Surefire L Series

matt_o

Newly Enlightened
I'm pretty familiar with most of the Surefire lines. I am a little lost when it comes to the L series though. Can someone explain what the differences are between some of them and how they differ and or interchange with the E and A series lights. Are the bodies bigger than the E series? I'm getting interested in the older 4 flats versions of the E series and like the looks of the L4, but don't know anything about them.

archimedes

Flashaholic
I'm pretty familiar with most of the Surefire lines. I am a little lost when it comes to the L series though. Can someone explain what the differences are between some of them and how they differ and or interchange with the E and A series lights. Are the bodies bigger than the E series? I'm getting interested in the older 4 flats versions of the E series and like the looks of the L4, but don't know anything about them.

The L-series generally had "tactical" (twisty, two-level) tail switches. They don't interchange with E-series. They came in a variety of sizes, which changed or "evolved" over time (L1 Gen1-6).

"4-flats" were older vintage L-series ( & A2 ), not E-series ... ( the older E-series were "teardrop bezel" ).

There are a number of threads about the L-series around the forum.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?151425-The-Surefire-L1-Evolution
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-L4-named-that-and-not-something-like-the-E4L
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?337696-Surefire-A2L-tailcap-on-an-L4

Hope that helps :)

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll add to what archi already said. The current L4, is essentially an "E-Series" light, in that all it's parts are compatible (thread wise) with E-Series parts. What's currently termed as the "L-Series", mostly now refers to the L1, L2, and the Aviator, with essentially the two stage twisty mentioned already. The older discontinued "L" Series were simply LED itterations of existing lights.

L4 = LED E2e
L6 = LED M3
L7 = LED AN8 (Rechargeable)

If you really want a doozy, check out the A2Z...

Some of the L series heads will fit E-Series body, and vice versa, but not all, and the tail-caps of the L2/L1/A2 only work on those lights. Keep in mind, since with the L1/L2, the resistor is in the tail-cap, so putting an L2 head on an E2 body will only give you one level of light, since the L2 (and L1) tail-cap controls the two brightness setting, where as the E2L head, the two brightness levels are controlled from the head, and not the tail-cap.

One of my favorite combo's is the "E2B-AA" (E1B Head on an E2L-AA Body) or the E2L-AA-Rd (Red L1 Head on the E2L-AA Body).

Clear as mud? :0) Hope this helps!

Last edited:

BillSWPA

Enlightened
Just checked Surefire's website, and the L4 is still listed as available. It is one of my favorite lights, being one of the smallest 2xCR123 packages available.

Size15's

Flashaholic
Referring to an "L Series" is complicated as people have already shown.
The reason being that many of these lights came both at and from a time when SureFire was first introducing LEDs to it's flashlight range and was doing so across various fronts at various times.

The L1 and L2 were the start of new dedicated LED flashlights. Bezels for these flashlights were never available separately.

Whereas the L4, L5, L6 and L7 (what one may term the "L-Sequence") were born and numbered based on their dedicated "KL" LED bezels for existing bodies.

L4 (KL4 on an E2e body)
L5 (KL5 on an M2/C2 body)
L6 (KL6 on an M3 body)
L7 (KL7 on an 8AX body)

And those KL bezels above started at 4 because of the
KL1 for the E-Series bodies (like the E1e and E2e)
KL2 for the Millennium Series bodies (essentially for the M3 though)
KL3 (for standard bodies like the 6P/G2 etc)

The KL2 and KL3 were never released as part of whole flashlights but the KL1 was released on both the E1e and E2e bodies as the E1L and E2L.

Another perspective on the "L-Series" could be any SureFire model that SureFire updated to feature an LED source rather than incandescent. This is tenuous perhaps but if you are including models in the L-Series such as the L4 with it's KL4 then why not include the E2L with it's KL1?

Even duringthe time all this was going on the nomenclature was going off-canon and getting rather confusing. I suppose SureFire have affirmed dedicated LED flashlight by refreshing of their handheld range with their "Generation X" (X-type) flashlights.

Last edited:

matt_o

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all of the responses. This is beginning to make a little more sense.

So the current L4 and the E2L are similar except for the 2 modes and lower output of the E2L? What is the difference between the L2 and L4? Are most of the L series one mode only? Is the current LX2 the replacement for the old L2?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm trying to find out as much as I can about these before I start looking for one.

Size15's

Flashaholic
So the current L4 and the E2L are similar except for the 2 modes and lower output of the E2L?
Both use the E2e body and Z57 Clickie TailCap.
However, the L4 uses the KL4[A] bezel which has a reflector whereas the E2L use the KX2 bezel which has as TIR and is also dual-output.
So the usage outcome is rather different even though they are similar size/shape flashlights.

What is the difference between the L2 and L4?
The L2 and L4 are significantly different in design, although the beamshape and output are pretty much the same. That is to say the old version of the KL4 had the same 'Luxeon V' LED as the L2 had.
The important difference between the L2 and the L4 was that the L2 had the two-stage push button pressure switch TailCap for two output modes, whereas the L4 was a single-output clickie switch operated light. Of course the L2 was significantly longer than the L4 which did have ergonomic and carry implications.

Are most of the L series one mode only?
As far as there can be an "L-Series" given the three main stands of Ls as I mentioned above, I suppose most are single-mode output. Except the current prominent models which aren't.

Is the current LX2 the replacement for the old L2?
The LX2 (which is a current model, rather than the 'current [iteration] of the LX2') replaced the L2 which was effectively discontinued when the LX2 was released.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would seriously look at the L2...one of, if not THE, most under-rated Surfires. The 15 lumen flood beam in a bomb-proof package that will get you through hell and back. And the 100, for when you need it, which isn't often.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would seriously look at the L2...one of, if not THE, most under-rated Surfires. The 15 lumen flood beam in a bomb-proof package that will get you through hell and back. And the 100, for when you need it, which isn't often.

Agree on the awesomeness, even today, of the L2....not to mention the L1, which IMHO is still in the top 5 SureFire lights and should probably be in the top 10 of all lights.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't you mean the AZ2? sweet, sweet dual output light... oh me likey! :devil:

AZ2XY, whatever...LOL! But yes, the AZ2 is probably THE Perfect surefire. Flood/throw in a combat-grip body? I'll take two please :0) They took the best of The L-series and put it in a combat grip body...It's like an L2/LX2/C2-BK-HA had a baby...LOL!

Bogie

Enlightened
Here is a size comparison pic

IMG_0902.jpg

matt_o

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the picture. I would have thought that the L1 would have been shorter than that. I already have an E2E with a tower module so I don't know what I could gain by getting an L1. It does look pretty good though.

archimedes

Flashaholic
Thanks for the picture. I would have thought that the L1 would have been shorter than that. I already have an E2E with a tower module so I don't know what I could gain by getting an L1. It does look pretty good though.

That is a great photo ... looks like the L1 there may be a Gen1 (!)

Note that the Gen6 L1 is much smaller, however, than the earlier versions.

Many prefer the 2-stage tactical operation of the L1 tail switch to that of the E-series lights.

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes...and also there is sometimes such a thing as too small.

That is a great photo ... looks like the L1 there may be a Gen1 (!)

Note that the Gen6 L1 is much smaller, however, than the earlier versions.

Many prefer the 2-stage tactical operation of the L1 tail switch to that of the E-series lights.