Mini Mag extensions

DrSwiger

Newly Enlightened
Anyone doing MiniMag extensions to 4 or 5AA just for the coolness factor?

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't believe anyone was... but it's a fairly interesting idea.

The ticket would be to not pass AAs through the junction: Thread the extension (a cut-down LED minimag body, probably) internally, and have a nipple screw into both, with a plastic bushing inside, and a floating brass conductor inside that. Of course now your light has to come apart two places to change batteries, so not too practical, but it would have a certain "coolness factor". Not sure what you'd do in a minimag that you'd need 4xAA for, though -- I guess getting a bit more runtime.

EDIT: or just put in spacer tubes and convert the light to 5xAAA -- but again, no practical benefit, may as well just keep it 2xAA and make a 5" long solid tailcap. :D

Last edited:

DrSwiger

Newly Enlightened
I can see it not being to practical, but seriously, is any of this?

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ticket would be to not pass AAs through the junction: Thread the extension (a cut-down LED minimag body, probably) internally, and have a nipple screw into both, with a plastic bushing inside, and a floating brass
It is possible to make a slimmer and short dummy to place between 2nd and 3rd cells but it will take some extra space and make the length even longer.
I had this idea to make a 3AA Mini M*g and Strion bulb long ago but replacing batteries would make it impractical.

I can see it not being to practical, but seriously, is any of this?
It is absolutely possible to make such a body (3AA, 4AA, 5AA) from scratch.

Why not using a pair of P14500 or IMR 14500 in 2AA Mini M*g?

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
There is not enough material to make this doable and if doable, not durable.

I don't believe anyone was... but it's a fairly interesting idea.

The ticket would be to not pass AAs through the junction: Thread the extension (a cut-down LED minimag body, probably) internally, and have a nipple screw into both, with a plastic bushing inside, and a floating brass conductor inside that. Of course now your light has to come apart two places to change batteries, so not too practical, but it would have a certain "coolness factor". Not sure what you'd do in a minimag that you'd need 4xAA for, though -- I guess getting a bit more runtime.

EDIT: or just put in spacer tubes and convert the light to 5xAAA -- but again, no practical benefit, may as well just keep it 2xAA and make a 5" long solid tailcap. :D

As Benson observes, it is quite possible to make a AA Mini Mag extension in exactly the way he describes. See here. And as FM points out, if you simply cut threads, the extension probably won't be very durable.