What's the best emergency survival flashlight?

yalskey

Enlightened
What would you guys recommend as the best flashlight to have with you if an emergency caused you to evacuate your home. I'm talking about floods, wire fires, hurricances, etc. Let's say you had to live in the wilderness / urban area for like a week. What flashlight would be best?

Thanks in advance for your advice. I'm trying to put together a awesome emergency survival kit / backpack.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my personal opinion the best light would be an LED headlamp. In a handheld light it would be one of the Lightwave series lights for its super long runtimes and useable output. For pocket I would go with an Inova X1 (old version for low footprint steath uses), or Inova X5. This is strictly personal.

Last edited:

Mad1

Enlightened
In an amergency you would want something that is bright but has a long runtime.

Then there is the saying 1 is none 2 is one etc etc.

I would go for a G2 and an X5 or maybe a Gladius instead of the G2 because of it's strobe function it would be great for attracting attention.

vizlor

Newly Enlightened
I'd go with 2. One high output and one with really long runtime with very few lumens.

Casual Flashlight User

Flashlight Enthusiast
One light only - HDS EDC U60 (or the new U120 when it is released) if it had a 2xCR123 tailpack it would be even better.

I always have my Arc-P and HDS U60 on me though...so I'd have at least two in an emergency (as Mad1 rightly says...1 one is none, 2 is one).

CFU

FlashInThePan

Enlightened
The HDS U60 XRGT.

It's durable, reliable, lightweight, small, and lasts more than 11 days on the lowest standard setting ("lowest standard setting" because there are also 3 lower settings available). And, of course, it can deliver 60 lumens when you need some real brightness. Even better, it's highly efficient and will suck every last bit of juice out of your battery.

Definitely a great "emergency" light. (And even cheaper now that everyone's selling theirs during the CREE upgrade craze...)

- FITP

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
The potential secondary threats that may evolve out of the emergencies you site would cause me to go with mostly very dim lights, probably NV gear compatable, with one bright, tight light for those rare, brief moments when nothing else will do.
  • In the dim class I like Covert Photon Freedoms, Old CMG Infinities, Pak-Lites and HDS lights that have been reprogrammed to come on dim and stealthy.
  • For the bright one it would depend on how far I had to carry it.
No matter how many times someone poses a question like this it is still very interesting to hear people's choices.

As Lee implied, personal preference is a huge factor in a question like this.

Last edited:

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you were trying to come up with just one, I'd say eternaLight, but we all know that those of us here would have multiple lights. I agree about a headlight, and of course, if I have pants on, I've got an ARC AAA. With those three I'm set, but I'll add another small light with a bit more throw, like an ARC LS, Fenix or JetBeam, just in case.

Valpo Hawkeye

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say a two-stage light like an L1 or A2. Both have clips so they can be clipped to a hat for handsfree use. The A2 puts out more first stage light than the L1, but the L1 runs seemingly forever on one cell on first stage. The A2 has a more useful high than the TIROS optic L1. I just received my A2 and I can vouch for the kudos thrown its way by so many other users here.

Spare batteries as also a must. A waterproof match carrier from wal-mart holds two 123's quite well. I also have the Pelican 1010 with 15 123's from www.batterystation.com . It's in my BOB. That's enough light for several days, if not weeks.

Long John

Flashlight Enthusiast
You need 2 Fenix P1D-CE. One for using, the other as spare cell carrier (and for the case, the first will fail).
A few spare cells extra can't be wrong.:)

Best regards

____
Tom

FireFighter05

Newly Enlightened
I carry a GI issue light (the right angle olive drab one) in my emergency pack. It is modded with a 3watt led and I also keep a spare nite ize (sp?) led in the tail cap for longer run time. I like it bc it uses readily available batteries (D cell) and is tried and true as far as being rugged and function. I also keep one of the "Shake lights" (one of the real ones that does not have batteries in it) in the bag. I also have a sf g2 in there for my bright n light.
Dave

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
For bright light and long runtime, something like the Dorcy 3D 1W. Not regulated but stays above 2000 cd for about 8 hours and puts out light for a lot longer than that. Add a water resistant plastic 2D light with the SMJLED PR bulbs (4 die type) or 2 for usable light for 150+ hours, and some spare D cells.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing many will forget, or not consider in a survival situation such as Katrina mentioned in the original post is that it is an urban environment during a natural or manmade catastrophe. Sub -Umbra aludes to it with his very low light selections, learned in part, or perhaps better said, reinforced by his own experiences in the said hurricane Katrinas aftermath.

This means that after dark, the predators will be coming out, no matter how much police and national guard you have posted. If you are caught in such a situation, the last thing you want to do is draw attention to yourself with blazing lights. There WILL be a lot more of them than you, and they will NOT hesitate to take any advantage to get whatever you have they want, and they WILL want anything you have, just because you have it and they do not.

Low light, low footprint lights such as Covert Photons, Inova X1s (old spotlight version), and even the more more powerful RR 1 and 2 AA lights with the spotlight type beams, will be some of your most useful lights in such a situation.

Just some more food for thought :).

fishx65

Enlightened
I agree that a headlamp would be the most important. EOS or Apex. I would also include a Pro-poly Lux for a hand held. I would also throw in a nice semi-auto 9mm!