Some AN/VSS-3A Beam Shots

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Hi fellow CPFers,

Yesterday I finished my new cable set, and tonight I fired up my tank light for the first time in almost a year. It performed perfectly. It was a beautiful night with the clouds being illuminated by a rising moon.....as well as the AN/VSS-3. I took a bunch of photos, but the auto setting on the camera does not do a good job of capturing the way the beam really looks, while showing the clouds at the same time. These were the only ones that came out ok with some level adjustments, and they are still not quite right. I'll try again tomorrow using manual settings. It was really a beautiful sight:

08_11_06vss3_02.jpg

08_11_06vss3_3.jpg

08_11_06vss3_01.jpg

Ahh what fun.

Charles

Steve77

Newly Enlightened
:rock: I enjoyed the beamshots in your last thread on this light and I like these too. I can never get enough beamshot of this light. :D

That first pic with it hitting the cloud says a thousand words ( like HOLY ****!, etc., etc.).

Have you ever done a side by side with a mere mortal light like a HF HID to give an idea of how much more awsome it is? I'd love to see one of those.

Love those pics :goodjob:

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Hi Steve,

Glad you enjoyed the photos! Funny you mentioned a showdown. I was actually thinking of pitting the VSS-3 against my 35/50w HID modified 15mcp Thor and my X990. The HID Thor on 35w should be comparable to the HF. Perhaps I'll try that tonight. The beam from the VSS-3 is such a pinpoint compared to those two that getting the exposure right may prove interesting. We'll see what happens!

Charles

Last edited:

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
:thumbsup: Charles! I'm considering dragging mine to the Phoenix get-together next weekend. :)

Larry

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Go for it!!!

...and thanks again for re-machining the connector ring going to the light!

Thanks to Larry's excellent machining skills my cable now locks onto the light instead of being friction fit.

Charles

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Yes that is the 2.2kW 230lb version. tvodrd, ShortArc and some others here have those. The tilt swivel on that particular unit is quite nice. Needs a big power supply.

cfb

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Greetings HID enthusiasts,

Here is a shootout between the AN/VSS-3A tank searchlight, a 50 watt HID modified 15mcp Thor, and a 35 watt X990 HID. For anyone just tuning in, the VSS3 is a 1kW xenon short-arc infrared & visible searchlight that was used in tanks & helicopters. It can light things up miles away. This is not a fair shootout by any means, but in the true CPF tradition I felt the need to try it anyway.

First the contenders:

08_12_06contenders.jpg

Now the target, in this case an old trailer about 100 yards away:

08_12_06target.jpg

Now the first set of beamshots using a Nikon D100 set on manual so they are all the same exposure. Not that much difference you say? Ah just wait.

08_12_06shootout1.jpg

The interesting thing above is that in the original full resolution versions the middle of the trailer is totally blown out by the VSS-3A in the first exposure....i.e. the CCD in the camera is maxed out, and this was also apparent viewing the histogram. When I adjusted the camera exposure so that the VSS-3 shot was not overexposed, see what happens:

08_12_06shootout2.jpg

Guess that is a good illustration of what dynamic range is all about. Anyway to finish things off here are all three lights pointed skyward:

allthree.jpg

I will try some more shots in a week or two.

cfb

Last edited:

Mike Painter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Showdown? To paraphrase a line from a certain movie. "You call that a light? This is a light."

hogo

Newly Enlightened
good lord! that last picture is great, its like the other lights hardly show up.

Phased_Array

Newly Enlightened
Charles,
Excellent job of photo-documentation! Perfect exposure on that cloud shot, loved that. Just need to upgrade the expedient 'milkcrate/4 wheel dolly' apparatus.

I think the MaxaBeam vs. AN/VSS3 shootout would be a good one.

Phased Array

xpitxbullx

Flashlight Enthusiast
That poor X990 has no shot in that contest but it's the only one showing you the trees. :)

Jeff

tvodrd

*Flashaholic* ,
When I first fired mine off, I got this shot of it with a Maxabeam sitting on top, and aimed just off a little. The shot is at my rear garage door at ~40' and from the window, you can see it was "broad daylight" outside. The garage had the front door open and lights on but the intensity of the returned light caused the camera to "squint." :green: The imager was so overwhelmed that brightness/contrast in Photoshop elements can't discern any difference in brightness.

site1014.JPG

Larry

lotsalumens

Enlightened
Thanks for the feedback everyone! It's great being in touch with a group of people who are interested in these kinds of lights. Can't wait for the VSS-3/VSS-1 shootout.

Yes my Rapid Deployment Tactical Milk Crate Platform (RDTMCP) leaves a lot to be desired. I've got to figure out something better.

Charles

Last edited: