My 3rd light: P7 2x18650

archer6817j

Enlightened
Hey all, so I seem to have gotten the bug. I ordered one of the 52mm P7 dropins from DX. Maybe not the best components but I wanted to try some new things with the light body and not worry about the electronics.

Right now the body is roughed out and I'll go back and do some fancy stuff when I have time.

DSC00657.jpg

This is the DX P7 drop in. The reflector is probably the best part. Nice even and small spot with a mild but huge spill. The lens (for now) is a 1/4" piece of polycarbonate that is grooved along the outer rim for an o-ring. At the moment it's just a press fit but I'll be making a bezel to hold everything together.

DSC00658.jpg

I went with another reed activated MOSFET switch. Rotate the ring to turn on. I also need to make a ball plunger and make a groove so I can get an nice positive click in the "on" position.

DSC00659.jpg

I'm also using unprotected cells so I needed to make a battery holder to have space for the PCB and the MOSFET. I also needed to take up some diameter since the inside of the bore is about 1" and the batteries about about 3/4". I was at the hardware store and found some PVC pipe that perfectly fits and 18650 battery. I had to turn down the two white end caps to fit inside the body.

DSC00660.jpg

This is the front end of the battery holder where it touches the drop in spring. The little brass bit is a contact for the MOSFET and the PCB. I cut a disk out of brass shim stock and dimpled it with a pin punch to contact the top of the battery. The little slots were milled to run the wires.

DSC00661.jpg

The tail end. Not a lot of glamor here :) The little bit of reduced diameter PVC holds the actual PCB and the MOSFET. I soldered wire to the little brass disk on the right. This is the negative body contact for the MOSFET switch. When the tail cap is screwed on the disc is captured between the end of the PVC and the bottom of the tailcap. Since the battery tube is "floating" inside the body I rely on the spring pressure from the drop in to hold everything tight.

DSC00662.jpg

Just a shot of all the parts. When I'm done it "should" be waterproof as well.

DSC00663.jpg

This shows the battery tube relative to the assembled light...in case that wasn't self explanatory :)

DSC00664.jpg

Here is a closeup of the reed switch at the head end of the battery holder. Held in place with lucky blue tape.

DSC00665.jpg

Beamshots to come!

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the body design you went with! Especially the large grooves on the control ring, that should make it easy to get a good grip on.

Raze

Enlightened
Let's call it...

Wait for it...

Prometheus Beta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk, please pardon typos.

archer6817j

Enlightened
No plans (at this time) to produce this I'm afraid. It's also probably hard to tell from the photos but this bad boy is about the size of a 3D maglite. I'ts not a monster thrower but I'd say it can out throw the Alpha by 3x. Keep in mind that a bigger reflector (depth + width) gives you more throw. Okay, not counting TIR. So to make something throw like crazy you need a huge head.

Now here's the fun part. Who wants a 4" diameter screw-on head for an Alpha body that can put out 80,000 lux @ 1m with an XML? :devil: I just happen to have a prototype sitting on my bench.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bet it looks like a plunger. I've never been a fan of tiny body big head lights. I think Craig was showing a crazy Lego at one GTG of a MPP1 head with an E2C adapter and an E2e body and I kept calling it a bell like the ones used to summon a maid.

archer6817j

Enlightened
I bet it looks like a plunger. I've never been a fan of tiny body big head lights. I think Craig was showing a crazy Lego at one GTG of a MPP1 head with an E2C adapter and an E2e body and I kept calling it a bell like the ones used to summon a maid.

Now PCC, don't you think plunger is kind of a poor marketing angle ;) Not inaccurate though. However, my "plunger" can go head to head with an Olight SR-90. Someone else can figure out how much smaller and cheaper an Alpha is :) A few months ago I tested it against the SR-90 at a get together and the SR-90 did 90K lux and the Alpha was 80K. You can hardly tell the difference in lumens at that range. I wish I had some beam shots. BigC, did you get any? Or anyone else?