SF G2 With P61 Lamp assembly

Illum

Flashaholic
Anyone used the "high output lamp" P61 LA, respectively.
the P61 boasted 120 lumens, nearly twice as bright as the P60 65 Lumen lamp.

the standard lamp assembly run 55 minutes to 50% 1.25 hour to dead
the high output lamp are advertised to have only 20 minute runtime, but i suspect something lower

Anyone used this lamp assembly on a G2 or any light that runs on 2 123As?

ugrey

Enlightened
My G2 was my first real light. I have moved up in size and power since, see my light list. About a year ago I put a P61 in my G2 and I love it. I would not go back to a P60. Every night, at home I drop my G2/P61 into my cargo pants pocket and due to its small size and weight I never even notice it. With this combo I always have a serious amount of light on me. "A little paranoia leads to a long life". The throw is not very much more, but it is at least twice as bright. I can't tell you about heat problems because I only use it in short blasts. I can only guess it runtime at 20 minutes. I am on my second pair of batteries. Al (Size 15, our resident SF expert) says the P61 is one of his favorites and I certainly agree with him.

Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic
ugrey said:
My G2 was my first real light. I have moved up in size and power since, see my light list. About a year ago I put a P61 in my G2 and I love it. I would not go back to a P60. Every night, at home I drop my G2/P61 into my cargo pants pocket and due to its small size and weight I never even notice it. With this combo I always have a serious amount of light on me. "A little paranoia leads to a long life". I can't tell you about heat problems because I only use it in short blasts. I can only guess it runtime at 20 minutes. I am on my second pair of batteries. Al (Size 15, our resident SF expert) says the P61 is one of his favorites and I certainly agree with him.

"A little paranoia leads to a long life" well said!
When i bought my inova xo before finding out that Surefire sells lithiums for less than $2 a piece "expense leads to long life" was my part, using light in short bursts allowed me to still use the stock duracells after almost two years.

All of my lights are used in short bursts, the longest run I've done so far was installing a spare tire on a van on the side of a highway, which I ran my SL PP 4AA lux for about half an hour.

Thanks for the reply!:grin2:

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
All of my G2's have the P61 LA. I found that up close the P61 isn't any improvement over the P60. It's at a distance where things change. I don't think the P61's hotspot is any brighter than the P60's, I just think the P61's is bigger. Truly does make a difference when you're trying to find a vehicle that's gone off the road into a field, or the person from said vehicle that may or may not wish to be found, or when you're scouting the best way through treacherous terrain for your 4x4. I only use the light for ~5 minutes at a time, so it was well worth the tradeoff in runtime.

Cheers. :buddies:

ugrey

Enlightened
If you still want a light with P60 performance, go to Target and get a $17 Brinkman Maxfire. The beam quality and brightness are the same as a P60. The light has a clickie switch and is on half inch longer than a G2. The new G2's with a clickie may be the same length. Take the rubber ring off the head and the rubber sleeve off the body and you will have a light that will go in your pocket and not be too sticky.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
I swapped out the P60 for the P61 upon delivery and it sits on my headboard for things that go woof in the night, it is about 18 inches from a 12 ga pump and about 24" from a .357 mag. Oh yeah we have black bears now, one of the small inconviences of very rural living. A largish bear went on the back porch of a lady and took her 50 pound bag of dog food, so in response to that the lady started storing the dog food in the house............ guess what??