XPG lights from Cabela's

Snow

Enlightened
Well yesterday Cabela's was having a huge sale and my girlfriend's father has been wanting a gun case for his revolver, so I went up there to see what I could get. Naturally, I stopped in to the flashlight section to look at the SureFires. I also looked at the Cabela's brand lights, many of which are exact clones of SureFires.

They had XPG turboheads as well, which were on sale. I ended up getting a 9V turbohead for $15 and putting it on my G2 with 2 AW RCR123As and I am impressed with the result. It puts a huge spot of light pretty far out there. I don't have any other turbohead lights, but I was definitely wowed. I expected a lot of throw, but it also has plenty of bright spill. The tint of the beam is very white as well. Very nice. I've seen one thread on here in the past about these, but I wanted to let you guys know that they may be on sale at your local store and they are worth checking out.

Also, I have one question for mdocod or anyone who can answer. Would I see an increase in brightness on this head if I switched to IMR cells? I am wanting to build a 2xIMR1634 light in the 200+ lumen range but I am still unsure about the properties of the cells. I have perused the compatibility chart, but I feel like understanding of the basic principles behind batteries and lamps eludes me, so I don't want to ruin anything. Any answers are appreciated.:wave:

Snow

Enlightened
Cool, thanks for the info. I figured it would be a good idea to switch to IMR even if it doesn't make a difference in brightness. I want to get some anyway for use with the new IMR lamps from Lumens Factory. :thumbsup:

mdocod

Flashaholic
The XPG turbohead is a re-badge of the mini-turbohead found on the G&P "X" series (X-6, X-9, X-12; 2, 3, and 4 CR123 powered respectively). They never really caught on as being super popular for various reasons but they are a nice balance of size and throwing power. The "D36" standard became much more popular as it was found in the Wolf-Eyes and Pila flashlights, and then LumensFactory came along and made after-market lamps for those... The G&P implementation of the mini-turbo had one major failure, and that was the near complete lack of easy to find replacement bulbs for them. They take a bulb and bulb base very similar to the "screw in" style found on most of the G&P/etc(spiderfire/ultrafire/superfire/xpg etc) D26 style lamps, but the bulb position has to be slightly different to focus properly in the larger turbo reflector. With no cost effective way to replace the bulbs in these, they just didn't stand a chance against other options. The only way to replace the bulb at this time seems to be to just buy a whole new head... If you could always get the whole head for $15 then that would be fine, but they are normally a fair bit more expensive than that, which makes it a little hard to justify... The "X" series from G&P are harder and harder to find lately too, the scorpion style li-ion powered turbo-head lights seem to have almost completely replaced them in most resellers inventory.

Just for the sake of example, I'll throw this link in to one of the more modern revisions of the old "X" series lights. This should be using the same bulb style that your turbohead uses, just a different external head design... (this sold under the spiderfire name, which all seems to be under the "G&P/related" umbrella.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/Spiderfire-X-02...hash=item280279084377&_trksid=p3286.m63.l1177

These mini-turbo heads from G&P draw ~1.2-1.4A depending on the various revision of the bulb... There were variations over the years but they were all essentially the same concept and same ballpark of output. This load is within reason leaning on a little high for regular protected RCR123s. Safety shouldn't be an issue unless it is routinely used in a continuous run, ordinarily, flashlights are used in short bursts so it shouldn't be too bad. The IMR cells may give you a slightly noticeable increase in output/whiteness. More importantly, the IMR cells will give you much better cycle life and safety at this drain rate, so that alone would be worth the switch. The runtime wouldn't be much different as the IMR16340s come very close to the capacity of regular RCR123s in this size.

As for building a "200+" lumen light in this size... Keep in mind that as far as bulb lumens are concerned, your XPG mini-turbo head is already probably up around 200 bulb lumens, or around 125 torch lumens, (give or take).. Exact numbers are so far from being important as you really can't see small difference anyways.... but an upgrade to a true solid 200 "torch" lumens would probably be something slightly noticeable... The issue is going to be, that most of the options that have a solid 200+ torch lumens, are either available in the D26 size class, or you have to move up to a full blown 2.5" surefire turbohead (KT2).... When you start to throw in differences in beam pattern, lumen differences don't show up as each light has certain strengths. I am not supposed to say anything but I'm going to leak this in a way that is the least likely to get me in trouble and hide it in the middle of this long paragraph so as not to draw too much attention: There is a company out there somewhere that is possibly maybe working on a D36 adapter head/bezel that would be compatible with SureFire "C" style head threads. I have no information about when or where or who and am not going to speak on this further.... except to say that there are a number of neat options that pop up with this on the table, Like running an EO-9L on a pair of IMR16340 cells. It's an option you might want to keep in mind for the future if it ever comes to bear fruit :)

If you don't mind a KT2 kit for your light, which is a pretty beefy turbohead, then it's a really neat setup and you can start to play with a ton of options, especially if you get a FM bi-pin to MN adapter. With that adapter you can play with a lot of bulbs, all the way up to a WA1111 or 64250 in a little 2x16340 host... Which is more like 400-500 torch lumens... but only for a few minutes on those cells, hehe... For that "200" torch lumen range, the GE787 (bi-pin) or HO-M3T (lumensfactory) are great options.

I hope that helps fill in some blanks for you... There's a lot of complexity in all of this, and I appreciate that you have already spent some time reading through the charts and guide before asking some questions. There is always more that can be said on just about any topic, and the guide, while long already, still doesn't cover everything.

Eric

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
I had the 12v version with the turbo head.180l then 220l with the turbo head
But like mdocod said you have to buy a whole new head to get a bulb. Also they eat a lot of 123 batteries. Very nice light and what I thought was a nice beam pattern.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Question: are replacement bulbs for the XPG heads available from G&P?

They might make them,... but it's often hard to find a reseller that carries them. The "X" mini-turbo series has been disappearing from most resellers along with the accessories for them like spare bulbs. I haven't looked real hard, but if you really wanted to try to find a source for them the best bet would be to search for airsoft suppliers that have a good flashlight selection.

Eric

Snow

Enlightened
Thanks for the helpful posts, guys. I have ordered some IMR 16340 cells and a LF HO-9 bulb for my next experiment. The KT-2 kit looks amazing, but it's too costly unless I sell a few lights.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waitasec - do these take commodity bi-pin bulbs?

If so, we have ourselves a turbo version of the Fivemega FM-26 adapter!

flashburn72

Newly Enlightened
does this help?

Originally Posted by Gunslinger1LA
Hi guys, I have this light in a different flavor. 12V xpg body with the Cabelas turbo head, here`s the kicker. Take apart the T head,remove reflector/lamp assembley. Now carefully unscrew the bulb/spring from the reflector.

Take a Lumens Factory HO-9, unscrew the bulb from its reflector. You guessed it , Screws right into the XPG turbo head. Reassemble your now 9V turbo head. Add 2x 17670 Li-ion batteries,you are done = FLASHENSTIEN/ poor mans rechargable SF M-4. 320 bulb lumens

FYI : The Cabelas XPG heads also fit Surefire C body lights if you need a little more punch for your 6/9 P or Z.

mdocod

Flashaholic
keep in mind that LF thread-locks most of their lamp assemblies, so removing them can be pretty difficult. Requires some good pliers to say the least.

ugrey

Enlightened
A new company now sells these lights. They are named DigiTec. A hot link is way over my pay grade and skill level so you will have to use google for yourself. I know it's hard but you can do it. One of you whiz kids can hot link to it for some of us old geezers. Thanks. The 9V and 12V bulbs are available by themselves. The 12V turbo head lamp assembly is $24 and the 9V LA is $20. The 12V TH is for a 227 lumen bulb and it is less than Surefire charges for any 200 lumen lamp assembly. To my Mark 1 eyeball it puts out an honest 220 lumens. I have both the 12V turbo head and a 12V lamp assembly that fits inside the standard SF P/C head, the Z44. They make for GREAT lights. I use one on a Leef 4 battery body and the other is on a SF 9P body with an extender. I use only primaries with them both. I just never got into rechargables. I have never understood why they were not more popular. A 12V light with a standard head fits perfectly into the long pocket of pair of painters pants or painters jeans (Wrangler). That is a great way to walk around with 200 lumens on you all the time. It has good throw AND is a wall of light. It is much cheaper than a SF M4. My turbo head model rides in my briefcase. It is the brightest, large light that will fit. My SF M4 won't fit. Several times I was awfully glad to have it with me. I call them 12P's, like a 6P or 9P. See my lights below. Try 'em you will like 'em.

Last edited:

USM0083

Enlightened
I picked up a 9V XPG Turbohead from Cabelas a couple of months ago. I'm very impressed by the output. In a Solarforce 18650 body + extender and running a pair of AW 18650s, a HO-9 is a about the same brightness, but the XPG head throws a bit further.

I tried the XPG head in a 6P with AW 16340s, with an extender and a pair of AW 17500, and the above mentioned Solarforce 18650 body, and it's much brighter on a pair of 18650s.

Last edited:

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, would a Lumens Factory HO-R5 screw into the reflector? Its compatible with the G&P R500 series lights and looks like it would work.

I have read that the threads will mate up, but the problem is if you are able to loosen the lumensfactory bulb from the reflector. I don't have any P60 lumensfactory dropins, so I can't verify unfortunately.

buickid

Enlightened
Ahh hmm. I know the P60-style bulbs will unscrew with a certain amount of difficulty, but I was wondering about the HO-R5, which is a screw-in replacement for the R500/WF-500 lights. No unscrewing required. :D

mdocod

Flashaholic
I doubt the threads and bulb position are the same. The HO-R5 is probably going to have a larger diameter threaded part.... but this is only a guess.