recommendation for rear light

Redeeman

Newly Enlightened
Hello.

I was wondering if anyone can come with a good recommendation for a rear light, i think something that blinks would be preferred as it is legal in my country, and generally people claim to be able to notice it more.

rac

Newly Enlightened
I've been using the Cateye TL-LD1100 for a couple of years. Very good visibility from what people are telling me, decent battery life (the 50 hours in the specs sound about right) and it's versatile: the two rows are independently controlled, so you can even set one to continuous and one to blink for better visibility. I can't comment on how well it handles water since I've only ridden it in the rain 10 times or so (it worked fine).​

Savvas

Enlightened
Redeeman,

Have a look at the rear light thread(s) from 2011-12. Lots of informed discussion and recommendations there regarding upper-end rear lights. As well as dynamo lights, I use DesignShine, the Super Flash, a Tioga 'twin eye' (excellent budget light), a tiny Exposure Flash and the outstanding Niteflux Red Zone 4. All are great rear lights - it just depends on how much you want to spend. Even the Magicshine rear tail light works well and can be good value from the right supplier.

Savvas

Bobblehat

Newly Enlightened
Another vote for the Cateye TL-LD1100 especially if you going to use it a lot on the road. Not blindingly bright, but brighter than many and has a big "illuminated area" and very good brightness from all angles around to and beyond 90 degrees to the rear. Proved totally rain proof enough for Northern English weather over several years now and decent run time on 2 x AA Nimhs.

Cateye importer in UK gave excellent service when I fumbled one of the two I have from about 5 feet high onto concrete, cracking the removeable end cap. I thought I'd have to either write it off or just use it in fine weather (i.e. hardly ever!), but Zyro sent me a "non-stock item" end cap (i.e. from an odds and ends box) for just £3 inc postage, even though the part is not officially a spares item. That sort of service is what you want from a dealer/importer.

The size, shape and lumpy bits have affectionately earned it the nickname of "The Holy Hand Grenade (of Cateye)".

znomit

Enlightened
Another vote for the Cateye TL-LD1100 ...
The size, shape and lumpy bits have affectionately earned it the nickname of "The Holy Hand Grenade (of Cateye)".

I always called it the pickle.

Have upgraded mine to the reflex auto which while not as bright on axis, has a larger area, more noticeable flash, built in reflector and turns itself on and off as needed.
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/TL-LD570-R/

Bobblehat

Newly Enlightened
I always called it the pickle.

Have upgraded mine to the reflex auto which while not as bright on axis, has a larger area, more noticeable flash, built in reflector and turns itself on and off as needed.
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/TL-LD570-R/

The Pickle! Like it.

That new light seems to tick all the boxes ... I know what to look at if my HHG's get stolen or smashed. Thanks for the heads-up ... love to hear more of your opinion on it.

Just spotted this:-

http://202.215.251.86/data/resources/safety_lights_Mar25.pdf

If the diagrams are honest then I hope my HHG's last a long time!

Last edited:

CPFBiology

Enlightened
One Olight M20 Crimson and one Dinotte 300R combined.

Maybe a Superflash Turbo or two in addition to the others.

Magic socks

Newly Enlightened
I got Exposure Flare Rear Light
very bright and very small and affordable.

(c&p)

* 75 lumens
* 1 x Seoul P4 LED
* Continuous 9 hrs / Flash 22 hrs (disposable batteries)
* Continuous 3 hrs / Flash 8 hrs (re-chargeable batteries)
* Weight: 44g

Also look at magicshine rear

Seen IRL Dinotte 300R*if you got the $$ ££ very bright can blind other bike riders.

Last edited:

Thomas

Newly Enlightened
The brightest single led taillight by Serfas is the USL-TL60 The Shield USB Taillight. Details are as follows:

Produces 60 Lumens
USB Rechargeable (3 hour charge time)
Charge Indicator Lights
Rack Compatable
Backpack Clip included
Over 1 Mile of visibility
4 modes: High, Low, High Flash, Low Flash
Run Times: (60 lumens = 2.4 hours; 35 lumens =5 hours; 60 lumens flashing = 4.5 hours; 35 lumens flashing = 14 hours)
Weight: 73.5 grams w/ bracket

ttoshi

Newly Enlightened
I use the Cateye LD-650/610/600. The other most popular light I see is the Planet Bike Superflash.

Toshi

Maximus_XXIV

Newly Enlightened
I have a few of the Magic shines which I really like. They use the same batteries as my headlight and can be had for under $30 without the battery. I think they are brighter than most lights too.

PeDDeR27

Newly Enlightened
My personal favorite is the Knog USB Boomer Rear. Very bright, easy install and removal, and has some attention-grabbing flash modes. Can be had for around $30-$40. A lot of people don't like Knog because those puny little Beatle lights they sell give them a bad name.

dgbrookman

Newly Enlightened
You've gotten some good recommendations for bright, high performance lights. I use a Portland Design Works "Danger Zone" but the others recommended are fine. You might also want to keep a Planet Bike Blinky permanently mounted on the bike. Although it's not as bright as the others, it's good to have for those occasions when you're caught after dark unprepared.

Keep in mind that most front and rear lights don't give a lot of visibility from the side. The NiteIze SpokeLit is good for side visibility.

garbman

Newly Enlightened
Dinotte 400R period
The best, brightest (except the Designshine) and one of the priciest too.
Very well built.
Crazy bright.
Top notch service from the company.
If you want to be seen from miles away this is the light you must have.

lampeDépêche

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the ZL H51r, which is about 100 lumens of red light, and pretty awesome. It is also very easy to attach to the seat-stays or a rack with cable-ties. In the day time, on blinky mode, I know that cars are going to see me. (At night I switch to constant mode).

As much as I like my ZL, I must say that I think a slightly better bargain is the 2w Cygolight Hotshot. It's half the price, and puts out almost as much light. More blinky options. Plus, it has a nice internal battery that recharges off a mini-USB, and lasts longer than the AA's in my ZL.

I think a pair of those is a better use of 64 bucks than a single ZL. But both are great.

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everyone here will have a different opinion by my choice is a flea on the helmet (steady) with a Blackburn Mars 3.0 strobing on my seatpost. Ive found cars exceptionally cognescent of my presence with this Combo.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

ttoshi

Newly Enlightened
Dinotte 400R period
The best, brightest (except the Designshine) and one of the priciest too.
Very well built.
Crazy bright.
Top notch service from the company.
If you want to be seen from miles away this is the light you must have.

That light is blindingly bright. I followed someone from 20 feet back and couldn't even glance at it. Good for visibility, but bad for group riding. It's bright enough to be a good daytime light...

Toshi

GRAVELBIKE

Newly Enlightened
I currently run a PDW Radbot 1000 mounted to the left rear drop out, and a Princeton Tec Swerve clipped to my Carradice saddlebag. I was using a Dinotte tail light, but my current commuter doesn't have a good place for Dinotte's o-ring mount.

Here's the Radbot:

One bolt (M5 x 30) holds the light and left-hand fender stay.