Any one use a candle lantern?

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a UCO candlelier this year for camping and I have to say I am impressed. Its not super bright, but thats the reason why my wife and I bought it. It is bright enough to light a picnic table or a board game with the nice warm glow of the candle. It sets a nicer atmosphere than LED lanterns. The candles run for a long time as well (at least 8 hours). Sometimes I like the natural light from this thing better than a campfire and I can warm up water for coffee/hot cocoa as well.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried a neutral white lantern, or, a lantern modded with a neutral/warm/high-CRI emitter?

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you tried a neutral white lantern, or, a lantern modded with a neutral/warm/high-CRI emitter?

Yes, but we wanted something more natural. It really sets the mood camping or just sitting out in the backyard.Hard to explain. Its like replacing a candlelight dinner with LED. The Warm LED might be nice and similar in appearance but its just not the same

carrot

Flashaholic
As the cooler weather hits I expect I'll be taking my candle lantern out more. While it's not a good idea to use in a hammock (which is my favorite way to camp), it works well in a tent since it does not create dangerous fumes (just CO2), adds a little extra warmth to your tent, and of course gives you light. Never saw a need for an LED lantern when a candle lantern does so much more.

carrot

Flashaholic
I believe it to be safe inside a tent. Tested it myself. If you have a hook on the top of your tent (a dome tent, preferably) then it will hang far enough that it should not melt the fabric, since the chain is so long. The top part (the metal cage around the globe) does get very hot but the base does not, and it can be blown out from the top. The flame is encapsulated in the glass globe so it shouldn't catch anything on fire, and a candle that is burning cleanly (no wind disturbance) with high quality wax (like UCO's) will not leave soot.

Imon

Enlightened
Haha...
This is a great thread. I remember I was in a speleological society in college and we'd go camping/caving every other weekend. My best friend and I got really drunk after everybody in our group had set up their tents. Anyways we pass out in our tent with a candle lantern burning and we wake up the next morning to discover everything in the tent, including us, covered in wax.

Whoops :ohgeez:

Vesper

Enlightened
My candle lanterns always come out on camping trips. The flickering warm flame is a must for me. I just have several of the single candle units myself. I hang them from the roof of the tent at times without any problem (far enough down to be safe).

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
The candle lantern certainly looks neat, and I bet it has a beautiful glow.

But—

call me anxiety stricken, but I'll stick to my LED lighting inside tents. :)

Dave_C

Newly Enlightened
I've used both the UCO Candlelier and the regular UCO Original Candle Lantern, I like them both but for different uses.

The original version is a single candle lantern that collapses down to a nice compact size which i've used for backpacking. I've found that it provides enough light to get around in the dark and avoid obstacles, but more light would be nice for reading a book or doing anything detailed. I bought the reflector, and this does help. The Candlelier is the 3 candle version which is nicer for reading or playing board games, I use the reflector for this one as well which does make a big improvement if directional light is ok. I love coffee too, and the Candlelier can support the weight of a mug or small pot, so it keeps my coffee nice and hot. The manufacturer says it can boil stuff - maybe it can in hot weather, but in cool weather when it counts I haven't been able to get it to boil anything (it comes close though). I wish the original version could support my mug, but it can't because of the collapsible design - the Candlelier isn't collapsible, so it's too bulky for backpacking.

My favourite things about the UCO lanterns:

Safe (keeps the flame away from objects, and you can hang it safely) - I haven't used it in a tent, and probably never will although the manufacturer lists it as a possibility.
Clean - hasn't dripped or made a mess yet, and I've used a lot of candles.
Efficient - the spring loaded design always keeps the candle at the optimal height
The Candlelier keeps the coffee hot.
The Original lantern is nice and compact for backpacking.
I prefer natural candle light to led light.

My least favourite things:

The Candlelier doesn't collapse, but I wouldn't want to sacrifice the mug warming capability for this ...
The candles are a bit more expensive, but I still think it's worth it.
The beeswax candles don't produce as much light, and the wick doesn't stay straight. The regular candles are great. Haven't tried the citronella ones yet.

The UCO lanterns are the only one's i've used, and I really haven't looked further as I'm really happy with them. If anyone has any input on other brands, I'd be interested to hear if there are any better suggestions.

uco-candlelier-orig.jpg

Best Regards,

Dave

http://www.emporosofeden.com

Grizzly22

Newly Enlightened
I have been very interested in the UCO Candlelier for quite a few months now, just haven't gotten to pulling the trigger and buying it yet. I'm glad you like it.

It would be nice to have a lantern that would be an alternative to using batteries, and the UCO looks perfect.

Also, apart from being tent friendly, something I haven't seen being discussed on this thread, is that the candles help curb the uncomfortable humidity/moisture in the tent, that nasty sticky feeling.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pretty much have all the UCO candle lanterns other than the Candleier. I have the one candle lanterns in both brass and aluminum and the tea candle lantern. If I need something brighter and warmer, I bring my Primus butane lantern. All of these lanterns are used for light and warmth inside the tent (one at a time, of coarse). I started getting into using lanterns as tent heaters after my brother accidently melted my 0 degree synthetic sleeping to my Black Cat Catalitic Propane heater ($70 heater+$60 sleeping bag). Having a lantern heat the tent now, I no longer have any accidents of bumping into a heater on the ground and don't have to worry about burns or fires as much. I really like the one candle lanterns for backpacking trips. The Candleier is a little too bulky and heavy, and a 3 pack of candles costs nearly as much as a butane canister that can provide more light and heat for nearly as long.

braddy

Enlightened
I spent a night in very cold weather without a jacket, with a torn space blanket thrown over my upper body and a UCO candle lantern underneath it by my face, I had a miserable night, but was comfortable enough to doze off for spells throughout the night.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Love candles and candle lanterns. Lately, however, I've been running my Dietz and Kirkman tubular lanterns quite a bit (every night). I run Klean Heat, so the scent of the kero is extremely minimal inside. The look of these units and the bright, constant flame is still as useable and useful as it was 100 years ago. I think any true light fiend should have one of these to try. Great for picnic tables, etc. I have one dedicated for citronella oil as well.

markr6

Flashaholic
I really like my UCO Micro and plan on taking it backpacking this weekend. It will be my first time taking a candle lantern on a trip so I'm excited to see it hanging from the tarp over my hammock!