The anatomy of a Protected Battery

HKJ

Flashaholic
I had a dead 18650 battery and wanted to get some more out of it, this is the result:

[size=+3]The Anatomy of a Protected Battery[/size]
Most batteries has some build in protection, usual it is only a pressure valve, but some batteries needs more than that for protection, this is especially true for some LiIon batteries (LiCoO2). Here I have dissected a AW 18650 battery to see the extra protection.

DSC_8584.jpg

The battery is a 18650 battery, with this name it is supposed to be 18 mm in diameter and 65 mm long. These measurements do not fit reality completely, the battery is 18.4 mm in diameter and 67.4 mm long, the reason for the extra length and extra diameter will be obvious soon.

DSC_8564.jpg

The holes in the plus pole of the battery is the exhaust from the pressure valve in the battery, this can be seen on many types of batteries. Also hidden beneath the plus is a temperature fuse (Called a PTC resistor), but it cannot be seen here.
Note: This protection is enough for some manufacturer to call a battery protected, but a phrase like "pcb protection" or "IC protection" does cover a battery with full protection.

DSC_8583.jpg
DSC_8586.jpg
DSC_8565.jpg

Note the narrowing on the backend of the battery and it also looks like there is something on the side of the battery. Both are signs that this battery has a electronic circuit in the back and usual this circuit is the extended protection. For standalone LiIon batteries (LiCoO2) it is very important that this protection is present. In packs with multiple cells this circuit is usual common for the pack and not mounted in each cell.
Note: Cell is a battery with only one "battery" in it, battery is a collection of cells but also used about a single cell (Does this sentence make sense?).

DSC_8566.jpg
DSC_8567.jpg

In this picture I have removed the wrapper around the battery and the circuit at the bottom of the battery can be seen, together with the wire on the side of the battery.

DSC_8570.jpg
DSC_8571.jpg
DSC_8569.jpg

The wire is connected to the plus pole on the battery and the other end goes to the circuit in the bottom of the battery. The went holes, from the pressure valve, can also easily be seen here, including two more.

DSC_8572.jpg
DSC_8573.jpg
DSC_8574.jpg

The wire is soldered to the circuit at the bottom and another wire goes from the circuit to the bottom of the battery, i.e. the (internal) minus pole. The (external) minus pole of the battery is the backside of the circuit, not the minus pole on the cell.

DSC_8575.jpg

In this picture I have collected all the parts from the battery, the actual 18650 cell in a metal shell, the protection circuit that is mounted at the minus pole of the cell and various isolation pieces and spacers, together with the black wrapper that is placed around everything.
Measuring the cell, without wrapper, wire and circuit, it is exactly 18 mm in diameter and only 64.7 mm long, i.e. the 18650 specification fits.

DSC_8585.jpg
DSC_8576.jpg
DSC_8578.jpg

One these pictures I show some different protection circuits, the last one is for a smaller battery (The scale is different, I have zoomed close on the last picture, all parts looks bigger).
This cirucit usual protect against over discharge, over charge, and to high current drain (Short circuit).

DSC_8580.jpg
DSC_8582.jpg

The protection circuit seen from the backside, i.e. the actual/external minus pole on the protected battery. As can be seen, one of the circuits has an extra metal plate on the back of the circuit, to make the minus pole more durable.

DSC_8585a.jpg
DSC_8576a.jpg
DSC_8578a.jpg

The circuit has two important elements, the blue circle is around the controller chip and the red circle is around the switch that is used to connect/disconnect the battery.

Measuring on the protection circuits I found:
AW:
Current consumption: 4.5 uA, i.e. it will discharge a 2000mAh battery in 50 years
Overdischarge will disconnect at 2.5 volt, but will only reconnect if the battery goes above 3 volt.
Overcharge will disconnect at 4.26 volt and will reconnect when battery is removed from charger.
Voltage drop in circuit at 1 amp and 2.9 volt battery voltage: 25mV

The other big circuit:
Current consumption: 4.2 uA
Overdischarge will disconnect at 2.5 volt, but will not reconnect again except with external voltage (i.e. a charger).
Overcharge will disconnect at 4.26 volt and will reconnect when battery is removed from charger.
Voltage drop in circuit at 1 amp and 2.9 volt battery voltage: 30mV

The small circuit:
Current consumption: 3.9 uA
Overdischarge will disconnect at 2.5 volt, but will not reconnect again except with external voltage (i.e. a charger).
Voltage drop in circuit at 1 amp and 2.9 volt battery voltage: 60mV

The above measurements are only valud for the circuits I have measured on, but gives an indication about what to expect from LiIon protection circuits.

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
aw.. I was hoping you'd disassemble the 18650 cell itself! great pics of the circuit!

HKJ

Flashaholic
aw.. I was hoping you'd disassemble the 18650 cell itself! great pics of the circuit!

I tried to open the top, but my tools was not really sufficient to do it in a orderly manner (I do not consider a hacksaw orderly in this case :D).
But the main purpose was to show the protection circuit and that succeeded.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always wondered as well but didnt want to disect any of the batteries that i had. Thanks for clarifying the makeup of the protection circuit and +10 for the great pics.

K_Labs

Newly Enlightened
Great post. I always wondered about that. I was about 2 make a new thread maybe you could answer my question. I have 2 of the exact same batteries but mine aren't disected. They stopped working all together today. They are protected cells and I checked them out with a voltage meter.... Nothing. Did I discharge them so much that the protection stopped them from putting out power? Or did I kill them both?

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you try putting them back on the charger...it seemed that you tripped the overdischarge protection circuit and in order to reset it the cell needs to go back on the charger. I would put the cell on the charger and wait 2-5 minutes and then take a voltage reading then.

Last edited:

K_Labs

Newly Enlightened
Ty will let you know the result when I get a new charger. I lost my old one :(

HKJ

Flashaholic
I have added some measurements on the protection circuit.
One interesting piece of data showed up, the protection circuit does not have any significant influence on the self discharge.

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for that tid bit.....i wonder then what can cause it, especially if your like me which has more then 2 batts per light that i own. The lights that i edc i tend to rotate the batts out every 2 weeks or should i do it sooner then that.

K_Labs

Newly Enlightened
Well I got a Ultrafire 139 charger yesterday and it was working fine flashing light every 2-3 seconds (I didn't count). Left my batteries on there for about 5 mins tested and they are good 2 go again. Charged them up to about 4.2v is that right? Gotta love those protected cells.

On the other hand. My charger stopped doing the 2-3 second flash and I think it's busted or something. I bought it from DX. Any1 else had this problem?

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I got a Ultrafire 139 charger yesterday and it was working fine flashing light every 2-3 seconds (I didn't count). Left my batteries on there for about 5 mins tested and they are good 2 go again. Charged them up to about 4.2v is that right? Gotta love those protected cells.

On the other hand. My charger stopped doing the 2-3 second flash and I think it's busted or something. I bought it from DX. Any1 else had this problem?

When its done charging it should stay green.......you will only get the flash if its charging the cells.