Playing with blu-ray laser pointer

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Out of curiosity I aimed my blu-ray pointer at a CRT tv set and it caused a bright greenish-blue glow. Inspecting the glowing phosphors up close I found that the blu-ray wavelength produces a strong fluorescent response in the CRT's green phosphors, a moderate response in the blue phosphors and no response at all in the red phosphors.

I've also found that it creates a striking but brief reddish-orange phosphorescent (after-glow) response in a rock that I have yet to identify.

If you have one of these violet laser pointers, aim it at some rocks and see if you get a response.

Yeah, I'm easily amused. :)

Last edited:

norman$

Newly Enlightened
I've also found that it creates a striking but brief reddish-orange phosphorescent (after-glow) response in a rock that I have yet to identify.

If you have one of these violet laser pointers, aim it at some rocks and see if you get a response.

I've also used one of these guys for gemological purposes- stones having chromium as a chromophore fluoresce nicely.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
It glows for about a half second after exposure. I also have some switchplates (like, on wall switches for the lights) that glow for some reason, although they weren't designed to do so. Also, if you have any glow-in-the-dark items, 405nm will charge it up nice and fast.

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
Wow, so peanut butter has a phosphorescent compound! I'm going to have to try that sometime. It seems that a blu-ray laser can charge things up more aggressively than a regular fluorescent blacklight bulb, and thus it tends to reveal some weaker sources of phosphorescence. It opens up a whole new range of materials to test with it.
:huh:

Of course this raises the big question: chunky or creamy?

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally tried it on some creamy, but I can't imagine chunky being that much different. Get whatever kind you like best!

Also, if you can ever find them, I use yellow-lensed goggles to block 405nm and 445nm, they are great for picking up fluorescence because you don't see the 405nm, but you do see whatever wavelengths it gets converted to.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
:dedhorse:
Out of curiosity I aimed my blu-ray pointer at a CRT tv set and it caused a bright greenish-blue glow. Inspecting the glowing phosphors up close I found that the blu-ray wavelength produces a strong fluorescent response in the CRT's green phosphors, a moderate response in the blue phosphors and no response at all in the red phosphors.

Yeah, I'm easily amused. :)

yeah, i know, beatn a dead horse on a dead thread,,,,, BUT i have quit a bit of exp w/ the so called "blacklight" or UV lasers.... try scoping out some diamonds art a low end jewelry store and have some fun, letting them know, if they don't fluoresces, they are ether cheap or fake even! lmao. i always bring mine when diamond shopping! ;) i also use it for picking out the best in GITD materials, weather or not teeth are clean, and they do a great job at finding that small lost thing on the floor (IF it fluoresces.) they do well on the GITD Cryaola boards, and i often use it to charge any other GITD items before i leave home.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that the amount of fluorescense in a diamond isn't in itself an indication of fake vs. real, but more an indication of purity. Natural diamonds will vary much more than lab ones. Of course, I'm sure high-end stores would use that as one of the criteria for picking cleaner, more pure diamonds. You don't want diamonds fluorescing cloudy blue on a sunny day...

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe that the amount of fluorescense in a diamond isn't in itself an indication of fake vs. real, but more an indication of purity. Natural diamonds will vary much more than lab ones. Of course, I'm sure high-end stores would use that as one of the criteria for picking cleaner, more pure diamonds. You don't want diamonds fluorescing cloudy blue on a sunny day...

to an extent this is true, but also look at the Hope Diamond.... when exposed to UV for a few mins, it then glows a deep red/maroon color for a short time in the dark afterward.... and it's the most valuable diamond to date.

Longwinters

Newly Enlightened
Isn't that because of it's size?
to an extent this is true, but also look at the Hope Diamond.... when exposed to UV for a few mins, it then glows a deep red/maroon color for a short time in the dark afterward.... and it's the most valuable diamond to date.

jspeybro

Enlightened
I shone UV on green Pistachio nuts - they fluoresce Red - no afterglow.
fluorescence is an effect that happens on a nanosecond scale which we percieve as instantanious since our eyes have a rather slow reaction time (quarter of a second), while phosorescence happens much slower so it can be percieved as an afterglow depending on the material and is often less intense.

many food products (like nuts) show natural fluorescence but little show a phosphorescence effect.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
red postage ink is fluorescent, and those colored stickers that you sometimes find on boxes after you ship them, those are too. Some of my lightswitch covers in my apartment are phosphorescent, although not by design.