenders the light is about the length of a 2D maglite, but slim and comfortable to hold. With one extender, it's very MiniMag like in the hand.

3) 2x14500 FTW! With one extender and a battery sleeve from an EagleTac T20C2 (the one that was stolen from me :mad:) it runs flawlessly. The sleeve is just long enough to completely hold one 14500 and stabilize the first 1/3 of the second. Spring contact is enough to do the rest.

4) Good switch feel. Long travel for easy momentary signaling without clicking on, good feel, and a nice positive click when activated. Not to stiff, not to soft.

Even without the battery sleeve, it will work fine, but there's a considerable amount of wiggle and I wouldn't be confident the batteries would maintain contact during rough use. With the sleeve, I've shaken the crap out of it and it rattles a little, but not much at all.

Summary

Die hard tactical duty light? Not IMHO. The flakey UI and head play are not confidence inspiring. Otherwise, the build quality and feel are excellent. If Lumintop would fix this issue on the next production wave, they have a real winner.

I think this light excels for certain uses though. It will make an absolutely fantastic camping/hunting light, and would make a great single mode weapon light (head tight all the time). The spot is tight and bright, and would make a great aiming device for a shotty.

The optional extenders and the ability to accept 18650, 18500, 123 primaries, 14500, and 123 sized rechargeables, makes it a VERY versatile light in the hands of a flashahaulic who runs Li-ion batteries. I made a battery sleeve that fits 14500 correctly, and even 2 Eneloops will light up the light in low and medium modes.

I paid just under $75 for the light and 2 extenders, so value is OUTSTANDING right now. When the price finally goes up, I'm not so sure I would choose this light over other similarly priced offerings though. At $85+ there's just too many other outstanding choices for the Lumintop's annoying UI and flakey head wobble to compete I think.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by FLT MEDIC on 12-02-2010 06:17 PM GMT

Thanks to selfbuilt and entoptics for the nice reviews. :)

Written by ArmyMedicDad on 12-02-2010 08:03 PM GMT

entoptics said:
Had mine for two days now. I'll throw in my 2 cents with a little mini-review.

Major Cons
1) Mode switching is terrible. low-med-hi works OK, but switching between normal and tactical has to be crazy quick, and usually requires several tries (which means multiple self-strobings).

2) With head in the "loose" position, there is considerable play in the threads.

4) Noticeable hole in the center of the spot. Not too bad in use, but obvious.
You may want to send yours back. I've been testing mine today and I detect virtually zero play in the threads when switching modes nor do I see any noticeable hole in the center of the spot. You may want to send yours back. I've been testing mine today and I detect virtually zero play in the threads when switching modes nor do I see any noticeable hole in the center of the spot.

And I've got pretty severe neuropathy in both hands (due to diabetes), and I can easily change back and forth between modes, and I was able to do this right off the bat.

But the clip does suck. It is virtually impossible to clip this light onto your belt one-handed (at least for me).

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by herosemblem on 12-02-2010 08:39 PM GMT

I never understood what people were talking about when they say that certain lights have a black hole in the center of the spot, and I believe this has been mentioned for this light as well.

Well, I finally found that black hole! You have to turn the light on, about 2.5'' away from a white wall :D.

Written by ArmyMedicDad on 12-02-2010 08:55 PM GMT

herosemblem said:
I never understood what people were talking about when they say that certain lights have a black hole in the center of the spot, and I believe this has been mentioned for this light as well.

Well, I finally found that black hole! You have to turn the light on, about 2.5'' away from a white wall :D.
But why would anyone want or have a need to shine any light only 2.5" away from a wall? If one looks hard enough, you can find some kind of flaw in every single flashlight made. But why would anyone want or have a need to shine any light only 2.5" away from a wall? If one looks hard enough, you can find some kind of flaw in every single flashlight made.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by herosemblem on 12-02-2010 10:03 PM GMT

Which is precisely my point-- that the claim that certain flashlights have a black hole in the middle...is a moot point.

I adore my TD15, and the fact that there is a tiny black hole in the center of my hotspot at 2.5'' away from a white wall means nothing to me, and I know you concur.

That being said, maybe the "noticeable hole" in the hotspot appears at some other distance? I haven't found that hole yet.

Written by entoptics on 12-02-2010 10:37 PM GMT

herosemblem said:
Which is precisely my point-- that the claim that certain flashlights have a black hole in the middle...is a moot point.

I adore my TD15, and the fact that there is a tiny black hole in the center of my hotspot at 2.5'' away from a white wall means nothing to me, and I know you concur.

That being said, maybe the "noticeable hole" in the hotspot appears at some other distance? I haven't found that hole yet.
Black hole is a gross overstatement. Black hole is a gross overstatement.

There is a "thin" ring of intensely bright light with a corona and center that are less bright. It is obvious on my wooden ceiling and white office wall at a distance of 5-15 feet. It is obvious at long distance when shined on buildings or trees.

It is not a problem for me, but it is there.

I very much like the beam of the TD15 if you are after a thrower with some usable spill. It's lovely, bright, defined, and goes for miles. Light years ahead of my missing :mad: EagleTac T20C2 R2 Warm.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by herosemblem on 12-02-2010 11:41 PM GMT

I think I see what the faint blackness in the middle is. At eleven feet, mine has a pure white tennis-ball-sized circle in the middle. Surrounding that is a 7'' diameter circle of less intense light, which constitutes the "black ring/hole" thing. Then surrounding that is an intense white ring. Same concept applies at varying distances. Thanks for clarifying that, and indeed, fortunately it doesn't seem to be a big deal in real-world usage. So far, this TD15 is tied with my SF LX2 as favorites.

Written by SeVeNzErO on 12-03-2010 12:00 AM GMT

very nice review, informative and decision maker...

Written by entoptics on 12-03-2010 01:05 AM GMT

Here's a couple images showing what I mean. The camera doesn't make it as obvious as it is in the real world, but you should be able to see the intensely bright ring which defines the hotspot, and the dimmer interior and corona. These shots are taken from about 8-10 feet, and the field of view is only about 2 feet (corona and hotspot only).

Lumintop TD15 beam shot

td15.jpg

iTP A6 Polestar beam shot

itpa6.jpg

As you can see, the TD15 has a thin ring of crazy bright, which leads to the impression of a dim center.

The iTP has a smoother, more even hotspot, but has a relatively obvious small dim spot in the middle.

These pictures were not taken with the same settings, but they are identical FOV. The iTP is actually a slower shutter speed, so it's pretty clear the TD15 will out throw the 600 lm Polestar, albeit with a smaller hotspot. Still pretty impressive though.

In any case, the TD15 has a marvelous beam for what it's designed for. With the extender and two Li-ion cells, it's a damn light saber in a smokey room.

:twothumbs

Just wish it had a better UI. :shakehead

Written by selfbuilt on 12-03-2010 06:58 AM GMT

entoptics said:
but switching between normal and tactical has to be crazy quick, and usually requires several tries (which means multiple self-strobings). ...

With head in the "loose" position, there is considerable play in the threads. ...

Die hard tactical duty light? Not IMHO. The flakey UI and head play are not confidence inspiring. Otherwise, the build quality and feel are excellent.
I would agree these assessments - they really are the key issues with the light. But aside from those issues, the quality is excellent. I would agree these assessments - they really are the key issues with the light. But aside from those issues, the quality is excellent.

I paid just under $75 for the light and 2 extenders, so value is OUTSTANDING right now. When the price finally goes up, I'm not so sure I would choose this light over other similarly priced offerings though. At $85+ there's just too many other outstanding choices ...
Yes, the price is really the key determinant here. As it goes up from current levels, there are others to consider (e.g. 4Sevens G5 is continuing to drop in price Yes, the price is really the key determinant here. As it goes up from current levels, there are others to consider (e.g. 4Sevens G5 is continuing to drop in price :whistle:).

entoptics said:
Here's a couple images showing what I mean. The camera doesn't make it as obvious as it is in the real world, but you should be able to see the intensely bright ring which defines the hotspot, and the dimmer interior and corona.
Yes, I know it's hard to capture with a camera. And unfortunately, the effect is quite variable from one light to the next. Yes, I know it's hard to capture with a camera. And unfortunately, the effect is quite variable from one light to the next.

A key point to consider is that ALL long-throwing XP-G-equipped lights - with smooth reflectors - can show this. It is something of the luck-of-the-draw how badly any given one will be affected.

Personally, I don't find these so terrible in practice. Even the more noticeable MC-E-based throw lights aren't a problem for outdoor use (i.e. I still like my JetBeam M1X). And for those who remember it, the old classic Lux V is a real donut maker. ;) But if you figure it may be an issue for you, look into XP-G lights with textured (orange peel) reflectors (e.g Eagletac T20C2-II comes with either type). They won't throw as far, but the beams will be prettier.

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by floridamike on 12-03-2010 02:38 PM GMT

I've been lurking on site for several months now, though this is my first post. I just got my TD15 in the mail, and was initially a little disappointed. I tried to take it out last night, but basically failed at mode switching the light. Consequently it was stuck in one of the lower modes and not nearly as bright as the Fenix LD20 I carry. I didn't even bother using it. I was just about to box it up and send it back when I finally got it switched into Turbo (which will be how I use it primarily)... at least I think its in Turbo. I have to agree that mode switching with this light is horrible. A quick white wall bathroom test is showing that at least the light is outshining the Fenix, but to be honest I haven't gotten outside to really see how bright it is. Further, I'm not sure about everyone else, but even slightly loosening the head causes the light to turn off, as if its lost contact with the batteries. I'm going to try to work it out tonight, but if not I'll chalk this first time up to a lemon and exchange for a new one.

Written by recDNA on 12-03-2010 05:17 PM GMT

If I leave it on highest mode all the time can I make it tight enough so I won't have wobble or accidental strobe? Since I'll use it as a thrower it will essentially be a one mode light for me.

Written by jabe1 on 12-03-2010 05:33 PM GMT

recDNA said:
If I leave it on highest mode all the time can I make it tight enough so I won't have wobble or accidental strobe? Since I'll use it as a thrower it will essentially be a one mode light for me.
Teflon tape the threads perhaps? Or are they conductive? Teflon tape the threads perhaps? Or are they conductive?

Oops, just saw Selfbuilt's excellent pic showing non-anodised threading. Maybe slightly oversized o-rings.

Written by selfbuilt on 12-03-2010 05:37 PM GMT

recDNA said:
If I leave it on highest mode all the time can I make it tight enough so I won't have wobble or accidental strobe?
Yes, you'll be fine. There's no wobble with the head fully tightened. I haven't seen mine loosen to "accidental" strobe." Yes, you'll be fine. There's no wobble with the head fully tightened. I haven't seen mine loosen to "accidental" strobe."

Written by entoptics on 12-03-2010 06:16 PM GMT

recDNA said:
I agree with selfbuilt. My light seems to have no issues about coming loose. I just put 10 rounds of 12 gauge birdshot through my 870 with the light mounted on the end of the barrel and had ZERO issues. Granted that's not a torture test, but it's more abuse than most peoples' lights will experience. I agree with selfbuilt. My light seems to have no issues about coming loose. I just put 10 rounds of 12 gauge birdshot through my 870 with the light mounted on the end of the barrel and had ZERO issues. Granted that's not a torture test, but it's more abuse than most peoples' lights will experience.

I'm not sure if I was clear about my mode switching issues. Aside from the difficulty of switching between "tactical" and "normal" I only experience flakey switching when doing it one handed because the light switches from being pressed or wiggled ONLY WHEN IT'S BARELY LOOSENED. Once it's loosened past about 1/8th turn, it does NOT switch modes from head pressure.

I'm curious if anyone else's light does this. Could folks please do an experiment for me and just barely loosen the head then press the head sideways with your thumb and see if it switches modes when the head is wiggled. Loosen it a quarter turn and see if it still does it.

Written by hivoltage on 12-03-2010 08:02 PM GMT

I just compared, and this thing is brighter than my Dereelight DBS.....impressive!!!!

Written by herosemblem on 12-04-2010 01:15 AM GMT

Entoptics, could you help me a bit in performing your experiment?

I loosened my head a tiny bit and thumped the head= nothing.

Loosened a little more, then thumped the head=nothing happens either.

A little more loosening and thumping= nothing happens.

Loosened even further, then push and thump= nothing.

The whole time, the light just stays on High.

Is there a step I'm missing? Let me know, then I can try it out again :).

Written by SCEMan on 12-04-2010 10:14 AM GMT

hivoltage said:
I just compared, and this thing is brighter than my Dereelight DBS.....impressive!!!!
Wow! Does it throw as far as the DBS? Wow! Does it throw as far as the DBS?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by koolranch on 12-04-2010 10:57 AM GMT

recDNA said:
I also just received this light when the head is tightened all the way it does not wobble. I like the light and I got it before the 30 dollar price jump. The threads and contacts needed to be cleaned and lubed. It actually felt like it had cross threads. After I cleaned everything it seems ok. The mode switching is very hard to do. Over all I think it is a great light for the price. I own the G5 S2 as well and they are very similar. The overall quality of the 4sevens is better. I also just received this light when the head is tightened all the way it does not wobble. I like the light and I got it before the 30 dollar price jump. The threads and contacts needed to be cleaned and lubed. It actually felt like it had cross threads. After I cleaned everything it seems ok. The mode switching is very hard to do. Over all I think it is a great light for the price. I own the G5 S2 as well and they are very similar. The overall quality of the 4sevens is better.

Written by entoptics on 12-04-2010 11:55 AM GMT

herosemblem said:
Entoptics, could you help me a bit in performing your experiment?...Is there a step I'm missing? Let me know, then I can try it out again :).
Sounds like you aren't seeing my problems. With mine, loosening it a millimeter or less will cause it to switch modes if I smack the head against my palm lightly, or hold it like a maglite (head towards thumb) and press the head with my thumb like I was pressing a maglite switch. Sounds like you aren't seeing my problems. With mine, loosening it a millimeter or less will cause it to switch modes if I smack the head against my palm lightly, or hold it like a maglite (head towards thumb) and press the head with my thumb like I was pressing a maglite switch.

Anyone else want to chime in? If this seems like an isolated or rare issue, I may send mine back. As I mentioned, it's not a huge problem for my intended use, but if I should be able to reliably use it one handed and can't, it would be worth returning.

Written by selfbuilt on 12-05-2010 09:33 AM GMT

SCEMan said:
Wow! Does it throw as far as the DBS?
No, but it is still quite impressive for this class. I suspect hivoltage was referring to its overall output, which is a lot higher. From the review: No, but it is still quite impressive for this class. I suspect hivoltage was referring to its overall output, which is a lot higher. From the review:

18650-FL1-Summary1-2.gif

The DBS still out-throws by a noticeable margin (i.e. lux @1m or better yet, beam distance), but the TD-15 is a lot brighter overall (as measured by lightbox est lumens or ceiling bounce).

You can directly compare pics at 100 yards in the latest update to my 100-yard Beamshot Round-up: (click below to open full-sized images)

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/...ff97/selfbuilt/2010/DBSV2-100yards3.jpg[/img]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/...ff97/selfbuilt/2010/TD15-100yards3s.jpg[/img]

Written by SCEMan on 12-05-2010 11:31 AM GMT

selfbuilt said:
No, but it is still quite impressive for this class. I suspect hivoltage was referring to its overall output, which is a lot higher. From the review:

The DBS still out-throws by a noticeable margin (i.e. lux @1m or better yet, beam distance), but the TD-15 is a lot brighter overall (as measured by lightbox est lumens or ceiling bounce).
Thanks for clarifying with beamshots. I assumed a hard-driven XP-G would be brighter than an XR-E, so I wasn't sure if the comment also referred to throw. Thanks for clarifying with beamshots. I assumed a hard-driven XP-G would be brighter than an XR-E, so I wasn't sure if the comment also referred to throw.

Written by FLT MEDIC on 12-05-2010 03:35 PM GMT

entoptics said:
Sounds like you aren't seeing my problems. With mine, loosening it a millimeter or less will cause it to switch modes if I smack the head against my palm lightly, or hold it like a maglite (head towards thumb) and press the head with my thumb like I was pressing a maglite switch.

Anyone else want to chime in? If this seems like an isolated or rare issue, I may send mine back. As I mentioned, it's not a huge problem for my intended use, but if I should be able to reliably use it one handed and can't, it would be worth returning.
Same thing happens with mine but only if I smack the head against my palm. It also happens with my friend's TD15 but we don't need to smack the head to change modes. Same thing happens with mine but only if I smack the head against my palm. It also happens with my friend's TD15 but we don't need to smack the head to change modes.

Just twist the head slowly especially when using one hand only and it will reliably cycle through low, mid and high. Smacking or fast twisting of the head will change it to tactical or back to regular modes.

Make sure the threads and O-rings are lubed to get consistent mode changes when twisting slowly. Good luck!

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Written by brightnorm on 12-06-2010 02:46 PM GMT

I bought an extra TD-15 for my girlfriend. Out of curiosity I put the two extra extensions together onto the body and inserted two 18650's which worked perfectly. The light was still much smaller and lighter than any dedicated 2x18650 light, but of course its relatively small head can't approach the mega-throw associated with bigger lights. Still, the runrime must be exceptional, significantly better than 3xcr123 using a single extender.

jabe1 said:
...Maybe slightly oversized o-rings.
I tried several thicker o-rings hoping for a tighter fit, but the head wouldn't tighten properly. Perhaps, I tried several thicker o-rings hoping for a tighter fit, but the head wouldn't tighten properly. Perhaps, very slightly thicker

o-rings might work.

Brightnorm

Written by Trident1 on 12-10-2010 12:12 AM GMT

Hey - I got one! Not the neutral that I'd want but wow, great light. For the money, hard to beat for the size/throw although haven't had those clo

Written by herosemblem on 12-10-2010 03:20 AM GMT

Question for you guys...

I estimate that 1 out of every 50 actuations of the button fails to turn the light on. As with most intermittent things, it's nearly impossible to replicate, and it's difficult to guess how often, but 1/50 sounds pretty good.

Anyone else experience this?

No my threads aren't dirty, no the tailcap retention ring thing doesn't need to be tightened, no the tailcap contact isn't dirty.

Written by Lobo on 12-10-2010 03:23 AM GMT

Can you still buy this light for the discount price somewhere? Seems like it's sold out everywhere?

Written by crossliner67 on 12-10-2010 04:44 AM GMT

Why settle for 1 when you could have them all? Ahehe. Greetings from the Philippines.
100_2991.jpg

100_2992.jpg

100_2999.jpg

100_3000.jpg

100_2998.jpg

100_2997.jpg

Written by crossliner67 on 12-10-2010 05:38 AM GMT

The reason why I included my Led Lenser M7 in the pic is because it beats the TD15 in throw hands down. I have a Tiablo A9 and uncollimated it gets thrashed by my so-much-bashed Led Lenser. Sorry for the off-topic. Good evening.

Written by Lobo on 12-10-2010 06:30 AM GMT

crossliner67 said:
The reason why I included my Led Lenser M7 in the pic is because it beats the TD15 in throw hands down. I have a Tiablo A9 and uncollimated it gets thrashed by my so-much-bashed Led Lenser. Sorry for the off-topic. Good evening.
Don't think most of the bashing when it comes to led lenser has to do with output, but lack of regulation, water resisctance, deceptive marketing etc. I haven't checked out Led Lenser for a long time, but is the M7 regulated? Cause if not, for how long does it trash the Tiablo A9? And since I have the A9 and am considering to buy the TD-15, how do you feel they compare in throw(aware of the lux numbers and beamshots, but always curious to hear about somebody elses opinion)? Don't think most of the bashing when it comes to led lenser has to do with output, but lack of regulation, water resisctance, deceptive marketing etc. I haven't checked out Led Lenser for a long time, but is the M7 regulated? Cause if not, for how long does it trash the Tiablo A9? And since I have the A9 and am considering to buy the TD-15, how do you feel they compare in throw(aware of the lux numbers and beamshots, but always curious to hear about somebody elses opinion)?

And does anybody know where to buy the TD-15?

Last edited: