Challenge: CPF "Junkyard wars", Episode 1

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
Let's say you are allowed one emitter of your choice, one driver/resistor, the proper complement of batteries, and all the stranded insulated copper wire you desire.

You have no other flashlight parts (springs, contacts, o-rings, lenses, reflectors, threaded bodies, etc.) and no parts from other electronic devices, that are similar to a flashlight, or made for electronics devices. You do not have access to a mill or lathe.

Now go make a reliable flashlight from spare objects from around your house.
  • The batteries must be replaceable by hand only (no soldering iron to disconnect the batteries, or tools to open the flashlight).
  • The flashlight must be able to be turned on/off without disassembly.
  • It must run for at least a half hour, and not pose a hand scalding/fire hazard.
  • It should be water resistant.
  • Post pictures and a description of how it was built and how it is to be used. Movies welcome!
I suppose with the ice storms and subsequent power failures this past week, some of you may have gotten a head start.

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
myk said:
Does the battery have to be removable if its rechargable without removal?

Well that's how some production flashlights are made, so I would say it's fair. :grin2:

Don't forget to make a charging cradle. :naughty:

Last edited:

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
vinsanity286 said:
Hmmm... sounds interesting. Can you use switches from a non flashlight device?

No, that would be too easy.

I can picture somebody wiring a circuit and then spoooging hot melt all over it. How fair would that be? ;)

myk

Enlightened
EngrPaul said:
Well that's how some production flashlights are made, so I would say it's fair. :grin2:

Don't forget to make a charging cradle. :naughty:

I'm also partially confused about
no parts from other electronic devices, that are similar to a flashlight, or made for electronics devices

i understand not being able to use parts from something similar to a flashlight, but no other parts of anything electronic?

Im going to PM you my idea and let you tell me if it would be allowed or not =)

either way im going to build it though =)

EngrPaul

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would be interested in seeing just about anything people can cook up, but the more skills shown toward using everyday items to fashion a flashlight, the better.

CPF'ers display wonderful feats of imagination and resourcefulness. I don't doubt we can see some remarkable and humorous creations here.

I have to go on an unscheduled business trip for a few days, so I won't be available to answer questions.

Have fun, and try not to raid too many personal hygiene items from other family members ;)