RCR123 rechargeable for an Inova X5?

midget

Enlightened
Hey, I did a few searches but found information that was pretty old -- I was wondering if there is any new information that anyone would like to share on the matter..

I have a few Inova X5's that I have around as utility lights. One of them is mounted on my bike as a bike light.

I am wondering if the X5's would be able to handle two RCR123a's without a :poof: .

Currently, I'm running x1 RCR w/ a dummy cell -- it is reasonably bright and all, but not nearly as bright as x2 primary cell output.

I know the X5 is manufacturer spec'd at 6V and that there isn't any regulation -- it's just a resister inside?

But I've also heard that the X5 is a pretty rugged light, inside and out. I'm wondering how much it can handle being overdriven with x2 RCRs... the RCR outputs 4.2V right? So we're talking 8.4V compared to the rate 6V rating...

Any experiences, comments, or suggestions?

gunga

Flashaholic
I used to use a 17670 when I had an x5. Worked quite well and did not overdrive the LEDs. I think they just have a resistor, so 8.4v may not instantly fry the light, but could shorten led life quickly.

midget

Enlightened
I used to use a 17670 when I had an x5. Worked quite well and did not overdrive the LEDs. I think they just have a resistor, so 8.4v may not instantly fry the light, but could shorten led life quickly.

what 17670 did you use to fit? i have some trustfire ones but they are too wide to fit the tube.