Good First light

slickseal

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a good first LED light with nice throw.

Budget: Around 50$ (flexible)
Format: flashlight or headlamp
Battery type: What do you recommend?

Some other important things would be : more than one brightness setting, decent run-time, plenty of lumens:D, and for it to be fairly tough.
One model I have looked at Is the EagleTac T100c2 MarkII. Does this make a good first light?

Ezeriel

Enlightened
I am looking for a good first LED light with nice throw.

Budget: Around 50$ (flexible)
Format: flashlight or headlamp
Battery type: What do you recommend?

Some other important things would be : more than one brightness setting, decent run-time, plenty of lumens:D, and for it to be fairly tough.
One model I have looked at Is the EagleTac T100c2 MarkII. Does this make a good first light?

I recommend all first time buyers to head over to Shiningbeam and see what he has.. it's more budget-y, but the quality is very nice.

EagleTac is a very respected company, but I like my lights to have more output levels, so I'd pass on that particular model.. but that's just me.

Just make sure whatever you get will use rechargeables.

ico

Enlightened
I would suggest a zebralight H51 or SC51. It is not built for throw but as you said that it would be used for, i think its throw is enough. The best part is its an AA light with 6 different modes and can be used as a flashlight or a headlamp

rambo180

Enlightened
I would suggest a zebralight H51 or SC51. It is not built for throw but as you said that it would be used for, i think its throw is enough. The best part is its an AA light with 6 different modes and can be used as a flashlight or a headlamp

I agree with that suggestion. Be sure to be clear with yourself, if you want a dedicated thrower, it won't be any use for anything closer than 20-50m. In my opinion, most people don't REALLY need to see much past 50-100m, so make sure you checkout some beamshots first. Its important to know exactly what you want. Throwers are generally more impressive though ;).

shining beam has a rominsen for about $30 with around 800 lumens, that will throw due to sheer horsepower alone.

slickseal

Newly Enlightened
Okay. I was really looking for a all purpose light that would be used for throw (100-150 yards) and for closer range general purpose use.
would the eagle tac do that?

Thanks.

biglights

Enlightened
I have the EagleTac D25LC2, it has multiple modes for close settings and it puts out a lot light for stuff farther away. I have the neutral white and really light it a lot. It is a bit more than $50, but not by much. Take a look...

Dave H

Newly Enlightened
With you budget retrictions I would go with a Solarforce L2 body and get an R2 dereelight drop in from flashlight connection. I have one in my 6p. I bought the 3 mode version, it has lots of throw but yet still has plenty of spill for an all purpose light.

fishndad

Enlightened
Im not sure what "nice" throw means.
But for under $40. the JETBEAM BA20 will easily light up an area 100 feet and also a great spill area around you.
If you need to see 100 yards or so and clearly see what your looking for, well thats a tuff order and still use the
light for general up close use at least for your target price range.If you dont really need a thrower i recommend
starting with the JetBeam and then getting yourself a dedicated thrower down the road.For $100.you can have both.
Good Luck