Continued from here.

Quoted from first post in original thread:

***LATEST PHOTOS***

CHECKOUT MORE PHOTOS HERE FROM THIS CURRENT RUN
vv3-12.JPG

***********BEGIN*****ORIGINAL*****POST
PREORDERING NOW AVAILABLE AT THE LUMENCRAFT ONLINE STORE

**UPDATED PHOTOS**
Estimated shipping date is beginning of August. Please refer to project timeline/plan at the end of this thread

V3F2.JPG

V3F8.JPG

V3F9.JPG

**OLD THREAD**

We are glad to announce our next upcoming project, the GatLight V3. At its current state this light exists only as a CAD model. Updates to the status, design, specs. will also be updated in this first post.

Let us know your thoughts. If you guys like it as much as the V2, we'll make it a reality... comments...

Specifications

LED: Seoul P4 (240+ Lumen MFG claim)
OPTICS: narrow beam optics
BATTERY: 1 x 3V 123 Lithium Ion or 3V rechargeable (3.6V also work but you don't get lower brightness levels)
REGULATION: Constant Brightness Regulated (high efficiency driver)
MULTIPLE BRIGHTNESS LEVELS: Turning the knob in the back increases brightess.
CLICKY SWITCH TO TURN LIGHT ON/OFF
Body: REAL CARBON FIBER SLEEVE WITH COSMETIC WEAVE (as seen in the renderings below)
METAL PARTS: 6AL4 Titanium (Tuxedo version contains black HA AL parts, however 6AL4 Titanium bars.
PRICE: We are shooting for a similar price range as the V2... $250-$300
QUANTITY: limited initially probably 25 lights/month...
WATER SEALING: most likely submersibly water proof
ETA: probably 2 months after we decided to go into production (which we hope is soon).
Length: 3.4 inches
Diameter. 1.25 inches

Eye Candy

v3-02.jpg

v3colors3.jpg

boxx1.jpg

Difference to the GatLight V2
The V3 will be
-brighter (Seoul P4 (250 Lumen instead of Luxeon 3 or K2 - 90-120 Lumen LED all MFG-Claims)
-lighter (you will notice comparing to a V2 there is a lot less metal now)
-more efficient (as a result of the better LED)
-the screws in the back are now exposed as well (in the V2 they were covered) (just looks better :naughty: )
-Carbon Fiber (protects the battery, is lightweight and looks stunning.
-Lumencraft Logo on the knob & probably serial number
-the brightness control will be that you only turn the knob a little bit and the light will come on (with the V2 you have to turn the knob quite a bit more)
-Length is the same as the V2
-Diameter of the V3 is a tiny bit larger (3mm) which allowed us to remove the battery lid in the back and expose the screws.
-The driver will be ideally suited for 123 primary lithiums 3V or 3V rechargeables.
-The look is simpler... since we removed one of the center rings

Company Changes
it looks like beginning of next year (January) we'll take the step from being a home garage operation to a more professional setting with company space...in the L.A area. We'll be partnering up/sharing resources with a cutting edge space flight company. They build complex actuators and other parts for space missions. We believe that this setting provides us access to knowledge and resources to execute the many flashlight related ideas we have. Besides the area we will be in is packed with aerospace machine shops and resources.

At the same time this aerospace company setting allows us to provide better support, faster service and delivery of future lights. Most likely the people building your future Lumencraft lights are the same ones building multi million dollar machinery that flies to space, mars and beyond...

We are excited about the possibilities this cooperation holds for us and also for you guys. Still a couple of if's and than's to figure out but that's the direction we're going. The V2 was home office/garage operation... the V3 will be coming from a professinoal aerospace setting.

Let us know your thoughts, comments, questions... also if you'd be interested in one of these.

An other design study/possibility
v3-b5.jpg

v3-b6.jpg

v3-b4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dmdrewitt

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the screw on my V3 has already loosen, which hexagon size should I get to tightent it. I have the 1.5mm but it did not fit.

1/16" Hex is what you need.

This one was recommended by McGizmo and fits perfectly ;)

MIP Thorp 1/16 Hex Driver, Hardened Steel Tip

(I ordered mine on ebay)

David

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys.... sorry we've been a bit quiet... around here... but no worries we'll be back in a little while...

Regarding Popular Mechanics, the light will be featured in their February Print Edition hitting news stands beginning of January - so a couple of days.

We did not call popular mechanics, they called us... the reason we did not call popular science and others (wired magazine has been wanting to get their hands on one for a while too) is because we're out of stock... well we have a few Tuxedo units left... TI's are all gone... and in January there will be 8 Mio. people reading in Popular Mechanics about the GatLight... having such an enormous exposure while not having any units in stock (other then the couple Tuxedos) is kind of unfortunate... but we couldn't resist... at least we now know that the light survives multiple high speed pitches against a concrete wall LOL

So when we found out about the PM article we were thinking about doing another run... but then something better (actually the best possible thing we could have imagined) started to develop and might even happen - can't say much much other then if it will happen it's like shooting the GatLight into marketing orbit without giving up the things that make it special like limited availability etc.
Better get ready for this next run.... and keep your fingers crossed...

Data

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys.... sorry we've been a bit quiet... around here... but no worries we'll be back in a little while...

Regarding Popular Mechanics, the light will be featured in their February Print Edition hitting news stands beginning of January - so a couple of days.

We did not call popular mechanics, they called us... the reason we did not call popular science and others (wired magazine has been wanting to get their hands on one for a while too) is because we're out of stock... well we have a few Tuxedo units left... TI's are all gone... and in January there will be 8 Mio. people reading in Popular Mechanics about the GatLight... having such an enormous exposure while not having any units in stock (other then the couple Tuxedos) is kind of unfortunate... but we couldn't resist... at least we now know that the light survives multiple high speed pitches against a concrete wall LOL

So when we found out about the PM article we were thinking about doing another run... but then something better (actually the best possible thing we could have imagined) started to develop and might even happen - can't say much much other then if it will happen it's like shooting the GatLight into marketing orbit without giving up the things that make it special like limited availability etc.
Better get ready for this next run.... and keep your fingers crossed...

Congratulations Walter! This is great news. I will be keeping on the lookout for the mag. :twothumbs

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Hello!

All i could say, you are making a great work. Your lights are awesome.

I have an V3 Tuxedo. And it will be my favorite for all time...:twothumbs

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congratulations Walter! This is great news. I will be keeping on the lookout for the mag. :twothumbs

Yeah we could call it Matlight or GatLite lol however we'd have to revert some of the innovations to not make too much a quantum leap from where they currently are lol

mobile1

Flashlight Enthusiast
well thats still open... likely we will do another light first... but you'll find some elements of the polaris there as well... :) I'll likely post some renderings soon....