Brightest LED This Newbie's Seen (Yet) -- Pics

• Thread starter **DONOTDELETE**
  • Start date
D

**DONOTDELETE**

Brightest LED This Newbie\'s Seen (Yet) -- Pics

Just got hold of one of ElektroLumens' Luxeon Star MagLites (3Cs in a 2D) and compared to what I've been dabbling in up till now, I simply cannot believe how bright this thing is. Wayne did not install ANY resistors/circuits in it at all ("direct drive"?), and I simply cannot believe how BRIGHT this thin -- uh, did I say that already?

Here is a beamshot 24 inches from the wall next to a LightWave 4000 (on the left), which was the brightest LED I had ever actually experienced in person up to this point, and below it is a LightWave 3000, also on the left:
shoebox.msnw

Then the Dorcy Cool Blue on the left followed by the Photon II/white, also on the left (sorry, by this time I had run out of LEDs to compare with):
shoebox.msnw

I began to feel that this wasn't a fair fight, all those little LEDs bullied around by the powerful Luxeon Star, so I put it up against two of the biggest, baddest xenon incandescents I had handy. I wanted to capture some or all of the incandescent beam "corona" and not just the hotspot, so I had to move the lights in close, to within 8 inches of the wall for lack of wall space (dang pictures and stuff my wife likes to put up all over) -- so in the next pic on the right is a MagLite 4D with RS xenon bulb at tightest focus, followed by a "50,000 candlepower" Hubbel(Pelican?) 3003-C, also on the right:
shoebox.msnw

I wonder how long this 3C LS conversion will hold up, battery- as well as LED-wise...I guess time will tell.

Well, this is all I have right now -- there is another super LED light, probably even brighter, being evaluated as part of an on-the-job thing (I'm an LEO) to which I will have photography access soon -- and then we'll see how Wayne's bad boy stacks up.

Thanks Wayne, for providing this fabulous unit...

(*note - if the pictures do not appear above, here are the direct links):
http://communities.msn.com/e5qmoda/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=83
http://communities.msn.com/e5qmoda/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=84
http://communities.msn.com/e5qmoda/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=85

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Brightest LED This Newbie\'s Seen (Yet) -- Pics

Wayne, BigH, JR,

Yeah I knew my old Mavica FD-81 would be good for something one day, so I hung onto it.

Thanks again for letting me experience this light, Wayne. I've been hesitant to just Leave it on since I know it's being overdriven, but with the copious heatsinking mebbe I'll eventually work up the nerve.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:
Wayne, BigH, JR,

Yeah I knew my old Mavica FD-81 would be good for something one day, so I hung onto it.

Thanks again for letting me experience this light, Wayne. I've been hesitant to just Leave it on since I know it's being overdriven, but with the copious heatsinking mebbe I'll eventually work up the nerve.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luxeon.Mag.3C.1.jpg

Hello Mr Bulk,

Well, somebody's got to try it sometime. Go ahead and leave it on. If it fries, I'll replace the Luxeon Star!

According to Lamda, there shouldn't be any problem. Also, I have one I'm driving just as hard, using Lithium batteries, with no problems yet.

Wayne www.elektrolumens.com
grin.gif

D

**DONOTDELETE**

It is ON as of right now...

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MR Bulk™:
It is ON as of right now...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Great! Anymore, I don't usually keep one on hand long enough to do a battery test. I promised one to Craig (LED Museum), which I hope to send by Monday, for his review.

Wayne
Luxeon Star
grin.gif

lambda

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElektroLumens:
Hello Mr Bulk,

Glad you like the flashlight. Nice beamshot photos!

Now Lamda's gonna say, "See, I told ya so, sooner or later he's going to go direct drive!"
shocked.gif

grin.gif
rolleyes.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See, I told ya so, sooner or later he's going to go direct drive!
grin.gif

Just had to add that; sometimes I can see the furture.....
tongue.gif

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lambda:
See, I told ya so, sooner or later he's going to go direct drive!
grin.gif

Just had to add that; sometimes I can see the furture.....
tongue.gif
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Lamda,

I knew you couldn't resist saying that!
grin.gif

Yup, I knew it too! If I sell them with no resistance, for now, I will not guarantee them, except for Mr Bulk, as he is testing this out. As a L.E.O. he will get good use out of it, I'm sure.

Even at 1 ohm resistance, it is seriously overdriven, but at zero ohms resistance, it is extremely seriously overdriven. Well, we'll see.

Craig will get one too, except he get gets one for free.
wink.gif

dat2zip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nothing beats the 2D 3C Mag lights of what I have modded or own.

The red orange LS in one of these is my brightest one of all.

Overdrive, Overdrive, Overdrive...

Let's all chant now...

Overdrive, Overdrive, Overdrive...

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Been almost four hours since I turned it on and left it on -- so I took it and my LW4000 into the "darkroom" (it's daytime in Hawaii as I write this) and it still outshines the 4000 by the same margin like in the earlier picture. Entire flashlight including head and casing is very slightly, and also consistently, warm all over, except for a slight drop off near the tailcap. Good heatsinking.

And the beat goes on...

springnr

Enlightened

...Entire flashlight including head and casing is very slightly, and also consistently, warm all over, except for a slight drop off near the tailcap. Good heatsinking.

And the beat goes on...
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Charlie, bulk that sucker. :^D

Imagine how hard you could overdrive that Luxeon with a little co2 cooling. Keith

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by springnr:
Charlie, bulk that sucker. :^D

Imagine how hard you could overdrive that Luxeon with a little co2 cooling. Keith
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha ha ha ha ha!

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice pics Mr. Bulk!

Impressive output from the LS!!!
shocked.gif

Aloha

JollyRoger

Enlightened

Nice work, Wayne (as usual). Good photos, and glad to hear you like the light, MrBulk!

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here it is at 25 hours (LW4000 with fresh batteries on Right):
http://communities.msn.com/e5qmoda/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=86

But that's not to say the light isn't still very usable (light is about 14 inches away, note glare from still-bright hotspot):
http://communities.msn.com/e5qmoda/shoebox.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=87
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Mr Bulk,

I's sure like to see those pics, but I cannot bring up the images. Not sure what's wrong. You can include the images directly into the post by using the 'IMAGE' button, and entering the exact http:// location.

shocked.gif

Luxeon.Mag.3C.1.jpg

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Wayne,

BIIIG problem just today -- my computer crashed (musta been that virus going around) and I had to reload everything -- glad I was just able to get back on this site plus restore my e-mail. Yeah anyway I can't get my pics to come up even directly on that site of mine. Thumbnails load just fine, but when I click on them to see the big pics, nothing. Oh well, gotta find a new site, I guess.

ElektroLumens

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wayne,

BIIIG problem just today -- my computer crashed (musta been that virus going around) and I had to reload everything -- glad I was just able to get back on this site plus restore my e-mail. Yeah anyway I can't get my pics to come up even directly on that site of mine. Thumbnails load just fine, but when I click on them to see the big pics, nothing. Oh well, gotta find a new site, I guess.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bumber about your computer crashing.
shocked.gif
If you like, you can email me the photos and I can put them on my web site, and you can link to them there in your post.

Wayne

D

**DONOTDELETE**

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ElektroLumens:

Bumber about your computer crashing.
shocked.gif
If you like, you can email me the photos and I can put them on my web site, and you can link to them there in your post.

Wayne
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I CAN'T! Lost it all, will have to take yet another picture (except now it'd be at the 40-hour mark (still HIGHLY usable light BTW). It's about 2 a.m. here now, so I'll have to get something to you tomorrow (when it'll be like 50 hours)!

Say, waitaminute - I may have the floppies from the Mavica -- if I find that I still have those I'll e-mail them to you.