• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Comparing 5W McCapsule to 5W Aleph2

chrisse242

Enlightened
Hi everybody. since this is all about Alephs, McCapsule, and in generell a task for the most experienced modders, I thought this should be the appropriate forum.
For months I've been thinking about something that would be comparable in output to the L4 but more pleasing to my eyes.
I know many don't recommend using 5W LE's in an Aleph2, mostly because of thermal problems. On the other Hand, some people seem to be succesfull with Longbows, 5W-McCapsules and the Standard longbow-head. Are there better thermal paths in the longbow design or is it simply that no one mentioned the thermal problems before?
In fact I like the longbow design and I already have a micra, so getting a McCapsule to go with it would probably be the cheapest way. I don't really care for two levels for this light, though having them would be nice.
As far as I know, there is no way to get the mini (2x123) tube without buying a mini. Does anybody know of a custom tube that cold be made to work with the micra-head and capsule? Perhaps a tube could be made to accept the longbow head and capsule on one side and the Aleph-tailcaps on the other side? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Tia, Chrisse

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Chrisse,

The E-series feeds batteries from the front and the LB feeds the batteries from the rear. Put a LB front end on a tube with an E series rear end and there is no way to get the batteries in. Now I haven't checked the geometry and it may be that you could have a lip on a shoulder in the front end of the tube to catch the ground from the McCapsule and still have the bore open for the 123 cell to pass. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

chrisse242

Enlightened
I knew I forgot something when that came to my mind.
Can you comment on the differences regarding thermal problems? Would the longbow with stock head be able to handle the heat better than the Aleph2?

Thanks, Chrisse

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I would guess that the LB would have an edge on the Aleph 2 in terms of thermal issues but I don't think it is significant enough to be a primary factor. In either case, current drive level and on cycle time will be thermal considerations.

Kiessling

Flashaholic
I am runiing a BB400 in an Aleph2 without serious problems, but at 660mA (drive current of the L4) I am fairly certain you will run into problems.

Maybe replacing the body and switch of the L4 will help to make it more pleasing to your demanding eyes?

bernhard

chrisse242

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Kiessling said:
Maybe replacing the body and switch of the L4 will help to make it more pleasing to your demanding eyes?
bernhard

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crackup.gif No, actually it's the head that I don't like. There's no reason for this, I just don't like the looks.

Chrisse

Kiessling

Flashaholic
Oh ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ... then you might wanna check the ALeph1 or PR and PR-T heads for more heatsinking capacities ...
Those will give you a much better beam with the LuxV anyway ...

rekombiluxV.jpg

bernie

chrisse242

Enlightened
C'mon you should know better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/whoopin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nana.gif

I want a flood type beam, and I also want a "slimline" light. In fact if I remember correctly, you're the High Priest of flood beams. What about running a BB500 LuxV in either the Aleph2 or the Longbow with stock head for about 20 min.? Anyone has experience with runtimes that long?
Any beamshots of batwing LuxV emitters in an aleph2 or so17xa?

Chrisse

Kiessling

Flashaholic
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
BB500 could be fine provided you are hand-cooling the unit.
I am running a BB600 LuxV in this light ...

L1_BB600_5W_W_on_E1_with_McE2S.jpg

... and it can be left continious-on when hand-cooled. However, there is no thermal junction like with a LE ...

Note: IMHO there is not much difference between BB400,500 and 600 with a LuxV on 1x123 anyway ... when driven at 2x123 it counts though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Note #2: A LuxV in a 27mm package is still a medium flood beam that is more focussed than the L4, but certainly not a thrower either. The light above is pure flood, a LuxV in a so17xa.

realtl4.jpg

L4 stock (660mA)

realtx3t.jpg

McLux PR (27mm) 750mA (X3T)

relux517.jpg

so17xa in Exe-head with LuxV 917mA

just to see the beam patterns.

bernhard

chrisse242

Enlightened
Sounds like it's time for a german cpf meeting I can actually attend to meet you and your collection. ;-) Too many choices... perhaps a lux3 driven hard in an so17xa would work too...

Chrisse