Klarus Mi X6 (XP-G R5, 1xAAA, Stainless Steel) Review: RUNTIMES, BEAMSHOTS and more!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
Warning: Pic heavy, as usual.

X6002.jpg

X6003.jpg

Klarus has recently come up with a new 1xAAA light, the Mi X6, in stainless steel. Let's see how it compares to other 1xAAA lights … :whistle:

Specifications:
  • Emitter: Cree XP-G R5 LED
  • Four outputs: 26 lumens (5.7 hours) —— 3 lumens (66 hours) —— 85 lumens (70 minutes) —— Strobe 85 lumens (2.3 hrs)
  • Battery: 1 x AAA (Alkaline, Ni-MH). 10440 Li-ion use is not recommended.
  • Digitally regulated output, with no PWM (for flicker-free performance)
  • Stainless Steel body for corrosion resistance and a solid feel
  • Reverse polarity protection, which protects the flashlight and battery from damage
  • Switch: Twist switch. Switch modes by loosening and tightening the flashlight head
  • Lens: Toughened ultra-clear glass
  • Reflector: Textured orange peel reflector
  • Body Material: Stainless Steel
  • Dimensions: 71.6mm (Length) x 12.7mm (Head) X11.6mm (Body)
  • Net weight: 18g (Excluding battery) 10. Waterproof to IPX-8 standard (2 meters)
  • MSRP: ~$45
X6001.jpg

Packaging is fairly typical for a 1xAAA light. Inside the cardboard box is the light, extra o-ring, small split ring and manual.

X6013.jpg

X6014.jpg

From left to right: Energizer L92 lithium AAA, Klarus Mi X6, 4Sevens ReVo, 4Sevens Preon1, ITP A3 EOS Upgraded (XP-G), Maratac AAA, Ray S20, Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi, VersaTi.

Klarus Mi X6: Weight 16.2g, Length 72.9mm (battery installed) x Width 12.8mm
4Sevens Preon 1: Weight 15.3g (with keychain clip), Length 75.6mm x Width 14.0mm (bezel)
4Sevens ReVo:: Weight: 11.3g , Length 72.7mm (battery installed) x Width 12.9mm
ITP EOS A3 Upgraded: Weight: 11.6g (no clip), Length: 69.7 x Width 14.1mm (bezel)

The Klarus is quite petite for the class – very similar to the 4Sevens ReVo. I don't have the stainless steel ReVo to compare, but I imagine weights would be comparable.

X6004.jpg

X6007.jpg

Mi X6 body is stainless steel. Lettering is sharp and clear, in a muted dark gray against the shiny background. While there is no anodizing to speak of, the fluted ridges on the head help with grip. I found the light can be operated one-handed.

Tailstanding is not possible, but the Mi X6 does have a substantial clip attachment point.

The Mi X6 doesn't use a spring in the tailcap, but it does have the same sort of flexible-looking base as my ReVo.

Head contains a brass heatsink, which should help for durability and thermal transfer. :thumbsup: Note the soft black disc on the positive contact plate, to limit rattle.

By the way, not only does this all look very similar to the ReVo, but I've discovered the Mi X6 head can screw onto the ReVo body and activate. :eek:oo: The ReVo head threading seems just a little too thick to screw on to the Mi X6 body, though.

X6005.jpg

X6010.jpg

Mi X6 comes with a textured reflector (OP) and uses a XP-G emitter. The emitter was well centered on my sample (it is the angle of the light in the picture above that makes it look slightly off).

Which brings me to the white-wall beamshots. ;) All lights are on 1xAAA Sanyo Eneloop NiMH, about ~0.75 meter from a white wall (with the camera ~1.25 meters back from the wall). Automatic white balance on the camera, to minimize tint differences. All beamshots taken immediately upon activation.

X6-Beam001.jpg
EOSA3-XPG-Beam001.jpg

ReVo-Beam001.jpg
IlluminaTi-Beam001.jpg

X6-Beam002.jpg
EOSA3-XPG-Beam002.jpg

ReVo-Beam002.jpg
IlluminaTi-Beam002.jpg

X6-Beam003.jpg
EOSA3-XPG-Beam003.jpg

ReVo-Beam003.jpg
IlluminaTi-Beam003.jpg

X6-Beam004.jpg
EOSA3-XPG-Beam004.jpg

ReVo-Beam004.jpg
IlluminaTi-Beam004.jpg

I find most 1xAAA lights to have fairly diffused beams, with broad hotspots.

User Interface

Turn on by fully tightening the head/bezel against the body. The light is off when the bezel is loosened slightly.

Light comes on in Med output to start. To select a different level, twist the Mi X6 off and then back on again within 1 second. This will advance to the next level in the following repeating sequence: Med > Lo > Hi > Strobe.

There is no memory mode.

PWM/Strobe

Here's a nice find – there is no sign of PWM on the Lo/Med modes of the Mi X6. :) Like the ReVo, the Mi X6 also seems to use current-control for its low modes

X6-Strobe.gif

Strobe was 9.9 Hz in my testing.

Testing Method:

All my output numbers are relative for my home-made light box setup, a la Quickbeam's flashlightreviews.com method. You can directly compare all my relative output values from different reviews - i.e. an output value of "10" in one graph is the same as "10" in another. All runtimes are done under a cooling fan, except for any extended run Lo/Min modes (i.e. >12 hours) which are done without cooling.

I have recently devised a method for converting my lightbox relative output values (ROV) to estimated Lumens. See my How to convert Selfbuilt's Lighbox values to Lumens thread for more info.

Throw/Output Summary Chart:

Effective November 2010, I have revised my summary tables to match with the current ANSI FL-1 standard for flashlight testing. Please see http://www.sliderule.ca/FL1.htm for a description of the terms used in these tables.

AAA-FL1-Summary.gif

No surprise here, max output and throw is in a similar range to other XP-G lights. It does have one of the lowest Lo modes I've seen, though.

Output/Runtime Comparison:

X6-HiL92.gif

X6-HiEne.gif

X6-MedEne.gif

X6-HiAlka.gif

X6-MedAlka.gif

X6-LoAlka.gif

First thing you will notice is the Mi X6 has a step-down in output on Hi, at 3 mins into the run. Again, this is just like the ReVo. :whistle:

Output is typically slightly lower on the Mi X6, compared to the ReVo. This is interesting given my ReVo has an XP-E R2 and the Mi X6 has a XP-G R5. But otherwise, performance of the Mi X6 seems to be dead ringer for the ReVo on Med and Hi on alkaline and NiMH – similar excellent runtime, and similar well-regulated pattern. :) It is just L92 lithium where there is a relative efficiency drop with the Klarus light.

Potential Issues

Head-twist "tighten-to-turn-on" designs always have the potential to be "battery crushers." However, the Mi X6 uses the same sort of flexible connection in the tail of the light as the ReVo, and I haven't experienced any issues with that light.

Strobe is on the main sequence (i.e. not "hidden")

Light can't tailstand.

Preliminary Observations

As I noted in earlier 1xAAA reviews, emitter output bin alone is a poor predictor of performance in this class. I've seen a number of XP-G R5-equipped lights that are no brighter than their earlier XP-E Q5/R2 counterparts, and runtime efficiencies that are all over the map. Circuit design is obviously pivotal for good performance – and the Mi X6 doesn't disappoint on this front. It is clearly using a good quality current-controlled circuit, which is rare in this size light. :thumbsup:

No point beating around the bush – the overall build, output and runtime patterns of the Mi X6 are remarkably similar to 4Sevens ReVo. I have to assume they are using a similar basic circuit – both even step down in an identical manner.

One difference is the sequence – the Mi X6 starts on Med, and includes Strobe in the repeating sequence. I'm somewhat neutral on the Lo > Med > Hi vs Med > Lo > Hi sequence fight. :rolleyes: Although I personally prefer lights that start on the lowest level, the Med-first sequence might make more sense for the general non-flashaholic crowd. But I personally don't like seeing Strobe here – it clutters the interface.

I'm not generally a fan of large stainless steel lights (i.e. too heavy), but the material works well in the 1xAAA size. The extra weight is negligible, and adds a feeling of increased sturdiness. Mode switching is smooth, and I was able to do it one-handed (thanks to the fluted head). :thumbsup:

All said and done, if you don't mind the mode sequence, this seems to be very good option for those looking for a tiny stainless steel 1xAAA for keychain carry.

----

Klarus Mi X6 provided by goinggear.com for review.

squaat

Newly Enlightened
awesome review as usual selfbuilt.
Is it just me or has olight really cornered the 1AAA market. ITP a3, Maratac AAA, Preon ReVo, Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi, Klarus Mi X6 are all made by olight or their subsidiary right?

Last edited:

selfbuilt

Flashaholic
another stunning review. bravo!
Thanks - and I gather you are a 1xAAA fan judging by your avatar? ;)

Is it just me or has olight really cornered the 1AAA market. ITP a3, Maratac AAA, Preon ReVo, Titanium Innovations IlluminaTi, Klarus Mi X6 are all made by olight or their subsidiary right?
AFAIK, that is true for all the others examples you mentioned - but I was not aware of a relationship between Klarus and Olight. Another possibility is a designer has moved from one company to another. I've certainly seen a lot of examples of that over the years. :shrug:

d1337

Enlightened
Thanks for the review. I just ordered one of these because I couldn't find a SS Preon Revo. I already have the standard Revo but want something that will look a little nicer. I actually like the medium first because that is the most useful output for 80% of what I do. Does anyone know if the light will still come on in low if there is not enough voltage left for medium? That is to say can I run it until it shuts off in medium or high and still turn it on in low mode for a few hours in an emergency type situation?

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for the review. I just ordered one of these because I couldn't find a SS Preon Revo. I already have the standard Revo but want something that will look a little nicer. I actually like the medium first because that is the most useful output for 80% of what I do. Does anyone know if the light will still come on in low if there is not enough voltage left for medium? That is to say can I run it until it shuts off in medium or high and still turn it on in low mode for a few hours in an emergency type situation?

The light will drop to a low brightness when the batteries are nearly empty and can run for some time at that low brightness.

evolutionary

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the very thorough review. I've been debating this light for quite some time and with the information you just provided, I've made my decision (gonna keep that decision a secret :sssh:).

Thanks again and keep up the very valuable reviews!

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
it's now available in titanium :)
I noticed that earlier this week, and placed my order shortly after. I think I finally found the light to replace my old Arc AAA-P I have attached to the titanium chain around my neck.

eh123456

Newly Enlightened
I hope this is not a stupid question.
What is the difference between the SS and the Ti versions ? Obviously one is made of SS and the other is made of Ti, but what makes the Ti version more expensive ? Lighter ?

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not a stupid question. Ti is much more expensive to start with, and much more expensive to work (it's harder on bits, abrasives, etc). Its advantage to the user is that it's much lighter than steel, it looks really good and can be annodized easily, and it's got cachet

eh123456

Newly Enlightened
Thanks.

Not a stupid question. Ti is much more expensive to start with, and much more expensive to work (it's harder on bits, abrasives, etc). Its advantage to the user is that it's much lighter than steel, it looks really good and can be annodized easily, and it's got cachet

kreisler

Banned
*FYI* People interested in buying a Klarus and/or a Revo, please read the following threads. They contain helpful info, in order of relevance:

I havent made up my mind yet about purchasing the Klarus (or old stock of the Revo). The above info is helpful though, for those who missed out on reading it. In the Revo threads they also talk about Klarus :naughty:

Tiggercat

Enlightened
Great review - love, love LOVE this little light. It has supplanted a Photon that lived on my keyring for years. Very durable, very high quality feel.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the Ti version in and its a great little light, thin and superlight at about 12g empty. I have a ReVo but I wanted a Med first Keychain light since that is the mode I use the most.

It's a shame I can't get a Mix6 in neutral though. I also wish they dropped or better yet hid the strobe mode and made it a more useful 2hz for signaling. Disorienting strobe is silly on a keychain light and twist-twist -twist interface.

One thing I noticed in use and in your chart is that the Med in not as bright as claimed. It seems about the same as the Revo or about 18lm. This actually satisfies me just fine as 18lm is plenty for my typical uses and I would rather have a longer runtime then a brighter Med.

Samy

Enlightened
I recently purchased the gold plated model for a friend. I liked it so much I might get a stainless one for myself ;)

Cheers