3xAAA Nimh, brightest spot I can get cheap, nice to have a normal setting

DanglerB

Newly Enlightened
I want a spot bright enough to work in ambient daylight under the hood of a car where typical lights wash out and I can't see level in a semi opaque radiator overflow or dark cranny under the intake. High and normal modes would be nice, give more general use and longer life, but more bright would win vs more modes or higher cost. Sticky on the 3xAAA no desire to add another battery type for ONE flashlight. Cheaper is better, guessing this is a light that will get replaced with something more general use in a couple years as tech improves.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nebo Redline fits the description. 220 lumens high i believe, and then a lower medium and low. The lens focuses from perfect flood to pin point spot with zero spill. Probably not going to be waterproof though. Pretty cheap too,

DanglerB

Newly Enlightened
That looks pretty good, worse I think I want one of the Nebo Larry 5618 Hands Free Led Pocket Worklight Rotating Magnetic Clip,60 Lumen. Hard to resist for $12, makes me wonder how it compares to the EZRed version (I'll look around here for a review).

Thanks.

I'm going to continue looking at more options and hopefully more suggestions, then my usual is a Sunday night ebay purchase so its waiting for the seller to ship Monday morning (buy at the end of the week and it goes out on Monday anyway. ;)

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Put a solarforce masterpice pro-1 head on a l2i tube. You prob wont find a more focused "aaa light". The pro-1 is ~50 000 lux. It's not at full power with only 3xaaa, but it's still really bright. (guesstimate 20-30 000 lux with aaa's). Singlemode, so it might be overkill and way to focused :)

Tegan's Dad

Newly Enlightened
The cheapest suggestion I would have would be an x2000 zoom light. They can be found for the $10 range. I also saw an xml version on DX that claims "900 lumen", but I would guess they don't come anywhere near that. I would assume neither of these to be water proof, and the quality might not be enough for you either, but it might be worth a shot.

DanglerB

Newly Enlightened
Nebo not looking so good post searches, seems most place it closer to a 80 lumen output, better options outside of name brands. I bid on a cheapo ebay last night, brand new (0) feedback China seller with a bunch of Q5 and T6, but got sniped on the Q5 3xAAA and it sold for 50 cents over my $6.07 shipped bid.

I am trying to get a feel for how I might like a T6, but its the old, looks good on the surface, then issues as you dig deeper.

Regards quality, I like a nice bit of gear, but I am VERY easy on items like flashlights and meters, no wet use etc.

DanglerB

Newly Enlightened
Cyclone C88 sold by intl-outdoor. Google it

Looks nice, but $45 is nicer than I have in mind. ;)

I've got a familiar feeling, start thinking about a NICE new flashlight, get into the details and buy another $11 one while I WAIT for tech to settle down.

rambo180

Enlightened
Looks nice, but $45 is nicer than I have in mind. ;)

I've got a familiar feeling, start thinking about a NICE new flashlight, get into the details and buy another $11 one while I WAIT for tech to settle down.

Technology will never settle down. You only live once. Buy something like a Romisen 750 lumen for $28 or a Cyclone 850 lumen for around $40 and enjoy life.