EagleTac SX25A6 XM-L U2 VS EagleTac SX25A6 XM-L T6

Miracle

Enlightened
EagleTac SX25A6 XM-L U2 VS EagleTac SX25A6 XM-L T6

What is the difference between the above 2 LED lights?

:candle:

Miracle

Enlightened
any advice/info is much appriciated b4 I make a purchase

Thank you much much

:/

Miracle

Enlightened
why does it says 1 is U2 and the other is T6?

are these 2 different LED light technology?

what is neutral?

what is cool white?

tallyram

Newly Enlightened
why does it says 1 is U2 and the other is T6?

are these 2 different LED light technology?

what is neutral?

what is cool white?

They are both XM-L's. The U2 is a higher output bin(about 7% brighter) and is cool white. The T6 is one output bin lower and is a neutral tint. Cool white usually has more of a blue to pure white tint. Neutrals usually have a more warm tint that renders colors better.

Last edited:

firelord777

Enlightened
Cool white is basically the standard white that may have a very slight blue tint to it. It is great for brightness, but not as good for color retention and details as neutral white. Neutral white preserves the true colors, so if something is red, you'll still see red. With cool white, the red will appear washed out and almost even purplish in my perspective. All my lights are cool white though, except my Fenix TK20 (awesome light, but to today standards outdated) and I LOVE the neutral white tint.

Some people just don't like neutral white though, perhaps because it looks like just a really bright incandescent flashlight. Cool white has that "modern" and "true LED" feel to it. Just boils down to what you want.

The difference in terms of output is negligible, I wouldn't pay attention to that if I were you.

Cheers

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Eagletac XMLU2 cool white is a really nice premium white bin. Their neutral white will have a slight yellowish tint. If you had to ask about the difference, then I recommend cool white when getting an Eagletac.

However, if it was another brand like Nitecore or Zebralight, then a neutral tint might be a good choice.

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
Eagletac XMLU2 cool white is a really nice premium white bin. Their neutral white will have a slight yellowish tint. If you had to ask about the difference, then I recommend cool white when getting an Eagletac.

However, if it was another brand like Nitecore or Zebralight, then a neutral tint might be a good choice.

Interesting... so is Eagletac's cool white closer to Nitecore's neutral than it is to their cool white?

I tend to prefer a little better colour rendering over absolute brightness, but it's not critical. I have just bought the neutral white EA4W and an LD41. While the EA4W does give better colours, the LD41 seems OK too, showing greens and reds quite nicely.

I was planning on getting the SX25A6 so if Eagletac's cool white is as above, then I'll go for that instead of their neutral.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting... so is Eagletac's cool white closer to Nitecore's neutral than it is to their cool white?

No, Eagletac's cool white is white. Nitecore's neutral is a little bit yellowish. Eagletac's neutral is more yellowish. This is observed with Eagletac's D25. Check out the thread.

It is just my opinion, but I'm saying Eagletac's neutral is a tad too yellow. Nitecore's neutral is not too yellow. Hence why so many people are pleased with the Nitecore EA4W.

TweakMDS

Enlightened

This is not necessarily true. I have an XM-L U2 from eagletac that's very, very cool white, almost blue, with a color temperature of around 6500K. I also have an extremely cool white XM-L T6 by the way, I think that one might even be pushing 7000K.

Also, the output bin (U2, T6 etc) doesn't necessarily say anything about the tint you will get. That's a different index and is usually not published.
However, when a manufacturer offers two different bins of the same led, it's safe to assume the lower one will be neutral white. Hard to choose if you don't see them side by side, but indoors, neutral white is MUCH nicer and a must in my opinion.

GordoJones88

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is not necessarily true. I have an XM-L U2 from eagletac that's very, very cool white, almost blue, with a color temperature of around 6500K. I also have an extremely cool white XM-L T6 by the way, I think that one might even be pushing 7000K.

Also, the output bin (U2, T6 etc) doesn't necessarily say anything about the tint you will get. That's a different index and is usually not published.
However, when a manufacturer offers two different bins of the same led, it's safe to assume the lower one will be neutral white. Hard to choose if you don't see them side by side, but indoors, neutral white is MUCH nicer and a must in my opinion.

I'm pretty sure the OP isn't a tint snob.

Last edited:

chenko

Enlightened
Pick the tint that suits you better. Difference in brightness is not perceivable.

TweakMDS

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure the OP isn't a tint snob.

You don't have to be a tint snob to have a preference, but I get what you mean.
I just wanted to clarify that the output bin (U2 vs T6) doesn't necessarily mean that it has anything to do with the tint / color temperature that the LED will show. It's only because both are offered in a new light that we can make this assumption.

FoxyRick

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the clarifications. I might wait until they are at retailers in the UK, then I can order the cool white and return it for the neutral if it turns out to be too much on the cool side. Much more expensive than getting one from the US, but not if I end up wanting to return it!

Part of my reasoning for neutral is that we get a lot of fog, mist, drizzle and generally 'muggy' weather on our hills.

vickers214

Enlightened
Thanks for the clarifications. I might wait until they are at retailers in the UK, then I can order the cool white and return it for the neutral if it turns out to be too much on the cool side. Much more expensive than getting one from the US, but not if I end up wanting to return it!

Part of my reasoning for neutral is that we get a lot of fog, mist, drizzle and generally 'muggy' weather on our hills.

I have ordered from US telling them I wanted to try it and when I didn't like it have returned goods for exchange before, and still worked out marginally cheaper

keenism

Newly Enlightened

Seconded, my g25c2 mII has the most perfectly white beam I've ever seen.