help with 2d cell led maglite

psandherr

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys i just bought a Maglite 2d cell led and i was wondering if there were any cool mods i could do to it that are easy for a beginner and not expensive

yazovyet

Enlightened
Define 'not expensive'. In the 50-60 dollar area you can do a nice XM-L mod. You could do drop ins (like malkoff) that are easier and (depending on what drop in) cheaper and work out nicely too.

psandherr

Newly Enlightened
Define 'not expensive'. In the 50-60 dollar area you can do a nice XM-L mod. You could do drop ins (like malkoff) that are easier and (depending on what drop in) cheaper and work out nicely too.

This drop in is a good price http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop/2d-cell-dropin-to-fit-maglite-p-2.html but will i notice a big difference from my standard Led. How many luemens will i get with this drop in?

also 50-60 would be pushing my price range i would prefer under 30 dollars but if it is cool enough i would consider it

Last edited:

yazovyet

Enlightened
from their website:
"This dropin produces a real 240(measured out the front) lumens in a 2D light with alkaline batteries." I would guess that means it would put out around 300 L from the emitter. Emitter lumens are wht most people tend to talk about since they are easier to calculate (and higher so it looks more powerful).

I did a 2D mag into an XM-L powered by 6 AA batteries, I like it quite a bit. But doubleing your price budget seems a little much.
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?319319-2D-mag-modded-to-6AA-XM-L
There are better guides that skip less steps for most of the general mag moding stuff than that, but that is my experience.
Some one did a nice mod to a 2D where you put 3C cells in it, otherwise teh same effect as mine but different batter useage.

What is teh serial lnumber on your maglite? It can be found onthe side near the switch.

think2x

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys i just bought a Maglite 2d cell led and i was wondering if there were any cool mods i could do to it that are easy for a beginner and not expensive

If the serial number on your maglite starts with a "DL" instead of just a "D" then a drop-in won't work. You will need to start with an incandescent Maglite to use a drop-in.

Last edited: