4w 808nm diodes anywhere?

marshall

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to build a 4w IR device which uses double C batteries. Battery life will be extremely short, but it is for firestarting and lab/show purposes so this is not an issue. Does anyone know where to find a C mount type 4w 808nm diode which outputs properly for tight beam collimation? I looked everywhere on the net, but I never seem to have any luck when it comes to diode searching. Thanks guys.

IsaacHayes

Flashlight Enthusiast
Be very carefull with your eyes (and others) as this is invisible mostly and very dangerous. If you can find a 2W or even 1W you should be able to start fires with that. I know fiber optic lasers for networking and such can be in that range. Check ebay but becarefull of course!!

marshall

Newly Enlightened
4w was just the goal I guess you could say. I would view it with a digital camera or nightvision. Also while of coarse using eye protection. I know these things are out there but hard to come across.

bg2vo

Newly Enlightened
If you were in China, I suggest you buy it from HT at: http://www.htoe.com.cn/english/specification/810nmhpld.html
Good quality and much cheaper price. I once asked for quot on LDM-0808-003W-X3 and got the anwser of 2000rmb/ea which is 250usd/ea. This is the company that Coherent China recommended to me when I ask them for quotation. I personally don't like the 5W version because the emitter area is too large and we can always overrun the 3W device to 5W in short period since aging is not a concern at all in battery powered system.

marshall

Newly Enlightened
Too bad I can't run across something with a more proper emitting area. I could over drive a 3w since it would only be on for about 20 seconds.

Spec

Newly Enlightened
An emitting area larger than 100x1um is real hard to collimate to a stable tem00 beam. every now and then you run across 500mW - 1W units with a 50x1um emitter on ebay. those are quite nice.

Draco_Americanus

Enlightened
I am going to try doing the same thing, but I am going to use a 35watt diode laser with a fiber optic cable allready attached. I just hope the diodes I ordered from e-bay work, one guy had them for around 50 bucks but they where as-is and untested. I wish to build it into a maglight using aa batteries with addapters that I allready have

Latest posts